Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 09:25 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
... this is a biggie (figuratively and literally, ha!):

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/...dentified.html
I have long (for years now) thought Sherwin-Williams should do a landmark building (doesn't have to be the tallest or fanciest, just a landmark tall visible building befitting its iconic Cleveland status) at that very spot...the way PPG, another paint powerhouse, did in Pittsburgh. Hopefully the city gives them a sweetheart deal....one of the remaining Fortune 500 companies, better try to hang on to them before you lose them to the burbs or worse...I keep thinking of Eaton and the city's inability to hold onto them in downtown....
Are they still in the Midland Bldg.? Turn the Midland Building into residences.
However, I'm sure some downtowners will gripe about the loss of lot parking there......they're crazy. Hopefully this happens, though I'll believe it when I see it. Here's hoping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 03:26 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
More Ohio City development. https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2...ohio-city.html

Old 09-12-2019, 08:30 AM

4,531 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Should be saying 'uh-oh' to this, or is this just a SHW tactic to extract bennies for the pols? This story, reported in several forms from multiple news venues, has got urbanohio.com in a tizzy... Some say Sherwin-Williams is so flush with cash since the Valspar acquisition that they don't really need much in terms of tax breaks and the like. But no matter how strong financially they may be, corporations never like to spend money they don't have to.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...a-ff02370d588d

Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM

11,053 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Should be saying 'uh-oh' to this, or is this just a SHW tactic to extract bennies for the pols? This story, reported in several forms from multiple news venues, has got urbanohio.com in a tizzy... Some say Sherwin-Williams is so flush with cash since the Valspar acquisition that they don't really need much in terms of tax breaks and the like. But no matter how strong financially they may be, corporations never like to spend money they don't have to.

I think Sherwin has been in town so long, if anyone deserves "tax breaks", it's them.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:33 PM

671 posts, read 1,057,529 times
Quote:

Looks like a shakedown attempt, but I'd expect Minneapolis to put a good, competitive offer out in the hopes of keeping the former Valspar jobs.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:43 PM

I know they have to explore all options and make noise, but I cant imagine sherwin actually leaves Cleveland. It's completely reasonable for them to want a new HQ, seems like they are exploring elsewhere downtown. Of course if they did leave it would be a huge blow, but I really dont think that's happening. Downtown Cleveland with a nice new sherwin HQ will only be that much more attractive a place. Then who knows what could he done with that nice real estate right on the river where R&D is now.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Cleveland better beat any and all offers to keep them downtown.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:03 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Cleveland better beat any and all offers to keep them downtown.
Let 'em walk. Save the money for small business incubators. Hell, fund a chemical R+D lab for small business. Guarantee that S+W's worst nightmare is hiding in some garage shop entrepreneur's mind right now.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Let 'em walk. Save the money for small business incubators. Hell, fund a chemical R+D lab for small business. Guarantee that S+W's worst nightmare is hiding in some garage shop entrepreneur's mind right now.

Sherwin leaving would be an absolute disaster for the city that it may well never recover from imo.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:19 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sherwin leaving would be an absolute disaster for the city that it may well never recover from imo.
I don't agree. So many other companies have left Cleveland either by moving south or just going out of business. We lost Warner + Swasey, Richmond brothers, Eaton, the list is very long and several of these were much bigger companies than S+W. Yeah it hurt, but we survived in our current form, not so bad.

This corporate welfare has got to stop, and I don't like being a party to it by promoting it. I'd much rather invest in the downtown businesses that are hiring and obviously have a bright future - these are small start up businesses that truly need help to get to positive revenue. Granted they're probably not going to build a 50 story phallus on a parking lot but that's OK with me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland