Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 02:55 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,105,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Well you're right, I'm not particularly suggesting that all woman need to be married before having children but the reason why I say this is bad news is because it seems as if in Greenville most of the people I know who are/were pregnant are younger. It's running rampant there with 70% of woman having children without being married. Now if Greenville were a city full of young professionals, then that would be more understandable because they can actually afford their children meaning the amount on welfare wouldn't keep increasing but for Greenville yuppies are in a minority and most of the people who are having children are those who work at Bojangles, Wal-Mart, or even being unemployed.
And you got the data supporting this position where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM

910 posts, read 1,319,264 times
Well yeah it's definitely a lagging indicator of larger economic issues, and marriage itself fast becoming a thing only people of a certain socioeconomic class even participating in. No need to make moral judgments over it.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM

I personally know of 4 young couples that are unmarried and have children. Only one of those 4 couples gets any sort of public assistance.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
There's also plenty of divorced people too. The report should have been about single-parents or children living in homes of unwed people. Those kiddies have single daddies too, so why is the report focusing just on mothers? The welfare and teenage mothers may get the attention, but I know plenty of awesome single and responsible mothers.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:49 PM

286 posts, read 653,403 times
The level of political correctness going on here is sickening.

BMORE, thank you for telling it like it is. The single mothers may try and they may be great mothers, but most are poor, probably get assistance, and the fathers are not anywhere close to being in the picture.

No offense Richard, but you are a transplant and live well outside of the city. Those of us who grew up here know all too well why Greenville is on this list. Actual experience and perception trump any kind of data.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:53 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Is it really a surprise.

Greenville has traditional jobs for women...nursing, teachers, retail, etc..

It has better public schools then many of the counties surrounding it.

It has educational opportunities in ECU and Pitt.

It has recreational programs for kids, public parks, trails, playgrounds, entertainment, etc....

And it has affordable housing in Apartments.

So it should not be surprising that many unmarried women with children live in Greenville...by choice.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
No offense Richard, but you are a transplant and live well outside of the city. Those of us who grew up here know all too well why Greenville is on this list. Actual experience and perception trump any kind of data.
I'm only 3 miles away. Not exactly well outside the city. I traverse and am in Greenville constantly. My wife also works at Bells Fork.

I am against the perception that all of these fathers run away and are never seen again. That is the problem with a single evaluation of this type. Of these 69% of unwed mothers, how many do have the father living at home? And if there is no father at home, how many pay child support?

The times are changing folks. It's no longer just the poor in indigent that are having children out of wedlock.

Report: More women moving in before marriage - CNN.com

Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's bad news on what level? I can see a whole lot of presuming here.
... because so many of the areas that see this kind of migration are high income areas? I think BMOREBOY is interpreting the story correctly. You might interpret it as a very positive thing for the region, but most would disagree. Is the Greenville area full of highly mobile, high earning unwed couples or high wage single moms? That data would be easier to find and would tell more of the story.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times
I'm not trying to wage war on single mothers but I know far too many in Greenville that were unmarried with children that were living in poverty. I can't applaud that type of data, now if this were say Bethesda, MD or San Jose, CA then it would be a bit more acceptable because the jobs in those places are high-waged but not in Greenville.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:20 AM

232 posts, read 475,210 times
Aside from all that PC mumbo jumbo, this can't be a positive statistic for business investors, or anyone researching Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina