Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 08:11 AM

371 posts, read 556,610 times

Advertisements

In a P/F class, it makes sense that the students would do the minimum to get a Pass given other competing uses of their time. Raising the minimum is the only thing that could be done here.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:09 AM

195 posts, read 231,751 times
All classes in the Administrative Assistant Program are pass fail and the Instructor has no control over this. So I suspect the other six Instructors are all facing lazy students doing the absolute minimum.

She brings up the lazy students to her fellow instructors and most don't seem to care because they are being paid very well and think that the whole program is a big joke but don't complain because they like all the money they are making. Others have some interest but go with the attitude that the students have a lot of things on their plate at home and school should be second on their list. If they learn one or two things, that is fine.

My friend, disagrees and thinks we are teaching the students that doing the minimum is fine and they will have serious struggles when they graduate and attempt to do well in the real world where they will be fired if they are lazy and complain they have too many outside concerns to work hard.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times
It's the administrators who decided the classes should be pass/fail who have created this situation. For the students to be motivated, the classes would have to be on a conventional grading system. That is what needs to be addressed, but no one but your friend seems to care. The Dean is an idiot.

I can't imagine an entire program on being an administrative assistant. There's really not much to teach. Basic computer skills, time management skills, maybe organizational skills. Of course the program is a joke. Admin Ass't isn't what job retraining funds should be used for, since anyone with a BA can take those jobs, and there are plenty of unemployed BA grads. Job retraining funds should be used to teach engineering skills to people in the construction trades and auto industry and machine shops, which now require basic engineering with relevant computer programs. Admin assistant jobs now require website design and maintenance skills on a variety of computer programs, Power Point, and other technical computer-based skills.

What are the components of this program? What are they teaching?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:21 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,618,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Job retraining funds should be used to teach engineering skills to people in the construction trades and auto industry and machine shops, which now require basic engineering with relevant computer programs.
I agree!

And there are a few programs here and there that are doing that that: DMACC in Newton (IA) is training welders and mechanics for several local companies. These students are booted from the program if they don't give it their all, so these grads will be working in their field, a win-win for everyone.

However, for every one of those worthwhile programs, there are at least a dozen others that are a complete joke.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 PM

195 posts, read 231,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't imagine an entire program on being an administrative assistant. There's really not much to teach. Basic computer skills, time management skills, maybe organizational skills. Of course the program is a joke. Admin Ass't isn't what job retraining funds should be used for, since anyone with a BA can take those jobs, and there are plenty of unemployed BA grads. Job retraining funds should be used to teach engineering skills to people in the construction trades and auto industry and machine shops, which now require basic engineering with relevant computer programs. Admin assistant jobs now require website design and maintenance skills on a variety of computer programs, Power Point, and other technical computer-based skills.

What are the components of this program? What are they teaching?
It is actually quite a good program in theory if the students and teachers would take it seriously. After I heard the story I looked it up and the classes are just full of information that many people in Administrative Support should know but usually don't. Classes include: MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote. Quicken and QuickBooks. Writing Skills, Grammar, etc. Office Communication and Soft Career Skills, Tips for Career Success and Job Hunting Skills. (150 hours in training)

Old 06-04-2015, 01:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,618,516 times
Of course there are unmotivated students, and the structure of a pass-fail class does little to inspire motivation.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Instructor could give them a quiz at the start of every class to legitimatize a grade of Fail.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 847 times
mm_mary73
Starting a sentence with a lowercase? Its seems the pot is calling the kettle black when it comes to writing grammatically incorrect sentences. ��
Me thinks you must be one of students this math teacher calls the 80%. Keep puffing on that reefer.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:25 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Well, yeah.
I imagine you'd have a different set of problems teaching at Harvard.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,548,988 times
Closing thread by non-member

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities