Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 03:31 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Brody School Of Medicine at risk of closing.

I don't know what to say other than I hope someone does something.

East Carolina University administrators spent much of last year lobbying the State Legislature to reverse funding changes that have left the Brody School of Medicine at risk. The General Assembly’s 2015 long session was barely seated before ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard again sounded the at-risk alarm last week.

“The risks to Brody have never been greater than they are today because of a thousand decisions that have been made over the years that have a cumulative effect,” Ballard told members of the Greenville-Pitt County Chamber of Commerce.

Sounding the alarm before a large gathering of area business leaders makes good sense. But are those leaders making sense of what is actually at stake for the medical school? Do they have the sense that the medical school actually is in real danger of closing?

Brody School of Medicine “at risk” : NC SPIN Balanced Debate for the Old North State
This can't be, it won't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 05:57 AM

7 posts, read 9,692 times
Interesting to see that new Bern has confirmed a Publix site before Greenville has. Maybe these neighborhood Walmart's has scared off publix by dispersing the business. Have heard rumors that Publix is looking for landing Greenville but has backed off a little bit since the openings of these neighborhood Walmart's.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
any truth to the rumors that the old Wal-Mart on Greenville Blvd will close after all the new Wal-Mart Market Stores & the new one across the river open? If so, what will become of that land?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM

The majority of the rumors I hear are from Walmart store personnel as I own a Pepperidge Farm snack franchise in pitt county and surrounding areas. From what i've heard once the Walmart across the river opens up for business the Walmart on Greenville Boulevard will remain open to test out the weekly sales between the two. I have heard that the convention center has showed interest in the building that Walmart is currently in but I do not have any information on what has become of that. I am thinking that they will leave both Walmarts open to keep the business and not allow the Greenville Blvd Walmarts business to go else where such as Harris tetter and lowes foods. Although ever sense the Highway 33 Walmart has opened the Greenville Blvd Walmarts business has suffered greatly.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
I do find it weird that Publix is building in New Bern before coming to Greenville. I hope Publix is not backing out because I would love to see one in Greenville. I'd put it in the large plot of land right behind the Firetower on Firetower Rd.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:37 AM

The land behind the fire Tower would be a great place to put a Publix as an anchor store or even on its own. I just turned 23 and as far as I can remember even before I was in high school the trailer parks were both cleared on the land on Firetower. In my opinion that land is too valuable to allow it to sit empty and not move forward with the development plans for that land. There is a champions that is being built on that land but they have done very little to progress the building. I believe that that area of land is a huge factor in bringing revenue to that side of Greenville and help residents of Winterville have a more convenient way to shop.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:10 AM

120 posts, read 229,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabankoski View Post
The land behind the fire Tower would be a great place to put a Publix as an anchor store or even on its own. I just turned 23 and as far as I can remember even before I was in high school the trailer parks were both cleared on the land on Firetower. In my opinion that land is too valuable to allow it to sit empty and not move forward with the development plans for that land. There is a champions that is being built on that land but they have done very little to progress the building. I believe that that area of land is a huge factor in bringing revenue to that side of Greenville and help residents of Winterville have a more convenient way to shop.

I agree, land on Firetower is too valuable to sit empty... that being said, however, we need to try to get the highest and best use of the locations for its first time development.. while the site is raw. I don't want to see the recruitment of just anything there. It's no secret that Publix is desperately trying to enter into the North Carolina market- is that the best use there? Possibly. The Greenville area needs to be patient and selective about the developments in such valuable locations in the area. A Publix would be ok, and it would likely work well in that area; perhaps its even needed there.. I would expect so. I just don't care to see our towns hit capacity with a bunch of grocery stores or developments that are intended to fill valuable land. We are finally at the point as a region and experiencing a market to where we can be more selective in the development of the region. We need to concentrate on smart growth for the future success of the Greenville area rather than development for a quick tax.

I hope it doesn't seem as if I am trying to attack your comment here by the way! This is just my 2cents...

Old 01-27-2015, 08:25 AM

Nc planner

You are 100% correct on selective stage greenville is now in. That land behind the firetower is IMO large enough that I think it could be developed in away to get many different stores built there such as clothing, supermarket, restraunts/upscale fast food, etc. I think if they can develop it with that mind state it could be a very profitable area as a whole, in our city.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:46 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,553,731 times
NC Planner, I agree about the selective part. However, Publix is supposedly not your run-of-the-mill grocery store. The Publix needs a home in Greenville.

Maybe a mixed used development with offices, apartments, restaurants and shops (something along the lines of the Mayfaire shop/live/play center in Wilmington) would be good for that area. Instead of a movie theater as an anchor, the Publix could anchor it.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM

893 posts, read 1,344,049 times
I'd love to see more mixed use development in Greenville. The Taft building downtown is a great start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina