Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times

Advertisements

Minnesota has 72% of it's high school juniors take the ACT and the average score is 23, which is considered "college ready", unlike Illinois where only 1/4 of the kids that took the ACT scored high enough to be considered "college ready". The ACT is not required here but as you can see, almost 3/4ths of our students take the test, which isn't far behind the actual number of Illinois kids that take the ACT when you take out the exempt kids. MN also leads the nation in SAT average scores. This is why most kids here do not go to CC's--they are PAST that level of learning by the time they graduate from high school.

In comparison--if you average out the other 18% difference, assign them all very low scores of 16 and average out all of the scores, the MN "average" would still be a whole point above Illinois.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
You obviously did not read what I posted from one of the links, based off of actual data

"Upon reviewing the statistics,research demonstrates that community college students tend to earn a higher GPA than students who begin their academic careers at a four-year university. For example, according to the UNLV Institutional Analysis and Planning, transfer students from community college maintain a higher GPA in comparison to first-year students. "

So your argument is that overall 4-year college students are smarter, yet have no facts to back up the statement, yet I provide information that is based on statistics showing that CC students who transfer to 4-year schools have, and maintain higher GPA's than students who did not attend a CC, which quite simply means your wrong, because if students in 4-year schools were smarter, as you state and again with no proof, then they would have the higher GPA's, and would maintain the higher GPA's.

And since you have issue with program specifics, this statistic is based on all CC students, and is not program specific.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:"For example, according to the UNLV Institutional Analysis and Planning, transfer students from community college maintain a higher GPA in comparison to first-year students."

This is ridiculous. 1). If they transferred from a 2-year CC, they are two years older, and have two more years of schooling. Of course they may have an initial higher GPA than straight-out-of-high-school college freshmen.
2). If you have an 8th grader, let's throw them in a class with 10th graders, and see how they do.

3). Every 4-year university I have been to (4 of them, Cambridge MA, Palo Alto CA, Upstate NY and in Boston, all degreed) won't even accept transfer credits from any CC.

4). As a hiring manager for several Fortune-500 companies, we didn't even look at potential applicants from CC's for any professional job (perhaps maybe an administrative assistant or so would be ok), and even those from 4-year universities had to be on an 'acceptable university' list. (Remember I am just the messenger, I didn't set the rules, so don't beat me up).

Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

3). Every 4-year university I have been to (4 of them, Cambridge MA, Palo Alto CA, Upstate NY and in Boston, all degreed) won't even accept transfer credits from any CC.
Same with my university.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post

4). As a hiring manager for several Fortune-500 companies, we didn't even look at potential applicants from CC's for any professional job (perhaps maybe an administrative assistant or so would be ok), and even those from 4-year universities had to be on an 'acceptable university' list. (Remember I am just the messenger, I didn't set the rules, so don't beat me up).
These rules make sense. With an abundance of college grads, I see the university ranking becoming a larger factor in job hiring.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:41 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did you comletely miss this post?
Yes.

That still doesn't change the main point of the data which is those in a university are much better students.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,527,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Same with my university.

These rules make sense. With an abundance of college grads, I see the university ranking becoming a larger factor in job hiring.
I think it's a matter of time before universities are broken down by rank when compiling salary/job data. The person who got a degree from a tier 3 school or for profit should not be considered the same as someone who received their degree from a top 100/etc school.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
Everybody has some worth
To b fair I think it's a case of lack of focus and direction
Career counselors trying to fill seats with useless courses r not helping

Old 12-11-2011, 06:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,770,897 times
Personally, I am a fan of the community colleges. I was a bonehead in high school with poor grades, so I attended community college to get a fresh start. It was great. I earned a B+ average and never looked back. Earned a BS, MA, and PhD over time, and none of the teachers were any better than those guys at the community college.

So, it does provide a service that really helps people. Especially the "late bloomers" like me....

Looking back, I think the biggest eye opener for me was a half year as a day laborer at a manufacturing plant. I knew that I wanted more, and when I went back to the CC, I was plenty motivated. A lot of kids need that reality check to find their inner student. Are they the best and brightest? No, but the CC is a tremendous value to lower income citizens, and very valuable.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,748,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why would you go to a school that doesn't have good fin. aid and scholarship options? Perhaps the school has a major you really want to pursue.

Could you provide some documentation that you can't get student loans to go to a CC that includes living expenses?
First of all he is wrong. My brother went to CC for two years due to family issues (mostly I needed him to help out with our younger sister) and he got a completely free ride plus a significant amount of aid towards living expenses. This was only about 6 yo. He then went on to a very good engineering program at a university where he also got scholarships, and need based aid.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Minnesota has 72% of it's high school juniors take the ACT and the average score is 23, which is considered "college ready", unlike Illinois where only 1/4 of the kids that took the ACT scored high enough to be considered "college ready". The ACT is not required here but as you can see, almost 3/4ths of our students take the test, which isn't far behind the actual number of Illinois kids that take the ACT when you take out the exempt kids. MN also leads the nation in SAT average scores. This is why most kids here do not go to CC's--they are PAST that level of learning by the time they graduate from high school.

In comparison--if you average out the other 18% difference, assign them all very low scores of 16 and average out all of the scores, the MN "average" would still be a whole point above Illinois.
That's some pretty fuzzy math there.

If few MN kids going to CC, why does MN have 29 community colleges?

Minnesota Colleges | Minnesota Universities | Community Colleges | Listing By Name | USA | MN

Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I think it's a matter of time before universities are broken down by rank when compiling salary/job data. The person who got a degree from a tier 3 school or for profit should not be considered the same as someone who received their degree from a top 100/etc school.
And someone who got a degree from a top 100 school should not be considered the same as someone who got a degree from a good school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities