Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2012, 07:34 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
I think we need to work on our own city highways before we worry about the interstates. What good is an interstate if you cant easily get around the city you are driving to
Well there is something to having interstate access for growth (see Charleston, Asheville, Wilmington, etc.), but the way eastern NC is laid out plus where the population density and existing roadways are throws a bit of a wrench into the standard thinking. Greenville is at the size where it needs an interstate or interstate-grade road though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
I think we need to work on our own city highways before we worry about the interstates. What good is an interstate if you cant easily get around the city you are driving to

I agree. I dream of having a small expressway that connects the current 264 bypass to ECU by Elm Street. It could also connect to the airport.

Or connect one side of the bypass to the other....

The Red line is the expressway, red circles are the exits / interchanges and the Green are secondary roads that would connect various parts to the expressway.

This is a complete long shot, There are tons of nature reserves, parks, and other logistical hurdles that would have to be jumped through. But it's a dream right?

(P.S. There was supposed to be a red exit circle on Hwy 11 near the airport.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM

232 posts, read 475,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I agree. I dream of having a small expressway that connects the current 264 bypass to ECU by Elm Street. It could also connect to the airport.

The Red line is the expressway, red circles are the exits / interchanges and the Green are secondary roads that would connect various parts to the expressway.

This is a complete long shot, There are tons of nature reserves, parks, and other logistical hurdles that would have to be jumped through. But it's a dream right?

yea looks nice but they wouldnt spend the money for all the bridges over water.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just connect Elm to the eastern side of 264 or 33?

Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just connect Elm to the eastern side of 264 or 33?
It probably would! Excellent idea!

Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Greenville is at the size where it needs an interstate or interstate-grade road though.
US 264 is almost an Interstate grade road. It is wide, with slightly bending curves. It is definitely limited access. There are no traffic lights on it. The only things I can see wrong with it are the lack of inside shoulders, apparently some of the bridges may not be high enough and the center guard rail is seriously lacking.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 45,498 times
Is B's BBQ still open? We moved in January, but just heard last night it had closed. I think I would have heard more about it if that was true, but thought I would ask here. Sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm way behind on this thread.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:22 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
US 264 is almost an Interstate grade road. It is wide, with slightly bending curves. It is definitely limited access. There are no traffic lights on it. The only things I can see wrong with it are the lack of inside shoulders, apparently some of the bridges may not be high enough and the center guard rail is seriously lacking.
Yeah bridge construction is what kills a project on cost. But upgrading 264 plus that stretch of 11 up to Bethel where it meets 64 would definitely do the trick. To be fair though, there are larger places which don't have limited access highways like San Angelo and McAllen, TX.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:57 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jne7043 View Post
Is B's BBQ still open? We moved in January, but just heard last night it had closed. I think I would have heard more about it if that was true, but thought I would ask here. Sorry if this has already been discussed, I'm way behind on this thread.
It was open last week.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:10 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jne7043 View Post
The last time I went by B's, there was a drunk, who had noticeably pizzed himself, kind of hanging on to a guy wire to a pole, right outside. He was slobbering and waving in the wind. Pretty disgusting.

I get the bbq joint thing, and the allure of slumming at B's (or as most likely, saying you did), but I gots to tell you, I don't need that kind of appetizer. We eased on down the line after than one.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina