Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 PM

674 posts, read 1,460,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I actually said they're between 4-10 this week. I'm just not sure where they fall in that mix because there's still a lot of football left to play. That's pretty equivalent to the consensus.
Uh, no it's not. There again is the misrepresentation. The consensus is 1-5.

Pollspeak has a breakdown of AP voters: College Sports Polls, College Football Rankings, BCS Rankings

Only two have Boise State at 4. Most have them 1 or 2. I think 8 have them at 3.

Same thing for ESPN power rankings. Most at 1 or 2, a handful at 3, I think maybe 1 at 4.

Coaches poll doesn't break it down but with their position I think it mirrors the AP.

Point being... you're in a significant minority having them below 4.

Even reflecting through the season very few had them below 5 or 6... when Ohio State and Alabama, and even Florida and Texas were up there.

Quote:
My problem with Boisefan is exactly what I stated in my prior post, no more and no less.

Boise State is a good team, most people are not argueing that. The reason they're such a hot button on this thread is that they do have some question marks (just like Auburn, OU, and Oregon). The difference is that when someone questions OU or Oregon it doesn't illicit the defensive responses like "Keep searching for whatever rationale you need to justify your bogus perceptions about Boise State. I love it when people talk about things they know nothing about."
People are arguing that BSU is good or worthy. There are no more question marks about them this year than there are any other team because NO ONE has been dominant. Further, to date, Boise has played as good of a schedule as just about anyone in the top 25, especially a few weeks ago before they started WAC play. Given the results on the field in weeks 1-5, I don't see how there were ANY question marks. People just rationalize... Va Tech sucks, OSU sucks, and ignore the cream puffs that Oregon, Oklahoma, and Ohio State played. I'd say only Bama and Auburn have played a thoroughly difficult schedule to date.

Quote:
If you read this thread you'll see that many who argue with the Boise State faithful, myself included, don't necessarily start out that negative. The negativity stems from being called an idiot or a hater for having the nerve to question Boise State.
I disagree it's questioning Boise State so much as it's refusing to give them the benefit of the doubt they've earned. There's always an excuse ready. Suddenly it's not even good enough to outscore their last three opponents 169-14 - two of those games were scoreless - even while exclusively playing their 2nd and 3rd stringers in the second half of these games.

I also disagree there's no negative established... there's a number of posters who have done nothing but bash them or disrespect them for no reason other than they "don't buy the hype" or they're simply AQ homers.

Ultimately, if you consider BSU to be the 5th best team in the nation or worst, you likely have little rationale for it, especially when they've passed the eyeball test of notorious Boise State haters Craig James and Mark May...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,711,074 times
I have them somewhere between 4-10, which inlcudes the possiblity of the "consensus" spots of 4 or 5. I really don't know who goes where at this exact moment or if Boise State can beat Bama or Wisconsin...hence the reason I just listed who I thought was the ten best teams in the country. Alabama was a consensus #1 two weeks ago and Ohio State was consensus #1 last week. The pollsters are just guessing like the rest of us and there's plenty in the media who still doubt Boise State's abilility to play in a legit conference. Don't act like it's isolated to the CDF.

You're proving my point of BSU fans being so defensive. You don't see Auburn fans on this board blasting people for ranking them #5 instead of #3. Everytime I try to be reasonable with you I get some nit-picking reply saying, once again, that my opinion is misinformed because it doesn't march lock-step with your thinking.

#4, #3, #1, #6...who gives a ****? There's a lot of football left to play and not everyone needs to justify why they rank Boise State where they do. It's getting old.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 10-18-2010 at 03:54 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 03:49 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,616,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hp1167 View Post
Va Tech sucks, OSU sucks, and ignore the cream puffs that Oregon, Oklahoma, and Ohio State played. I'd say only Bama and Auburn have played a thoroughly difficult schedule to date.

I LOLd. You can't be serious.

OU has played a thoroughly more dificult schedule to date than BSU without a doubt. The only "creampuff" they've played was from the WAC. Oklahoma had one of the toughest OOC schedules of any team.

OU opponents record; 23-16
BSU opponents record; 16-20

Throw the powerhouse Toledo (4-3) out of there and it gets really ugly.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I LOLd. You can't be serious.

OU has played a thoroughly more dificult schedule to date than BSU without a doubt. The only "creampuff" they've played was from the WAC. Oklahoma had one of the toughest OOC schedules of any team.

OU opponents record; 23-16
BSU opponents record; 16-20

Throw the powerhouse Toledo (4-3) out of there and it gets really ugly.
Conveniently omitting other team's accomplishments while overstating their perceived weaknesses seems to be a reoccurring theme by the Boise State supporters.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,512,402 times
Quote:
The difference is that when someone questions OU or Oregon it doesn't illicit the defensive responses like "Keep searching for whatever rationale you need to justify your bogus perceptions about Boise State. I love it when people talk about things they know nothing about."
Bingo

I would add Boise fans are uppity. They have 2 big wins in their history. One over Oklahoma. One over Oregon. This year they beat VaTech and they think that qualifies them for the NT game. They remind me of Michigan State fans.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,879,904 times
The Donkey's vs. TCU. This time it'll be for all the marbles. Probably not, but both Boise and TCU look improved over last year's squads. Can Oklahoma and Oregon win out? Lots of football left. Another unbeaten goes down this week as Auburn and LSU square off. Does a one loss team jump Boise at the end of the year? It Boise keeps stomping everyone on their schedule, I'm not sure that happens. But if they let one team stay in it, it may haunt them.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:47 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,981 times
I don't know what will happen, but I do know if Oregon loses, we will be taking a seat to watch the NC. The only conference who can lose one game and still get in is the SEC. I don't even think Oklahoma can lose and still get in.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
The Donkey's vs. TCU. This time it'll be for all the marbles. Probably not, but both Boise and TCU look improved over last year's squads. Can Oklahoma and Oregon win out? Lots of football left. Another unbeaten goes down this week as Auburn and LSU square off. Does a one loss team jump Boise at the end of the year? It Boise keeps stomping everyone on their schedule, I'm not sure that happens. But if they let one team stay in it, it may haunt them.
I keep forgetting LSU is undefeated...probably the least respected team and coach in the country. I think the time has passed for anyone to lose another game and still expect to make it to the NC. Bama is probably the only one loss team that has a shot without some sort of mass chaos.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:14 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,462,981 times
Posted this over on the BCS rankings thread. Thought it might be interesting to post it here and take a look at it later as it changes and there become fewer contenders (hopefully not the Ducks)

I for one am concerned about our defense. We have never really had a dominant defense. I agree and think we have our fair share of problems. However, having said that I came across this on an Oregon board (credit to a fellow Duck). I am not using this as any support for Oregon's defense, but it is interesting to note a few things. Looking at the top 5 teams, here are all our defenses in a nutshell. We have all played a few good teams and a few lousy teams (OU has played the best so far, but I personally feel Stanford was the best win of the top 5), so everyone just chill and take this with a grain of salt...happy thoughts that we are all even in the conversation...it could be worse, we could be VaTech and have to live with the fact we lost to a D-II school.

Oregon:
Scoring Defense:20
Yards Per Play:19
Turnovers Forced:22
Total Defense:45

Boise State:
Scoring Defense:11
Yards Per Play:2
Turnovers Forced:12
Total Defense:1

TCU:
Scoring Defense:2
Yards Per Play:11
Turnovers Forced:16
Total Defense:1

Oklahoma:
Scoring Defense:56
Yards Per Play:80
Turnovers Forced:14
Total Defense:93

Auburn:
Scoring Defense: 46
Yards Per Play: 24
Turnovers Forced:11
Total Defense:40

These are the rankings of our defenses with the exeption of forced turnovers (cumulative amount)

Old 10-18-2010, 09:06 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,269,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Bingo

I would add Boise fans are uppity. They have 2 big wins in their history. One over Oklahoma. One over Oregon. This year they beat VaTech and they think that qualifies them for the NT game. They remind me of Michigan State fans.
Well...Im a duck fan, and it was 2 wins over Oregon, 1 on a ranked Oregon State, 1 on Oklahoma, and 1 on a high ranked TCU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football