Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 12:53 AM

89 posts, read 130,711 times

Advertisements

Pretty sure it's some kind of housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 AM

54 posts, read 75,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
At this point, I think almost any brand name hotel would be a welcome addition. Even a Holiday Inn Express would be a welcome sight. Something with some meeting space. I love the interview and this is all very exciting stuff going on downtown.

I also received an email from Uptown Greenville about input on the Dickinson Ave corridor:

I can't make it, but hopefully someone may see this and go.

I know its been beaten to death but after going to the greensboro grasshoppers game last night I couldnt even imagine what a minor league team would do for that area. I know greensboro is much larger than greenville, but this would bring a ton of people in our region to greenville.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:56 AM

68 posts, read 119,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Pretty sure it's some kind of housing
The building wasnt house-like. More of an office building or warehouse.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:03 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,438 times
Jville,

it certainly has been beaten to death, but I think that shows that the area is hungry for this type of entertainment. I mean the city's little league has a stadium that would rival some minor league parks...The city should have a minor league stadium.

I think more than a few offices and lofts are needed for the LoDo area. I think it will have to take another large development similar in size of the mixed use facility being built now.

How awesome would it be to have a ball park down there on Dickinson, and every ticket stub would also get people discounts on admission to the GO Science center, or a free appetizer a Fitzgerald's...Or a free ice cream cone at an ice cream shop that could open up... Something that would bring thousands of people to that area on a weekly basis...and give added incentive to purchase items from area businesses...would be incredible for all businesses in the area!!

Last edited by michealbond; 05-13-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Jville,

it certainly has been beaten to death, but I think that shows that the area is hungry for this type of entertainment. I mean the city's little league has a stadium that would rival some minor league parks...The city should have a minor league stadium.

I think more than a few offices and lofts are needed for the LoDo area. I think it will have to take another large development similar in size of the mixed use facility being built now.

How awesome would it be to have a ball park down there on Dickinson, and every ticket stub would also get people discounts on admission to the GO Science center, or a free appetizer a Fitzgerald's...Or a free ice cream cone at an ice cream shop that could open up... Something that would bring thousands of people to that area on a weekly basis...and give added incentive to purchase items from area businesses...would be incredible for all businesses in the area!!
It would give the students and young professionals in the city, something to do during the week as well. They are in dire need to have an entertainment venue to use during the summer.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Crossfit Greenville has moved from their location on Old Firetower to a larger location in the LoDo area of downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/818+Clark+St/@35.6047102,-77.3769689,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x89aee7fd57f3cc09:0x1fb416e5b79b2 a79

Looks like a good location. It's great to see more businesses move to downtown from the outer parts of Greenville/Winterville.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Noticed the new power lines going in on Farmville Blvd (10th St connector)...the new utilities have to be installed before the old can come down. Still more buildings to come down on 14th St and Dickinson Avenue...does anyone know if the Beach Bingo on 10th St is affected by that project?

Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
From the Dickinson Avenue meeting tonight!

Old 05-13-2014, 07:56 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Ok...I'll say it....there are a couple bad ideas in that Dickinson study area....put it this way, you don't need to build stuff just to build stuff. While the City puts in the effort to revitalize neighborhoods off of Dickinson, just removing blighting structures is enough of an improvement.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 PM

145 posts, read 266,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Ok...I'll say it....there are a couple bad ideas in that Dickinson study area....put it this way, you don't need to build stuff just to build stuff. While the City puts in the effort to revitalize neighborhoods off of Dickinson, just removing blighting structures is enough of an improvement.
I disagree. I think the purpose of the study project is to come up with a vision for the district and see which ideas work and which ones might not be necessary or possible. I like to think of this new area as an extension of the existing Uptown, now that the main district is booming, they can focus on the areas that are in desperate need of development. Some of the things like the Ballpark and the proposed study of a town green are attractions for people to move to the area. IMO

You have to provide a catalyst to an area if it isn't prime real estate or it will just sit there unused for years in the case of neighborhoods around our downtown. I think the 5th Street revitalization project is a good example. The City contracted builders to build new homes on the empty lots and then they sold them to families. I believe they are doing this with another 12 lots that the City owns.

Last edited by piratesrock; 05-13-2014 at 09:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina