Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:13 PM

159 posts, read 575,559 times

Advertisements

They need to join the Big 10. They play all of the Big 10 schools anyway and there are already two other Big 10 schools in Indiana. The independent schools are usually the ones that just got moved up from 1-AA and are trying to get a conference to invite them in. Besides, it always complicates the bowl picture when they try to figure out how Notre Dame fits into the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,402 times
Default Go Irish!

A campus visit...you will not believe what you feel. It is peace. And there is a bond among the students. There is a spirit.

Charlie is a saint of a coach. He has standards for his team. ND will shine in 2008/2009.

Women are showing off their talents! Soccer, basketball, softball...makes ND proud!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
This will help, this is huge:

First and Tenuta, Fighting Irish :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Colleges (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/770756,CST-SPT-nd01.article - broken link)

Go Irish!

Old 02-01-2008, 03:48 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,666,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onefussytraveler View Post
A campus visit...you will not believe what you feel. It is peace. And there is a bond among the students. There is a spirit.
It really is an amazingly beautiful campus. That, the academic excellence, the Catholic character, and the deep traditions are all things that keep kids coming to Notre Dame from all over the world. I worked on campus for five years, and I loved being part of that atmosphere.

I hope ND doesn't ever decide to water down its academic standards for student-athletes. That's one of the things that sets ND apart. Kudos to the colleges who can recruit the big lunkheads for their sports teams and then push them through college with basket-weaving classes. I get that. Bringing in talented athletes, regardless of their academic acuity, keeps those colleges' teams in the top of the national rankings. That keeps the seats filled, and that means more money for the colleges, and that means even more recruiting. It's great if it works.

Notre Dame just happens to want good students who are ALSO good athletes. Those kids are out there. They're just getting harder to find, maybe. But all a kid has to do is spend a weekend at Notre Dame, and he'd probably get swept right off his feet. By the way, no, it doesn't snow 4 feet a day in South Bend, and it's only 90 minutes from South Bend to downtown Chicago. It's not as if it's in the middle of nowhere.

Will ND football eventually join a conference? It wouldn't surprise me, but I hope not. Everyone wants to play ND, and that means ND still gets to put together a truly national schedule every year. Being in a conference is so limiting in terms of who can play each other.

But if they do join a conference, look toward the Big East, not the Big Ten. All of ND's other sports teams already belong to the Big East.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:44 PM

I wish they would join the Big 10. Both places would benefit academically and athletically.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:52 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,928,104 times
Hey Adrian, 90 mins from South Bend to downtown? Maybe in the middle of the night, or on Sunday. It takes longer than that, but yes it isn't in the middle of nowhere either.

Notre Dame will not join a conference unless NBC doesn't re-up their contract. It is all about money, that is why everyone else is in the Big East except the football team.

I wouldn't mind seeing ND in the Big 10, I'd like to see them get beat up on a little more. Just kidding. But Adrian is right, I'm sure they would follow suit and join the Big East.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 AM

Wouldn't it be hysterical if they let ND join the big 10 for football only???? It would never happen, but it would be funny. With Cincinnati, DePaul and Marquette in the big east ... no no no no no!!!! Not the big east dang it!!! The Big 10 is where they belong. I'd love to see OSU on the schedule on a regular basis and at least ND would be able to keep those 2 michigan schools and Purdon't on their schedule. I just don't see a big whoop-dee do when ND plays Marquette ... do they even play football? I don't think DePaul puts a team on the field do they???

Old 02-02-2008, 07:54 AM

No, I don't think DePaul even has a team. Well that's the same thing as the cake walk schedule they normally role out with, with a couple hard teams just to look good. Ha Ha Ha. I know I'm going to catch some hell for that one. ND is the only team that can be unranked and win 2 games, then they are in the Top 10.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:01 AM

Appalachian State ...

Old 02-02-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Appalachian State ...
Oh here we go now. Even though they are a Division 1-AA school, they do have a very good football team. They have won like 3 National Championships in a row or something like that. So I really wouldn't consider them a cake walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football