Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 03:36 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,879,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Boise States strength of schedule is no where near Ohio State's. Or Nebraska. TCU plays a tougher scehdule too.

Anyone that says Boise plays a comparable schedule to Ohio State is crazy.

Ohio State would beat VaTech or Boise by 21. They would beat Oregon State by 14. Nebraska wouldn't exactly have trouble with those teams either.
And drop one to Purdue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,512,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
And drop one to Purdue.

So? What's wrong with losing to a conference opponent?

It happens to everyone. Ask Florida or USC.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 PM

977 posts, read 1,958,379 times
Operative word there is "would." Everyone thought Alabama would beat Utah too. "Would" does not necessarily translate to "does." That is why the game is played.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Operative word there is "would." Everyone thought Alabama would beat Utah too. "Would" does not necessarily translate to "does." That is why the game is played.
I predicted Utah was gonna beat Alabama by 21.

Past games demonstrate when the mid-majors play the BCS teams the mid-majors lose. The games are played.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,929,625 times
Quote:
If you look at some of these schools they often play 3 BCS schools a year. For instance, Akron played Syracuse, Indiana and Kentucky this year. Lost all 3.

My point is when mid-majors do play BCS teams they almost always lose. So why would anyone think they deserve a high ranking or a shot at a playoff?

I'm not anti-mid major. I went to a MAC school. I'm just living in reality. The mid-majors cannot compete. They have proven it over and over.
Maybe the majority of the time, the Big Boys win.... but that doesn't mean they never compete (i.e., just take a look at the Mid-Majors everyone is trashing now that IS making ground).

And really, it doesn't matter.... The fact that there's really no fair shot at a NATIONAL TITLE just says it all. The whole "every game is a playoff" thing is only given to the BCS schools. And even when there's a school outside of that box, they're not given any shot. Even if they finish undefeated. They don't go to the NCG.

No, they play another undefeated Non-AQ school in a throw away game like last year's Fiesta Bowl, and don't get the chance to actually prove anything other than the fact that they were the best Non-AQ team that year.....

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,136,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post

Exactly. Boise beat Oregon last year, easily, was not even close. Nobody thought Utah would slaughter Alabama the way they did, in a hostile environment. I think Boise and TCU beat Ohio State on a neutral field, otherwise theyre close.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Maybe the majority of the time, the Big Boys win.... but that doesn't mean they never compete (i.e., just take a look at the Mid-Majors everyone is trashing now that IS making ground).

And really, it doesn't matter.... The fact that there's really no fair shot at a NATIONAL TITLE just says it all. The whole "every game is a playoff" thing is only given to the BCS schools. And even when there's a school outside of that box, they're not given any shot. Even if they finish undefeated. They don't go to the NCG.

No, they play another undefeated Non-AQ school in a throw away game like last year's Fiesta Bowl, and don't get the chance to actually prove anything other than the fact that they were the best Non-AQ team that year.....
(edit)

Louisville got left out of the BCS title game in 2006. WVU in 2007. Auburn in 2005. Ohio State in 1998. Cincinnati last year. Missouri got locked out of a BCS game in 2007. Wisconsin has been denied a couple times. I can't even remember how many deserving PAC-10 teams have been left out. Texas Tech got hosed in 2008. So did Texas.

I'd say MORE BCS teams have been screwed than mid-majors. But it's only the mid-majors that cry about it. (And Auburn).

There is no fair shot for anyone. All you can do is win your games and hope everyone else loses. That's it.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-13-2010 at 06:05 PM..

Old 10-13-2010, 04:22 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Exactly. Boise beat Oregon last year, easily, was not even close. Nobody thought Utah would slaughter Alabama the way they did, in a hostile environment. I think Boise and TCU beat Ohio State on a neutral field, otherwise theyre close.
I wouldn't say the Boise/Oregon game wasn't even close. Boise won by 11 with Oregon hanging around well into the fourth quarter in a very ugly, sloppy game. I know it's a minor point but lets not act like they put them away in the first quarter.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,929,625 times
Quote:
:c rying:

Louisville got left out of the BCS title game in 2006. WVU in 2007. Auburn in 2005. Ohio State in 1998. Cincinnati last year. Missouri got locked out of a BCS game in 2007. Wisconsin has been denied a couple times. I can't even remember how many deserving PAC-10 teams have been left out. Texas Tech got hosed in 2008. So did Texas.

I'd say MORE BCS teams have been screwed than mid-majors. But it's only the mid-majors that cry about it. (And Auburn).

There is no fair shot for anyone. All you can do is win your games and hope everyone else loses. That's it.

And yet, all those teams you listed STILL have more of a shot to go to the game than any undefeated Mid-Major does.

Call it "crying" all you want. It's still B.S. And there's still no way to justify it. Also, even if both BSU and TCU finish undefeated and everyone else loses, someone will still find a way to keep them out.

This system isn't about competition. It's just about money and marketing. Of course, fans of BCS schools couldn't care less, but that's fine.
It'll end one day....

Old 10-13-2010, 04:27 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
Quote:
:c rying:

There were also a couple years where USC was likely the best team in the country except they would blow their case by losing to marginal Stanford or Oregon State teams. Deserving AQ schools definitely get the shaft more often than the mid-majors.

Several years ago the mid-majors did get shafted because they were not allowed to compete, however, it seems in recent years the pendulum has swung the other way. The current system, while far from perfect, is more friendly to the mid-majors than any format in the modern era. TCU, Hawaii, Boise State, and Utah do not step foot into the "BCS" bowls under the old system. It's not like we're regressing.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 10-13-2010 at 04:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football