Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,025,407 times

Advertisements

I dunno, I see no real glaring weaknesses in Texas (do they ever have any?)

And most preseason mags I read said that Oklahoma should be much improved this year all around.

Colorado is a MESS and the Kansas schools need a couple of years to really get cracking from what I saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
I think (just a hunch) that at least one of the two big headliners of late will have a down year in the Big 12 South, even without many injuries. I also see improvement from Colorado, but whether that translates to a much improved record remains to be seen.

Texas Tech will be better-coached in my opinion than it was last year. While there are a few question marks at certain positions, they aren't as serious as they were back in February thanks to new arrivals. The QB controversy is overblown, esp. since neither are primadonnas.
So, who do you think will start? Will Tuberville play both of them or is he going to pick a starter and stick with him (as long as he does well).

Oregon has two QBs competing, but Kelly has said he will pick one and stick with him.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM

2,328 posts, read 3,942,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
So, who do you think will start? Will Tuberville play both of them or is he going to pick a starter and stick with him (as long as he does well).

Oregon has two QBs competing, but Kelly has said he will pick one and stick with him.
Sheffield was the clear leader in the spring until he re-injured his foot. Then Potts injured his throwing hand. Both are healed now. Potts won a quarterback challenge against about eight or so other college players at a camp, but who knows what that means. Tuberville said that he'll pick a starter for the season and that would be it, unless the starter is really struggling against a team, or is injured. If one is benched in favor of another, the guy not playing won't get into a shouting match with the coaches, for sure.

Last season the team seemed to respond better to Sheffield. He's now over 200 pounds, so his slight build is no longer an issue. The competition willl be interesting and fun to watch.

In Oregon's case, sometimes the team overall plays better when a more level-headed guy is leading the charge, from what I've seen in the past.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I can't wait for the Pac10 to meet Vontaze Burfict, this year.
What's up with Vontaze?

azcentral.com blogs - Doug Haller on ASU football - DouglasHaller - Day 1 practice report

Old 08-06-2010, 01:31 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,025,407 times
Well unsurprisingly, Bama tops USA today's absolutely meaningless poll. (do people in basketball pay as much attention to this silly polls?)

They do look FEARSOME though...

Looks like they chose the Luke Oil Can for the Big 10 championship game, not bad, but I really wanted Soldier Field.

Last edited by waltlantz; 08-06-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,520,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Well unsurprisingly, Bama tops USA today's absolutely meaningless poll. (do people in basketball pay as much attention to this silly polls?)

They do look FEARSOME though...

Looks like they chose the Luke Oil Can for the Big 10 championship game, not bad, but I really wanted Soldier Field.
I am just seeing several of the teams near the top could potentially be overrated while some teams not even on the top 25 be rather underrated. I just really have a hard time justifying polls until after 4 weeks of the season. One thing that it seems the preseason polls do is generally favor the traditional powers and taking the previous season too much into account even if there is signifcant turnover in roster. I remember seeing a chart comparing overrated and underrated teams by comparing preseason and end of season polls, the most overrated teams are predominantly the traditional powers.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 AM

8,805 posts, read 10,258,386 times
Time to bring this thread back up, the season starts tomorrow.

Happy Football Season everyone!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,413,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post

First of all, from everything I hear, Munns is a great kid, hard worker, and leader. He DOES deserve to start, to start the wear.

Burfict is a thug. Probably some disciplinary stuff, and he is probably moping. I imagine he won't start, but will play heavily the first two games. Then MAGICALLY he'll be back in the starting lineup by the time we go to Madison, and for Pac9 play.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:03 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,413,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Time to bring this thread back up, the season starts tomorrow.

Happy Football Season everyone!
It's the most wonderful time, of the year....I'm wet, hard and sweaty with excitement.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:16 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,285,909 times
My Predictions:
OU loses to Texas
Texas loses to K-State
OU and Texas end with 1 loss each, but Texas gets to go to Big 12 title game
Texas beats Nebraska in Big 12 Title game
Texas ends up in Fiesta Bowl
Notre Dame surges back this year and gets 10 wins and a BCS berth
Ohio State falls flat, loses the Big 10 to Iowa (but Iowa gets one loss to someone else)
Boise State loses to Virginia Tech in season opener.
Alabama gets one loss
Florida gets two losses
Alabama still wins the SEC
TCU runs the table, but is snubbed by BCS for a one loss Alabama
Oregon runs the table

Title Game: Alabama vs. Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football