Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2018, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times

Advertisements

Here's a recent picture of the construction on Ignite Church's building. I have heard that it will be completed this Fall. It's located beside the Winterville Charter Academy on Bayswater Road.

Recent progress:
https://i.imgur.com/gJMWfsS.jpg

Rendering of the building:
https://i.imgur.com/JYALGjN.jpg

Last edited by sanichols97; 03-03-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 05:19 PM

378 posts, read 418,827 times
Awesome!!

Old 03-04-2018, 11:56 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
ECU letter offers little clarity on Dail House-area plans - Daily Reflector

Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,824 times
Sound Feet Shoes is moving to its adjacent shopping center. They are taking over the former auto parts store in front of Stein Mart.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,824 times
ECU Foundation: Done deal on new chancellor residence - Daily Reflector

Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times
Update on the 10th Street Connector.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14919

Quote:
The N.C. Department of Transportation has been hard at work converting 10th Street in Greenville into a four-lane divided road with a landscaped median that directly links Memorial Drive to 10th Street at Evans Street.

Once completed by summer, 2019, the 10th Street Connector will provide a vital connection between Vidant Medical Center and East Carolina University (and Uptown Greenville Central Business District).

The 1.4 mile long connector is expected to reduce traffic congestion and create greater connectivity with the construction of a bridge over the CSX Rail Road.

Recent activity on the 10th Street Connector includes the grading and paving of 9th Street, utility and drainage work on Evans Street, new lanes on Farmville Boulevard to tie into Memorial Street.

DOT will soon be shifting traffic to new lanes on Farmville Blvd, so work on existing lanes can take place.
...and an update on the SW Bypass.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14921

Quote:
The N.C. Department of Transportation has been busy working on the 12.6-mile Greenville Southwest Bypass in Pitt County since August, 2016. Once completed in summer, 2020, the bypass will be a four-lane, median-divided highway that can only be accessed through interchanges.

The new freeway that will begin approximately two miles south of Ayden on N.C. 11, wrap around the west side of Ayden and Winterville and end at the U.S. 264 Bypass west of Greenville.

The Greenville Southwest Bypass is expected to relieve congestion and improve safety in Greenville – particularly on Memorial Drive/N.C. 11 and Stantonsburg Road/U.S. 264 Business. The new roadway will also help improve travel time along the U.S. 264/N.C. 11 corridor

The local economy will also benefit from the highway's five interchanges, which have the potential to spur commercial and residential development.

DOT crews are currently working on eight bridges, at different stages of construction. The next step will be to widen N.C. 11 at the bypass tie-in, south of Ayden.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:13 AM

217 posts, read 236,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Looking forward to continued complaints of congestion on Memorial and Stantonsburg in 2022.

Wish I had the pictures to show it, but I got the chance to see the cross-section and renderings for the Dickinson Ave. streetscape/upfit planned for later this year/early next. When completed, it'll transform the corridor. 10' sidewalks and bike lanes throughout the district, parklets and good lighting. Very happy with the plans.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Looking forward to continued complaints of congestion on Memorial and Stantonsburg in 2022.

Wish I had the pictures to show it, but I got the chance to see the cross-section and renderings for the Dickinson Ave. streetscape/upfit planned for later this year/early next. When completed, it'll transform the corridor. 10' sidewalks and bike lanes throughout the district, parklets and good lighting. Very happy with the plans.
Haha! Honestly, the bypass may take away some large trucks that normally have to pass through Greenville to get to other places, but overall, I don't think it will alleviate congestion on Memorial much at all. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have it.

On the other, it's certainly possible that having the bypass will spur development around it, meaning people living in SW Greenville, Farmville, Winterville, & Ayden will not have to go as far to travel to get to a commercial development they may normally have to travel into Greenville for. I suppose that would help, but only if commercial development really does happen along the corridor.

I am happy to hear about the Dickinson improvements. I visited a couple of weeks ago and spent some time down there. It still looks like a dump in front of these newly renovated buildings. I cannot wait for them to start them. I thought they were supposed to start that project in early 2018. I hope they start soon.

==========

http://www.reflector.com/News/2018/0...-district.html

Quote:
Business, Arts, and Community leaders will gather downtown tonight to discuss the progress of the revitalization and growth of the downtown district.

Uptown Greenville’s annual State of the District will be held at the Martinsborough Venue at 330 S. Evans St. on Tuesday at 5 p.m.

During the night, an update on the progress of downtown Greenville and notable additions to the area will be celebrated. Bianca Shoneman, president and CEO of Uptown Greenville, said this year the district has plenty to celebrate.

“Uptown is growing by leaps and bounds,” she said. “We’re seeing a lot of construction, a lot of road closures — we’re excited about this growth. The State of the District is an opportunity to celebrate where we are, to reflect back on our decisions and of course to look forward to the future.”

Bill King, vice president of planning and development for the Downtown Raleigh Alliance, serving as the downtown’s primary retail recruiter, will be the keynote speaker for the evening.

Shoneman said there also will be a presentation of business of the year, volunteer of the year, and visionary of the year awards. The business of the year award was decided by an online poll, in which Shoneman said more than 2,000 people participated.

Tickets for the event are available for standing room only. More than 250 attendees are registered in advance.

Last edited by michealbond; 03-06-2018 at 07:32 AM..

Old 03-06-2018, 08:18 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,855,619 times
The schedule for ECU's One Stop Building on 4th and Cotanche indicates it would start around 2/28. Does anyone know to status? Were the bids received and approved?

That schedule (published in November) indicated that it would be complete in June 2019.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:10 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,711 times
^I am not sure of a time line for the One Stop Building. The employees in the building on that chunk of land were moved out several weeks ago, but I haven't seen any further movement or heard of anything lately.

Uptown Greenville celebrates downtown growth, future development - Daily Reflector

Quote:
The city’s core is under construction and well on its way to further establishing itself as a cultural and economic driver for eastern North Carolina, according to local officials.

More than 250 business, cultural and community leaders gathered on Tuesday at the Martinsborough Venue for Uptown Greenville's annual State of the District program.

The evening featured updates on revitalization efforts, new additions and future development.
Bianca Shoneman, president and CEO of Uptown Greenville, began the event by saying she believes efforts to revitalize the downtown area are succeeding, and that continued investment and growth are essential the city’s future.
“The baseline for any great city is its small businesses and its local events; truly the baseline of Greenville is that combination,” she said. “It’s the greatness of our business and the greatness of our community events that develop a sense of place and authenticity for a municipality.”

Shoneman pointed out that development has led to some issues, such as parking difficulties, traffic and storm water backups. Yet, all of these are symptoms of a positive growth and success, she said.

Development efforts create challenges, but ultimately create a better city, she said.

“We are under construction you guys, and it’s not going to get any easier in the next year or so, it’s going to get a lot more challenging,” Shoneman said.

The keynote speaker for the evening was Bill King, senior vice president of planning and development for the Downtown Raleigh Alliance.

King discussed initiatives and strategies that Raleigh has used to bring new life and development to its downtown area. He said private and public investments were critical.

“Broadly speaking, the best thing a city can do is invest in its downtown,” he said. “There's not a great city that has a weak downtown. There's the bigger investments like a parking deck, but there are smaller investments, such as murals, public art, and beautification projects, that help make that sense of place.

“So when people think, 'Well when I go to Greenville what do I need to go see?’ they come downtown first,” King said.
The theme of the event was “Feet on the Street,” a homage to the year's unprecedented increase in residential population and space downtown , largely due to the ongoing construction of three large student apartment complexes. Once complete, these projects will increase the available living spaces to 615,000 square feet, with the 824 residential units expected to open in 2018.

Since 2014, the area has also seen a 400 percent increase in resident population, growing from 545 to an expected 2,643 residents by 2019. In 2017, 14 new businesses located in the downtown area.
King said in addition to a growing residential population, a good indicator of a healthy, budding downtown culture is local businesses and collaboration between partners.

“I think you see a lot of locally oriented businesses, you see a lot of makers, people like craft brewers and coffee makers, you also see local restaurants, particularly farm-to-table types,” he said. “I think we see collaborations here as well, community is really important because that ecosystem helps each other in a lot of ways, sometimes in back-ways like figuring out business, but also with real interesting experiences that create the experience people want to be a part of.”
Following King's presentation, District 4 Councilman Rick Smiley unveiled an initiative to create a outdoor chess set at Sheppard Memorial Library that he said aims to creating the “sense of place” King spoke about.

Part of the evening was set aside for annual awards to be given out, which recognized new and old businesses and the partners that helped make them possible.

Pitt Street Brewing Company won the People’s Choice for Small Business of the Year award. The brewery opened off Dickinson Avenue in 2017 after renovating the 7,500 square foot former Coca-Cola Bottling building.

The Volunteer of the Year award was given to Kristina Harris for her efforts, mostly focused on Freeboot Friday.

The Visionary Award was given to Thomas Taft for his efforts in revitalizing several properties and areas downtown.

Rivers and Associates was given a centenarian recognition for their 100 years of operation in downtown Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina