Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, fancy this! I just had to look a little harder:

Hibbing Community College - HCC - Hibbing, MN | MN Transfer Curriculum

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) have developed a common general education curriculum called the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum or MnTC. Completion of all or part of defined 40 credits, distributed among ten goal areas, at one institution enables a student to transfer lower-division general education coursework to any Minnesota public college or university
NJ has something similar.

http://www.nj.gov/highereducation/PD...ementOct08.pdf

We also have NJ TRANSFER: Linking New Jersey's Colleges and Universities to map specific courses from school to school.

Unfortunately, it only applies to public schools. So it shuts out a lot of good choices.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,132,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
NJ has something similar.

http://www.nj.gov/highereducation/PD...ementOct08.pdf

We also have NJ TRANSFER: Linking New Jersey's Colleges and Universities to map specific courses from school to school.

Unfortunately, it only applies to public schools. So it shuts out a lot of good choices.

Plenty of options for 'Those students who are worth a Dam'

Contrary to the OP...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Plenty of options for 'Those students who are worth a Dam'

Contrary to the OP...
There's always opportunity for bright people whether they go to school or not. The OP is implying that those he sees in community college generally are not bright.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,045,585 times
Yeah, the worst decision I made in school was going to a CC for 2 years before transferring (to the 32nd best college in the world). I mean, I paid 18 dollars a unit when I could have done my part for the UC system and paid 375 dollars a unit for the same classes.

Oh, and I had to get taught by a person who isn't more concerned with their next publication (or, y'know, isn't still a grad student).

School is pretty much what you make of it. CCs get a bad rep because they have to accept everyone.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:04 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,137,115 times
Harsh, but true in many cases from my personal observation.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:35 AM

511 posts, read 2,452,205 times
Default Many are bright but most are not motivated!

There are many bright students in my classes but the majority of the students at the Community College where I teach are lazy and unmotivated and do not follow directions. They do not use that brain that God gave them in the same way many students from Private or top notch 4 year colleges do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There's always opportunity for bright people whether they go to school or not. The OP is implying that those he sees in community college generally are not bright.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:27 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,563,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
my brother spent 2 years at the local community college. he said it was ridiculously easy and it was a joke. it was just an extension of high school for the losers who werent going anywhere. they have to make it easier because they are (for the most part) the lowest common denominator (well, i guess they are above the ones that stopped at high school, but not by much).

it worked out good for my brother though. he did well and transferred to a university he wouldnt have been accepted to out of high school. ended up with a regular degree like anyone else and saved my dad some money. so if its really a financial decision and is utilized to get into a good university, it can be used for good.

The flip side is that 4 year universities use the same courses as weeding courses by NOT teaching most of the material and leaving the students to learn it on their own. While I'll admit CC was easy, I'm also certain I learned more than my counterparts who attended 4 year universities from the start. When I transferred, I found that my classmates did not know their calculus to anywhere near the level I did. IMO CC gave me a decided advantage over them.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Well, fancy this! I just had to look a little harder:

Hibbing Community College - HCC - Hibbing, MN | MN Transfer Curriculum

Minnesota State Colleges and Universities (MnSCU) have developed a common general education curriculum called the Minnesota General Education Transfer Curriculum or MnTC. Completion of all or part of defined 40 credits, distributed among ten goal areas, at one institution enables a student to transfer lower-division general education coursework to any Minnesota public college or university
Last time I checked, the state schools were not public schools...also ONLY those certain credits transfer, not ALL of them, which is why I said they don't automatically transfer. Call the private schools in your area and ask about credit transfers....

Quote:
Well, and what do you think TAs at a large college do? Make up their own rubric?

I looked around on google and couldn't find anything to confirm or deny what you said about CC credits transferring in MN. However, I'd be real skeptical that "none" of the private schools accept CC credits. Most of them accept IB/AP, and CC courses are most definitely the equivalent or more difficult.

The statement in bold is absolutely not true. I know many students who went to elite private colleges who took summer courses at the U of CO for credit.

At many colleges, you don't have much choice over whose section you get assigned to. At large colleges, there are simply too many people taking the courses to individulaize it to such an extent, and at small colleges, sometimes only one prof is teaching the class.
Most elite private schools do NOT take credit for IB/AP any longer and if they do it is only for 4 or 5 on the tests. They will often give PLACEMENT but not credit. CC classes are not in the same league, at least here, with an AP/IB class.

As for your "many" kids that went to "elite" private colleges, they may have gotten prior approval for those classes or their school may have had an arrangement for those classes but if you call the admissions office directly at schools like Notre Dame, Harvard, etc. they will tell you flat out that they don't accept transfer credits from CC's or most 4-year schools. Notre Dame doesn't even accept dual enrollment credits from high school students per the admissions officer when we did our campus tour this past summer.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,548,988 times
The whole credit accepting thing for AP/IB/CC classes is a real role of the dice when one is a HS student. You need to take the hardest classes you can do well in but since one doesn't know what school they will be accepted to until (usually) the second half of senior year, it's not a given that any of those classes will be accepted. My youngest son's NON-elite private College would not accept less then 4's and 5's for AP classes and would not even take all of his classes. They said they would take his CS classes from both a CC and one from Penn State, but that isn't a direct replacement.

I would never suggest taking CC classes and expect them to transfer automatically. Same with AP or IB classes. BUT, if one is already in a college and just needs one or two classes to fulfill a gen ed credit, it's also fairly common for the four year college to okay a local CC class for replacement.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:48 AM

511 posts, read 2,452,205 times
I have a number of my students in the summer term who are attending a wide variety of Private Liberal Arts Colleges who come home and take classes at their local Community College. The Private Liberal Arts Colleges they attend will not encourage them to take Summer classes at the Community College because that is one (or more) less classes they will end up taking at their home school (at their inflated price per course), but if they work with their academic adviser they find that formal permission can be given and the class at the Community College will transfer and count towards graduation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Last time I checked, the state schools were not public schools...also ONLY those certain credits transfer, not ALL of them, which is why I said they don't automatically transfer. Call the private schools in your area and ask about credit transfers....

Most elite private schools do NOT take credit for IB/AP any longer and if they do it is only for 4 or 5 on the tests. They will often give PLACEMENT but not credit. CC classes are not in the same league, at least here, with an AP/IB class.

As for your "many" kids that went to "elite" private colleges, they may have gotten prior approval for those classes or their school may have had an arrangement for those classes but if you call the admissions office directly at schools like Notre Dame, Harvard, etc. they will tell you flat out that they don't accept transfer credits from CC's or most 4-year schools. Notre Dame doesn't even accept dual enrollment credits from high school students per the admissions officer when we did our campus tour this past summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities