Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2023, 06:19 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,051,527 times

Advertisements

More apartments for University Circle area, its really starting to spread North and West, these are E82 and Chester. Good article from NEOtrans: https://neo-trans.blog/2023/04/24/ch...ets-thumbs-up/

From the article: "Given the robust construction plans at Cleveland Clinic, Case Western Reserve University and other major institutions in the area, it is hoped that employment in the sector will soon surpass its late-2019, early 2020 peak of 208,000 jobs in education and health services."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2023, 07:05 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,144,726 times
Very cool story. Love to see this historic building preserved and repurposed. Kind of a quirky looking museum. I hope people go to see it.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...hDJNCUAn8RAQF4

Old 10-20-2023, 09:07 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,141,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Very cool story. Love to see this historic building preserved and repurposed. Kind of a quirky looking museum. I hope people go to see it.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...hDJNCUAn8RAQF4
Shucks, Cleverfield, you beat me to this. ...

This is a really cool story. Slavic Village has SO MUCH potential and this old Carnegie Library is just one of several century-plus buildings at the Broadway-E.55th core. This museum looks really interesting -- I hope to visit after it officially opens -- and has the potential to jumpstart positive development at this key corner (the apt/townhouse complex a few blocks up Broadway (at E. 52nd is also a major area booster)). I know Andrew Carnegie, the great corporate mogul-philanthropist -- donated these libraries all across the country to cities and colleges at the turn of the 20th Century. Cleveland has several --> I love the Ohio City branch on Fulton Rd. (beautiful building), but this one is fascinating -- a very rare 10-sided building that is largely hidden from the street. And the collection looks really eclectic and interesting.

Darl Schaaf is my new Cleveland hero.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:49 PM

Thoughts on the new Cleveland Lakefront Plan? It seems pretty ambitious to me, they really just threw in everything and the kitchen sink. Is it too ambitious, or can they really make some or all of this happen? I know there was talk of creating a Lakefront Development Authority to help get this done, but I read that it hit a snag with the county, and I don't believe it ever moved forward. I can't help but feel like under the new city and county regimes we're heading back into the dysfunctional Cleveland of 15-20 years ago where there were a lot of grand ideas but little execution. I hope I'm wrong.

https://www.clevescene.com/news/in-n...front-42990161

Old 10-31-2023, 12:51 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,264,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Thoughts on the new Cleveland Lakefront Plan? It seems pretty ambitious to me, they really just threw in everything and the kitchen sink. Is it too ambitious, or can they really make some or all of this happen? I know there was talk of creating a Lakefront Development Authority to help get this done, but I read that it hit a snag with the county, and I don't believe it ever moved forward. I can't help but feel like under the new city and county regimes we're heading back into the dysfunctional Cleveland of 15-20 years ago where there were a lot of grand ideas but little execution. I hope I'm wrong.

https://www.clevescene.com/news/in-n...front-42990161
One of the recent plans showed that they created a beach down there on the lakefront in front of the stadium...that was the one I liked best.

I'm tired of plans upon plans w/ absolutely nothing happening...

Old 10-31-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I'm tired of plans upon plans w/ absolutely nothing happening...
... tell me about it!... Jane Campbell's big initiative was her BIG Lakefront development plan... Oh yeah, that was 2 decades ago, and nothing has been accomplished, other than the Zocalo (Mexican) restaurant, which I like, and the 16-unit Harbor Court condos, with an on-again/off-again coffee shop/street retail. The ONLY building that got built in a hurry, was the new (now collapsing) Browns stadium because sports are the All Mighty in this town...

... besides that, it's the usual drone-on questions: do we close Burke Airport? Do we relocate the Shoreway? Do we keep the stadium there or move it? Can we relocate the US Navy facility? How do we physically connect downtown to the lakefront? (now it's a landbridge; 10 years ago, it was a complex elevated gondola system), do we build a multi-modal public transportation facility (including the RTA Waterfront Line, Amtrak and Greyhound)? Will it have enough parking? How much is public space? How much commercial? How much residential? Hotels? ... on and on and on. Same old tune over and over and over again.

We will likely get the Rock Hall expansion and, probably, that's it... just a $Billion more for Browns stadium renovation and that's about it... I'm not holding my breath. The Lakefront re-do is Cleveland's biggest ongoing mind-tease in my lifetime.

Old 11-01-2023, 11:52 PM

Well I do think having a dedicated waterfront development agency could help move things along. David Gilbert is also a pretty heavy hitter, and can make things happen. https://www.cleveland.com/news/2023/...outputType=amp

Old 11-07-2023, 06:35 AM

5,301 posts, read 5,264,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
... tell me about it!... Jane Campbell's big initiative was her BIG Lakefront development plan... Oh yeah, that was 2 decades ago, and nothing has been accomplished, other than the Zocalo (Mexican) restaurant, which I like, and the 16-unit Harbor Court condos, with an on-again/off-again coffee shop/street retail. The ONLY building that got built in a hurry, was the new (now collapsing) Browns stadium because sports are the All Mighty in this town...

... besides that, it's the usual drone-on questions: do we close Burke Airport? Do we relocate the Shoreway? Do we keep the stadium there or move it? Can we relocate the US Navy facility? How do we physically connect downtown to the lakefront? (now it's a landbridge; 10 years ago, it was a complex elevated gondola system), do we build a multi-modal public transportation facility (including the RTA Waterfront Line, Amtrak and Greyhound)? Will it have enough parking? How much is public space? How much commercial? How much residential? Hotels? ... on and on and on. Same old tune over and over and over again.

We will likely get the Rock Hall expansion and, probably, that's it... just a $Billion more for Browns stadium renovation and that's about it... I'm not holding my breath. The Lakefront re-do is Cleveland's biggest ongoing mind-tease in my lifetime.
My Answers to the usual questions

Burke Airport: Forget it...the FAA simply doesn't allow the closure of an airport unless a new one is being opened somewhere (not likely)...make do w/ it...plus I doubt the execs at Sherwin Williams or Key Bank or any other major downtown employers want it to go away either.

Relocate the Shoreway...Yes...there is no reason to have that freeway cutting off the lakefront. And for that matter, reroute 90, and take away deadman's curve

Navy Facility? Are you talking about the Port of Cleveland? If so, no...there is no where to move it to. That is a valuable economic engine to the city and region. Especially w/ the Salty's that they are able to load and unload now.

Connecting Downtown to the Lake...The Landbridge make the most sense...stop talking about it and build it.

Multimodal Transit Facility: Yes...again enough talk...build it...give it some parking but it doesn't need a lot.

Rebuild the stadium there but make it a retractable roof dome so it can be used year round for more than just 10 football games a year and maybe 1 US Soccer match and 1 concert.

Old 11-07-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
My Answers to the usual questions

Navy Facility? Are you talking about the Port of Cleveland? If so, no...there is no where to move it to. That is a valuable economic engine to the city and region. Especially w/ the Salty's that they are able to load and unload now.
Sorry, I meant the US Coast guard:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5089...!1e2?entry=ttu

... and next door, there's the Army Corps of Engineers (on the E.9th Street extension)... Both are sitting on prime, developable land.

Old 11-09-2023, 10:50 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,339,663 times
Quote:
Burke Airport: Forget it...the FAA simply doesn't allow the closure of an airport unless a new one is being opened somewhere (not likely)...
That didn't stop Chicago's Mayor Daley from closing Meigs Field back in 2003... he just had it bulldozed in the middle of the night without any advance warning... planes ended up stranded there... I don't recall the FAA doing anything about it, except maybe a slap on the wrist...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland