Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times

Advertisements

Thanks MB...the census #'s are good...but the folks in ED need to push past those numbers...Greenville supports surrounding counties, no matter what the census folks say...folks from Bertie/Washington/Tyrrell/Hyde/Beaufort/and Martin among others all come to Greenville to shop. But the census folks don't count them in their "Metro area"...thing is, the more Greenville has, the more these folks will come.

But Greenville also needs to push the regional access issue. How do those people get around. This is why the Southwest Bypass is SO IMPORTANT and has been for so long. No one wants to drive down Greenville Blvd and Memorial Drive from out of town. It really is a "if you build it, they will come" situation. If I am coming from Washington and want to go to Sam's Club and Dick's...I have to drive through the entire town to get there. Not fun.

Got to get the infrastructure in place to support the economic development...be able to get people in and out....like Alamance Crossing. The reason all that stuff is in Elon is because its right next to the Interstate. Easy in and easy out. That's holding Greenville back....just like the failure to get the 10th St connector done in a timely manner has held downtown back. Greenville leaders have been talking about those two road projects for over 20 years. Still years off from getting them done. Been some failed prior leadership in that regard. Wonder how that Interstate designation is coming for 264?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Months ago, I was against the interstate designation for 64 and 264. I figured it was a waste of time and money just to change the name. US 64 from Raleigh to 95 is going to become Interstate 495. Recently, driving out of Raleigh on 64, there are a few signs saying "Future Interstate 495" and it got me thinking about what the interstate designation really means. I found myself thinking "Wow, i'll be driving on an interstate!! That's big time!!!" As silly as that sounded in my head, I thought about how many other people that may feel the same way, how companies may even steer away from areas that don't have Interstate Access. Even though little changes on the road, but the name, It does make a difference in perception of the area.

I am now for the change, and hope that 264 will get similar treatment (Maybe a 595 Designation) all the way to Greenville.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:53 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Thanks MB...the census #'s are good...but the folks in ED need to push past those numbers...Greenville supports surrounding counties, no matter what the census folks say...folks from Bertie/Washington/Tyrrell/Hyde/Beaufort/and Martin among others all come to Greenville to shop. But the census folks don't count them in their "Metro area"...thing is, the more Greenville has, the more these folks will come.

But Greenville also needs to push the regional access issue. How do those people get around. This is why the Southwest Bypass is SO IMPORTANT and has been for so long. No one wants to drive down Greenville Blvd and Memorial Drive from out of town. It really is a "if you build it, they will come" situation. If I am coming from Washington and want to go to Sam's Club and Dick's...I have to drive through the entire town to get there. Not fun.

Got to get the infrastructure in place to support the economic development...be able to get people in and out....like Alamance Crossing. The reason all that stuff is in Elon is because its right next to the Interstate. Easy in and easy out. That's holding Greenville back....just like the failure to get the 10th St connector done in a timely manner has held downtown back. Greenville leaders have been talking about those two road projects for over 20 years. Still years off from getting them done. Been some failed prior leadership in that regard. Wonder how that Interstate designation is coming for 264?
The (one of the) BIG things that hampers Greenville via regional roads is we are the Terminal point. The vast majority of people on 264E don't go past Greenville.

If we were in Kinston, the State could devote more road money to us, because a lot of people go to the Crystal Coast. Same thing if we were in Williamston/Tarboro and the Outer Banks.

Not to get TOOO historical, but of the 8 towns vying for what would become East Carolina, I would've put Greenville last in the early 1900s.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:54 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Well....there is 40-50K folks in Beaufort Co/Hyde Co and the road to Washington is fairly busy. But I get your point. Greenville can be the terminal point...fine, its the 10th largest city in NC. Its the only one without Interstate access. Many, many smaller cities have it.

It has been on the "Outer Loop" list, but we haven't seen construction since the early 90's....and even then, they built a bridge that severely flooded during Floyd.

And I get the historical point...but its 2014. And look at it this way....Greenville's 10 year census growth has never been less than 23%...and has averaged over 37% a decade since 1900. If it grew by 30% this decade, the population would be about 110K. There is no doubt it will be over 100K in the next census....and that's just in the city, doesnt include Winterville's 100% growth rate last decade.

In other words, the infrastructure is way behind. It was behind in the 90's, but the state pushed other areas and Greenville leaders didn't fight back. Greenville CAN BE an emerging city that folks WANT to relocate to...but they need the infrastructure. Highways, Interstates, regional shopping centers, and a vibrant downtown with hotels. Heck, put off widening of Evans St and get the Southwest Bypass DONE. Identify the holdup of Interstate declaration, broadcast the problem and find a way to fix it.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM

36 posts, read 63,392 times
Got a notice that the Champions fitness beside SAMs Club is officially sold to PittCC to use for their BLET program...they have 12mths to get out...they say they bought land on Firetower road behind the tower to build the new center...just waiting on a final permit to come thru. This should open that big plot of land for further development.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:29 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

Not to get TOOO historical, but of the 8 towns vying for what would become East Carolina, I would've put Greenville last in the early 1900s.
I often think that New Bern's new branding should be "home of Pepsi and the bad decision." I have contemplated on several occasions how New Bern did not get ECU. Just one in a long series of bamboozling civic decisions/outcomes down here! On roads alone, it would appear to have been a no brainer.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:45 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
For reference this is the proposed hotel site on 4th St. From what we gather, the (current) lawyers office structure will remain and become the lobby (etc.), the small building will be demolished and will be built upon, along with the empty lot attached to the left (barely pictured).

The parking deck will be built on the adjacent lot across the street in the background:

Side note:

One day I'd like to see taller buildings lining this entire small hill on 2nd St. approaching the courthouse. It'd be nice to have a bit of a cavernous feel in certain areas. It would look great here, along with new sidewalks and asphalt, of course. It'd be a nicer approach to the courthouse area.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 AM

89 posts, read 130,711 times
Does anyone know if they plan on putting any other kind of parking around the Georgetown Project other than the parking deck for residents? It just seems like if they want to tie this in to Uptown they'd have a little more parking for the public in order to easily access the shops and restaurants they plan on putting there.

I would imagine a good idea would be to move Marathon and Thai 360 over to the project and use those lots as parking lots. I realize Five Points isn't that far but I would assume that it'd turn people off not being able to park closer.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Does anyone know if they plan on putting any other kind of parking around the Georgetown Project other than the parking deck for residents? It just seems like if they want to tie this in to Uptown they'd have a little more parking for the public in order to easily access the shops and restaurants they plan on putting there.

I would imagine a good idea would be to move Marathon and Thai 360 over to the project and use those lots as parking lots. I realize Five Points isn't that far but I would assume that it'd turn people off not being able to park closer.
Good question. They is currently parking across the street at BB&T. But I wonder if the businesses that will go there will cater to students/walking public instead?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
For reference this is the proposed hotel site on 4th St. From what we gather, the (current) lawyers office structure will remain and become the lobby (etc.), the small building will be demolished and will be built upon, along with the empty lot attached to the left (barely pictured).

The parking deck will be built on the adjacent lot across the street in the background:
So everything north of that alleyway will be apart of the hotel? I didn't realize or seen anything that indicated ECU is selling the Environmental Health and Safety Building. I hope so, and it makes sense. Because there is no way to have a decent hotel on that small parcel alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina