Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
what is the Dream Park...& sorry for my ignorance, but where is the Greenville Shelter at?
A new park. Greenville Shelter is located at Manhatten and Chestnut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 06:54 PM

Got more info on the Evans Street Gateway. Construction SHOULD begin next May and finish up in November. If it gets started then, it will be a good addition.

The little "mini extension" of the South Tar River Greenway to First St Apts construction should begin in December and be complete in January.

A new mini-park (1-4 acres) is in early development for north Greenville. As of right now, its called Countryside Park.

The Greene Street parking lot should be compete in December.

The railroad bridge over Dickinson should be painted sometime in the spring.

The Railyard construction should begin in March.

Last edited by MrBojangles; 11-13-2011 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 AM

77 posts, read 150,783 times
I am told by the mayor in Ayden that the Walmart Express should be open before Thanksgiving. Phase 1 (with playground, public toilets, and splash pad) of the new Ayden park located on Jolly Rd on the east side of Hwy 11 someplace should break ground in January and be complete just as school is going on summer vacation.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Art Avenue and FROGGS (Friends of the Greenville Greenway System) are having a community clean-up day Saturday beside Dale's Indian Cuisine. It is that vacant lot that connects Evans St to the parking lot beside Cotanche.

They want it to be a "Future Sculpture Garden, Herb Garden" and want to talk about a new name for the area. Even if it ends up being a small community garden, it will be a nice enhancement for downtown.

Nov 19- 9:00am-5:00pm - 423 Evans Street

Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Does Greenville do anything to attract companies? It seems like other places are having job announcements by various corporations while Greenville never has any announcements besides restaurants.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 AM

34 posts, read 44,390 times
Greenville leaders unfortunately have relied on the university and the medical center as the economic engines of the city but these entities will only take us so far. Raleigh, for instance, was in the 1950s and 1960s similarly sized to Greenville and was a government-university based economy. I have always wondered why Greenville did not try to attract banking headquarters for these regional banks.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:32 AM

Raleigh was the city I was thinking about when I said that. Raleigh like you said was only a gov't and university town but eventually it learned that it had to grow in other ways. Greenville is too dependent on ECU & the hospital. It seems like Kinston makes more of a initiative to attract jobs than we do. We have PLENTY of room to grow in all aspects from residential to shopping to corporate to whatever makes us not so dependent on ECU & the hospital. The lack of corporations is one of the reasons why we have such a small airport as well.
T

Old 11-16-2011, 01:38 PM

What really helped Raleigh and the Triangle, besides being the site for the state government and the three universities was the creation of RTP. Gov. Sanford supported JFK, one of the first southern governors to support the catholic presidential candidate, and JFK rewarded NC with putting a big part of the EPA here, among other things. Once those "big companies" come, the smaller SAS like companies follow suit.

I don't want to rehash GTP, but that was the goal of it for the east. But you had only one "major" road (US70), and no university/intellectual support in the close area. They need to close down GTP, or at least move it to Greenville/Wilson. At least there, it would do good.

And I agree about Greenville needing to go after these regional banks. The East Carolina Bank is headquartered in Engalhard. Southern Bank is in Mount Olive. A couple of these smaller community banks HQed here would do wonders.

As for the question "Does Greenville do anything to attract companies?", the Pitt County Development Commission job is this.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:12 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
The PCDC can only do but so much by it's self. Without the support of Greenville and Pitt County, via tax incentives and other means, the PCDC can only talk up the city and county. I also don't believe that Pitt County and Greenville are interested in providing a whole lot of manufacturing type jobs. That is all that you see going into Lenoir County.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:25 PM

Well they better become interested in some type of jobs. We're never going to get big on the computer industry, so we may as well and let in manufacturing jobs in or like other posters have said, do something to attract bank HQ's. Wilson even does pretty decent on the banking industry, so I'm sure Greenville can as well.
It's like we only take the initiative to attract stores, we need companies.
I know I say that a lot but its so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina