Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No, they just have more money.
On average they are better students since a university has entrance requirements.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:48 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,906,596 times
I think community colleges are a far underutilized part of the education system in the US. I think they serve a great purpose, and they are a great way to save a lot of money for those who hope to continue on to university. With all of the focus on college costs these days, it would be ill-advised not to learn more about what community colleges have to offer.
In fact, if I were to do it all again, I would have gone to my local community college to get the "generals" out of the way before finishing up at college. I could have saved $40-50K that way.
Down the road, my children will most certainly consider CCs while making their higher education decisions.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,442,993 times
I taught undergrad Chemistry at a state university. A lot of the ones who transfered in from CC after taking chemistry there were not well enough prepared for the level of gen chem at the university and many got the rear ends kicked. Many of the classes are so watered down at CC's that they don't prerpare you well enough for the rigor of full level college classes when you transfer.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,906,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I taught undergrad Chemistry at a state university. A lot of the ones who transfered in from CC after taking chemistry there were not well enough prepared for the level of gen chem at the university and many got the rear ends kicked. Many of the classes are so watered down at CC's that they don't prerpare you well enough for the rigor of full level college classes when you transfer.
I work at a tier one university, and I can say with confidence that some of the best students here came from community colleges. I'm not trying to start a useless "he said, she said" argument, just pointing out that community colleges -- just as high school or any educational institution -- are just what people make of them. There will be high achievers out of CCs just as there will be low achievers who come directly to the university from high school.
I still hold that the cost savings of CCs is more than enough reason to get one's generals out of the way.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 PM

924 posts, read 2,605,665 times
My personal experience with community college echoes what the OP said. I went to community college because I already had a job in the career I wanted and just wanted to get a piece of paper to add to my resume. I was in the minority though.

I would say 90% of the people I went to school with were people who either weren't smart enough or weren't motivated enough to make it into a 4 year school. 5% were people like me who were using it as a more cost-effective means to the first 2 years of college, and the final 5% were older people who were trying to get into careers that they had no aptitude for.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:31 PM

238 posts, read 315,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I would say 90% of the people I went to school with were people who either weren't smart enough or weren't motivated enough to make it into a 4 year school. 5% were people like me who were using it as a more cost-effective means to the first 2 years of college, and the final 5% were older people who were trying to get into careers that they had no aptitude for.
Don't forget the segment of the population whose loans are in deferment status, thanks to signing up for six units to meet the requirement!

I used to be one of those. The big difference was that I worked my tail off to maintain good grades (all As and one B in the 24 plus units I completed) even though I already held my baccalaureate!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,059,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I teach Management classes in the Business Program at a large Community College as an Adjunct Professor as a second job in the evening. I have also taught full time students in the day time too.

Sometimes when I can't sleep I get philosophical about the thousands of students who have come through my classes in the last 15 years. Many are nice enough and many put in some effort but in general America is in serious trouble if these people are going to someday work in responsible positions in corporate America.

What hits me is how many of the Community College students just don't care, are lazy and not so bright. Many even in their 20s and 30s are incredibly naive about academics, organization and education. They also seem incredibly naive about what awaits them in the real world if they graduate.

Most of the students who come through my Management 101 class will take a handful of classes at the Community College and then drop out and then go into a number of dead end jobs for the rest of their life.

My situation is not unique. My fellow Professors report the quality of students are at an all time low and each year the group gets worse and worse. All in an era when we are facing incredible competition from Asia.

Tell me the students are better in a four year college!
Boy, you sound like a horrible teacher. After my experience at a university AND community college. I think community colleges offer a sound alternative to universities. If one pursues a degree in nursing, respiratory therapy, and, even O.T.A at the community college, as opposed to a degree at the university, it is more practical to attend a community college. As for the pseudo intellectuals claiming community colleges are warehouses for so called unmotivated students, my brother who has a degree in molecular biology, stated the professors at community colleges are, sometimes, better than the professors at universities. It appears, according to him, the professors at universities care more about research money et al. rather than students. I think the author of this thread may be a prime example.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM

219 posts, read 431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
Don't forget the segment of the population whose loans are in deferment status, thanks to signing up for six units to meet the requirement!

I used to be one of those. The big difference was that I worked my tail off to maintain good grades (all As and one B in the 24 plus units I completed) even though I already held my baccalaureate!
So you took college classes after getting your undergraduate degree just to keep your loans in deferment? Is that one of those "makes sense if you don't think about" decisions?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,059,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
On average they are better students since a university has entrance requirements.
Do some research, not all universities have "entrance requirements". The University of Maine does not have "entrance requirements" at all campuses. While you may "poo poo" The University of Maine "U.S News and World Reports" ranks UMFK as one of the top small colleges in the northeast. http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...fort-kent-2041

Last edited by FlowerPower00; 04-08-2013 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Thought it was "Newsweek".

Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,747,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I work at a tier one university, and I can say with confidence that some of the best students here came from community colleges. I'm not trying to start a useless "he said, she said" argument, just pointing out that community colleges -- just as high school or any educational institution -- are just what people make of them. There will be high achievers out of CCs just as there will be low achievers who come directly to the university from high school.
I still hold that the cost savings of CCs is more than enough reason to get one's generals out of the way.
Exactly. Of course, this should be obvious to anyone with any critical thinking skills. You can no more generalize about "community colleges" than you can about "state universities" or "public high schools".

Some suck, some don't. Pretty simple.

I was a CC student and transferred to a four year school last semester. For the most part, I would say my CC classes are about equal to classes I took last semester that were lower level that I needed for degree requirements. My upper level courses are a bit more challenging but nothing I don't feel prepared for, just a natural progression in the level of challenge from lower to upper level.

I've also taken internet based courses both at the CC and now at the university, and so far the university online courses have been MUCH easier, much less demanding, yet more expensive of course. The biggest differences for me as a transfer student have been the class sizes; my CC classes were smaller and I felt like I got to know the instructors better. It felt more personal. I still see these professors and instructors around town and years later they will stop and say hello and call me by name.

I have some awesome professors at the university but I don't kid myself into thinking they know the student's names and I had equally awesome instructors at the CC. Then again some of these university courses are huge lecture hall courses. Next year most of my classes are very small and specific only to my major so I am hoping it will be more intimate.

If my former CC were to, tomorrow, become a four year school and offer a BA I'd return in a heartbeat (especially considering the MASSIVE cost difference!)... tuition there is approximately $2000 for a 9 month (2 semester) period at 15 hours per semester. My "inexpensive" public university tuition is about $9000 for the same amount of credit hours per semester. Do I see the difference in the type of education I am now getting vs at the CC? Maybe, but not THAT kind of $$ difference, honestly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities