Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 04:48 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Disturbing news: Despite winning Cleveland Planning Commission approval and outward signs that financing was close to being in place, apparently Flats East Bank Phase 3 is in jeopardy of not happening... at least in the minds of some insiders...

https://forum.urbanohio.com/topic/57.../132/#comments

If this is true, we're looking at that big sea of asphalt surface parking in the middle becoming permanent, hurting density, diversified retail and making FEB seem more like a distant, part-time island... and this would likely spell the end of RTA Waterfront Line rail service. The tracks may stay for Browns' shuttles, only... yikes.
Good news: now urban.ohio is saying FEB phase 3 is very much alive. Critical project. X your fingers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019...even-litt.html

Would be nice to see a park and office/residential development at Burke - someday.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:21 PM

227 posts, read 197,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019...even-litt.html

Would be nice to see a park and office/residential development at Burke - someday.
That would be amazing! Interested in how they could create easier access across 90.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:00 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
That would be amazing! Interested in how they could create easier access across 90.
I read that in today's paper...it would be so amazing to see something like this.

I would think a way to connect it could be similar to how Columbus connects downtown to the short north with a large cap over I-670.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Good news: now urban.ohio is saying FEB phase 3 is very much alive. Critical project. X your fingers...

https://www.crainscleveland.com/arti...-working-space

Old 08-12-2019, 10:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
New 5 story apartment building for “Hingtown”, W26th st. and Detroit ave..

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real...ext-step-looms

Old 08-12-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
New 5 story apartment building for “Hingtown”, W26th st. and Detroit ave..

https://www.crainscleveland.com/real...ext-step-looms
Thanks for posting. Note to others that may have maxed out their Crains free stories, just google the article title and you should be able to get in that way.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I read that in today's paper...it would be so amazing to see something like this.

I would think a way to connect it could be similar to how Columbus connects downtown to the short north with a large cap over I-670.
I think the cap is the way to go, just tell ODOT its a big bridge and they'll go for it. Don't tell them anything about urban planning /park access - their eyes just gloss over. Talk bridges, concrete, multiple lanes and they'll build it, even if its an 8 lane bypass around Orrville.

Another thought I had about increasing the land value along Lake Erie near downtown: Move I-90 south a bit. I-90 currently stays away from the lake shore except for the distance between MLK and downtown, where it turns towards the lake shore and pretty much hugs it from there. Move the section of I-90 between MLK and the downtown belt - back towards the train tracks - where it belongs. This opens up a lot more lake-front land for development/park.

Edit for ODOT project managers only - The Orrville comment was just a joke, a bypass is not needed.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:37 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I think the cap is the way to go, just tell ODOT its a big bridge and they'll go for it. Don't tell them anything about urban planning /park access - their eyes just gloss over.

It has long been in the works to eliminate dead man's curve and reroute the innerbelt. Even still, access to the BKL land isn't really an issue as E. 9th runs adjacent to it and the waterfront line is already there. The true obstacle is the FAA. The city must have permission to close the airport which, even though some say is insignificant, handles 2,000 aviation operations per week. The city would first have to prove BKL is a financial burden (a tough sell), also prove that the land could be used for better purposes (an easier sell), repay any federal grants given for BKL development (probably doable), prove that the operations could be moved elsewhere and safely (this would probably require expansion) and then maybe the city would be allowed to phase the airport out over the course of a decade. With other easily developable real estate being available throughout downtown and BKL closure being at least a decade away regardless, I can't see this being a priority any time soon.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
It has long been in the works to eliminate dead man's curve and reroute the innerbelt. Even still, access to the BKL land isn't really an issue as E. 9th runs adjacent to it and the waterfront line is already there. The true obstacle is the FAA. The city must have permission to close the airport which, even though some say is insignificant, handles 2,000 aviation operations per week. The city would first have to prove BKL is a financial burden (a tough sell), also prove that the land could be used for better purposes (an easier sell), repay any federal grants given for BKL development (probably doable), prove that the operations could be moved elsewhere and safely (this would probably require expansion) and then maybe the city would be allowed to phase the airport out over the course of a decade. With other easily developable real estate being available throughout downtown and BKL closure being at least a decade away regardless, I can't see this being a priority any time soon.
You're probably right on that. I sure wish it could get done somehow though, I think it would make such a big impact for the downtown area and the city. We've done big things in the past (like CVNP), maybe we can do more in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland