Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 06:07 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^I appreciate the insight from a Duck fan. I like Oregon and the Pac10. My favorite major conference. I was simply pointing out, rightly, that the game was not that close. Not nearly as close as the score. I agree it would be a close match up now, Im sure you dont discount BSU like alot of these guys on here do....
Naw, I don't discount them. They are a solid program. However, their schedule is going to work against them and that is how it goes. It may not be fair, but that's life. I can sympathize about not getting the chance to play when you are a team that is worthy. Oregon was robbed out of a shot at the NC back in 2001 when Nebraska got in over us despite not even winning their division (and getting smoked against Colorado in the B-12 Champ.). Boise knows they need the top teams to lose. They need a lot of attrition in the major conferences and may get it as Bama has already lost, Oregon has some issues, and Nebraska has struggled at times.

But, all this back and forth about Boise State is really getting old.

If Oregon happens to play Boise State in a BCS game, ain't no way the Broncos stoppin this Duck backfield VVV (check out link first)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmMME...eature=related

Last edited by Acuda; 10-14-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,981 times
In Pac-10 news. Looks like the divisions are shaping up: North- Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Cal, UW, Wazzu South- USC, UCLA, Zona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado

And of course SC is whining, pathetic little losers. They want to pull a Texas and control all the money. They also want to keep all the recruits, having all the TV exposure, and have every possible advantage to...well, cheat. What I don't get is Haden complaining about the Pac going for the money. More like make it fair, unlike what it is now. What a douche.

USC athletic director Pat Haden unhappy with direction of Pac-10 divisions - ESPN Los Angeles

Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,520,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
If Ohio State is sitting at 11-1 they will get in before Boise.

Any BCS team sitting at one loss would get in before Boise. Remember last year? Cincinnati was going to the NT game before the Boise State Donkeys. LOLs. Cincinnati has more respect with the pollsters than Boise. LOLs.

Especially an Ohio State, LSU, Florida, USC etc.....

Who do you think runs college football? Who do you think brings in the most advertising dollars?

I can't believe people actually think the BCS people would let Boise in under any circumstance.

College football is run more by politics than any other sport.

Might as well get used to it. Or stop watching. Cause it ain't changing.

Boise will be lucky to be ranked 5th if they are undefeated at the end of the year.
One issue though, isn't there always the risk the college football system gets hit with a lawsuit or congressional action for anti-trust/cartel issues? Also the tax-exempt status will also come under question. They could get away with it as long as it doesn't seem flagrant.

Another interesting scenario that may pop up. What happens if Ohio State and Michigan State run the table? Is it possible it would be set up to see two teams in the same conference in the BCS championship? Though this is the last year it would involve two unbeatens in the same conference due to expansion and a championship game.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:15 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,512,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
One issue though, isn't there always the risk the college football system gets hit with a lawsuit or congressional action for anti-trust/cartel issues? Also the tax-exempt status will also come under question. They could get away with it as long as it doesn't seem flagrant.

Another interesting scenario that may pop up. What happens if Ohio State and Michigan State run the table? Is it possible it would be set up to see two teams in the same conference in the BCS championship? Though this is the last year it would involve two unbeatens in the same conference due to expansion and a championship game.
I don't think it will ever get to congressional action. The biggest proponent of that was Utah Senator Orrin Hatch. He graduated from BYU which will probably get the same deal as Notre Dame. And the Utes just got AQ status. He should be happy.

And the schools could just choose to not participate in the BCS anymore if they wanted to. They could make just as much money without it. And the bowls are private businesses. If they want to sign a contract with a conference or team I don't think Congress cn do anything about it.

Plus, they would have to get support from Senators from states like Oklahoma, Ohio, Michigan, Florida etc...

Then again it is Congress. LOLs.

I've been wondering about Michigan State-Ohio State also. I'm not sure it would happen. I kinda hope it doesn't. It would be bad for college football to have 2 teams from the same conference in. I don't think MSU is good enough to run the tables. And they would probably end up like Auburn when Oklahoma-USC played. If 2 teams with bigger national names have the same record they would get picked over MSU.

I really would like to see Ohio State-Nebraska the most. As an OSU fan it is the last chance we ever get to play them in a bowl.

One thing that seems really unfair to me. Villanova has been asked to join the Big East in football. They haven't decided yet. They would get AQ status right away even though they have been FCS status for years. Doesn't seem fair to schools like TCU and Boise. 'Nova is 4-0 all-time againt the Florida Gators.

I still think the Big East should have tried to grab Missouri, Kansas, K-State and ISU when it looked like the Big 12 was going to implode. I think those schools would have gone at that time. It would make for a very respectable fb conference. And a nice 20-team bb league.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 AM

977 posts, read 1,958,379 times
The Big East is terrible. The fact that they have AQ status and the MWC and WAC don't is ridiculous. Both conferences are easily and consistently better than the Big East. Villanova will come in and right away be the best team in the conference.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:29 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,025,407 times
..............riiiiiiiiighhhht

Anyways, about the Pac-10. I am unsure what the SC AD is upset about. It seems like a good compromise to keep everyone in California.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:47 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,512,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
The Big East is terrible. The fact that they have AQ status and the MWC and WAC don't is ridiculous. Both conferences are easily and consistently better than the Big East. Villanova will come in and right away be the best team in the conference.

Since 2000 the Big East has won 80% of games against the WAC. They have a winning percentage against the MWC also. The Big East also has a winning percentgae againt the ACC, Big 12 and SEC..........Not bad for a "terrible" conference.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:56 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
True that was a debacle... of course USC was cheating back then... (i.e. Reggie Bush and all...)
2 years ago? Are you talking about when OU got in after getting thumped by K-State in the BigXII Championship? Wasn't that in 2002?

Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,285,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
2 years ago? Are you talking about when OU got in after getting thumped by K-State in the BigXII Championship? Wasn't that in 2002?
No, he was asking why Oklahoma was let into the National Championship game 2 years ago (against Florida) in 2008, when they were slaughtered by USC 55-19 in the national championship game in 2004.

You see, I was making a point about Ohio State losing in the national championship in 2006 and 2007 (when they had Troy Smith) and saying how I'd prefer not to see another over-rated Ohio State team in there again. But granted, this is a new Ohio State team-- so you can't really judge them on past performances. Jim Tressel is a good coach, but the thought of Ohio State being in another national championship just makes me yawn... I don't know what it is about Ohio State, but something about them bores me...? In fact, I'm glad the Big 10 and Pac-10 will be adding conference championship games... that will really make their divisions more competitive-- and I'm sad the Big 12 will be losing their conference championship game =(

Old 10-15-2010, 09:58 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
No, he was asking why Oklahoma was let into the National Championship game 2 years ago (against Florida) in 2008, when they were slaughtered by USC 55-19 in the national championship game in 2004.

You see, I was making a point about Ohio State losing in the national championship in 2006 and 2007 (when they had Troy Smith) and saying how I'd prefer not to see another over-rated Ohio State team in there again. But granted, this is a new Ohio State team-- so you can't really judge them on past performances. Jim Tressel is a good coach, but the thought of Ohio State being in another national championship just makes me yawn... I don't know what it is about Ohio State, but something about them bores me...? In fact, I'm glad the Big 10 and Pac-10 will be adding conference championship games... that will really make their divisions more competitive-- and I'm sad the Big 12 will be losing their conference championship game =(
Thanks for clarifying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football