Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the Nat'l Championship?
Notre Dame 14 17.07%
Alabama 68 82.93%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,986,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
The Irish dont stand a chance against 'Bama. Yes 'Bama is favored, but the Irish will still get the most media attention over the next 5 weeks and watch Saban use that to fire his team up. The Irish have been overrated all year and they will be exposed on 1-7-2013.

Notre Dame couldnt beat Florida, LSU, UGA, South Carolina or Texas A&M.....

The BCS is a joke.
Yeah Notre Dame will get all the attention...and all of it will be saying how we don't stand a chance.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,518,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post

Yeah that's Lou Holtz's NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ring. I'd say he knows just a tad about college football.

Oh and Holtz is 12-0 picking ND games this year.
I couple of things about Lou Holtz picking Notre Dame. First, he picked them for emotional and sentimental reason. Secondly, ND had a RELATIVELY easy path to going undefeated. I will not diminish ND's season, for anyone to go undefeated is an accomplishment.

Lou Holtz was lucky, not skilled in his predictions.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,882,759 times
One thing is for sure, the equal absolute hate for both of these programs will be shown time and time again before 1-7-13.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,103,379 times
Notre Dame barely beat Michigan at home...emphasis on barely.....Alabama literally destroyed Michigan...on a neutral field no less. Anyone who thinks the Irish D is elite after that cupcake schedule they played is insane. Anyone can have an elite D when you play the likes of Navy, Pitt, BC, and a very overrated USC team. Alabama plays real football in the SEC, Notre Dame plays cupcake sisters of the poor football.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,103,379 times
Quote:
Yeah Notre Dame will get all the attention...and all of it will be saying how we don't stand a chance.
I highly doubt that, Im pretty sure the SEC hate will cloud peoples judgement and make more people than you think pick the Irish.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM

8,805 posts, read 10,255,341 times
Go Irish, please.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,118,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
ND will not be able to score against Bama...
Agreed

Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,758,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
I couple of things about Lou Holtz picking Notre Dame. First, he picked them for emotional and sentimental reason. Secondly, ND had a RELATIVELY easy path to going undefeated. I will not diminish ND's season, for anyone to go undefeated is an accomplishment.

Lou Holtz was lucky, not skilled in his predictions.
How you figure easy>

When we played Michigan,Michigan St,Stanford,Oklahoma they were ALL ranked! We had one of the hardest schedules and we whooped butt!

Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,199,764 times
Quote:

Yeah that's Lou Holtz's NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP ring. I'd say he knows just a tad about college football.

Oh and Holtz is 12-0 picking ND games this year.
Yeah. And how does one go from 12-0 to 0-12 if one is even a decent coach? That's the question that remains to be answered.

Back to the original question. Remember the 2007 Sugar Bowl when Notre Dame was eviscerated by LSU team 41-14? I'm pretty sure that's what the Irish have to look forward to. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Old 12-03-2012, 01:08 PM

518 posts, read 407,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yeah. And how does one go from 12-0 to 0-12 if one is even a decent coach? That's the question that remains to be answered.

Back to the original question. Remember the 2007 Sugar Bowl when Notre Dame was eviscerated by LSU team 41-14? I'm pretty sure that's what the Irish have to look forward to. I'd like to be wrong, but I don't think I am.
History's relevant in some cases, but not necessarily all cases. The truth is, we don't really know just how good either of these teams are. I would agree Alabama has played more teams that are in the top 10, but let's not forget, the Tide lost one of those games and very easily could have lost two others. They haven't been dominant against any of the top ten teams that they've faced.

By contrast, Notre Dame actually did dominate one of the better teams that it faced in OU. It did struggle a bit against Stanford, but Stanford's a legitimate top ten team - as legitimate as any out there. The Cardinal can play both sides of the ball, so there's no shame in having to go to OT to resolve that contest.

The one thing that remains to be seen is how comparable are OU and Stanford to the best of the SEC. Last year, we knew the answer to that question because LSU played Pac 12 champ Oregon and manhandled them early in the season. This year? There's really no basis for comparison. It's a question that will probably be answered in the bowl games leading up to the BCS title game. If the SEC goes out and crushes its opponents and OU and Stanford struggle, then I think we'll know the answer to that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football