Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 07:55 AM

378 posts, read 341,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
One other note. If you're an engineer making $100k or more, like most of them are, you're not taking the bus. Come on, if you're into 6 figures, you have a car, you probably have a nice car, and you probably want to drive it to justify the nice price you paid. Stands to reason?

I go to work every day in Solon and I see the people that use the bus, and what they have to go through to get to work. They're let off at Cochran, in the snow, ice and rain, then they walk the quarter mile to their place of employment - while in the snow, ice, rain. Either you can't afford a car, or you made a bad decision and the state says you shouldn't have a car. Nobody who works at the R+D facility in Brecksville is going to take the bus, unless the state has said: "You will not have a drivers license."
I own a car and the majority of the time I choose not to drive it. I take the bus because I'm an advocate for public transit. I have a lot of friends, both fellow engineers and other professionals, who have also chosen to utilize transit. It's not that wild of a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I also think the opportunity corridor was an ill conceived idea in the first place.
Hard agree. However, I could see an integrated R&D campus being one of the better-case scenarios for the outcome of this road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 08:27 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,091,757 times
Quote:
Well i do not have a car. Also, the worker types you reference will absolutely take the bus there. this is the vast majority of people who ride the bus as is. Downtown is an easy transfer to make. I'd love to up the frequencies on all routes though.
Maybe, hopefully, RTA will increase the 77F's frequency once SHW's R&D facility goes online.

Quote:
Sherwin IS locating a major employment center in the city of Cleveland, accessible by just about every transit line in Cleveland.
Don't get me wrong. Cleveland landed the BIG FISH in all this with the new HQ rising on the Public Square surface parking wasteland -- a total win-win, and I'm more than thrilled... My R&D gripes are small potatoes compared to my overall satisfaction of the Sherwin-Williams saga's conclusion.

Quote:
R&D makes sense with space. I'd rather see midtown and places like that fill in with residents, not more sprawling campuses that frankly deaden the area most of the time.
Agreed.

Quote:
It's an absolute ghost town around there. I dont know, but can you name any major r and d facility that locates itself in the city limits or downtown of any major city? What about the environmental concerns?
Check out that central corridor area of St. Louis I mentioned -- not far from the city's trendy Central West End. It too was an empty wasteland of warehouses, truck loading docks, railroad yards and a lot of weeds until a decade or so ago. Like our Rapid through the lower East Side, St. Louis' much newer Metro Link light rail line runs right through this very low population area. But like the Opportunity Corridor's plans, at least, it has been re-purposed for light industry, and computer, computer-related and similar industries are locating there like mad ... and to service these industries, a new in-fill LRT stop was opened in late 2018 as I mentioned... We have a leg up because our Opportunity Corridor is already serviced, for 100 years, by light rail transit (and since 1955 by the Red Line HRT)... The 2 79th Street stations are .5 miles apart! To me, this would have been an ideal location for the R&D ... but alas, that ship has sailed and at least, as I said, we landed the big fish: keep the SHW HQ in the center of town...

... btw SHW's R&D's environmental concerns can't be that bad. I don't think an upscale community like Brecksville would want it if they were.

Quote:
I also think the opportunity corridor was an ill conceived idea in the first place.
Agreed. I absolutely hated the OC concept from jump... But it's now a reality, so my thing is: let's make lemonade out of lemons... Let's keep the fire under the feet of Frank Jackson and City Councilmen who backed this ill-advised project. To his credit, Jackson has really been pushing to build walk-able, mixed-use development around the existing rail stations in the OC. There are big plans for a neighborhood makeover near the recently rebuilt and expanded Quincy-E. 105th Red Line station, including a number of apartment buildings and new housing to fill in the holes on nearby streets.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:02 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

I'm surprised that Litt didn't consider a tunnel connecting the new HQ with Tower City.
I'd like that (as I do with most things regarding Litt), but I'd also be very surprised if S-W would green light a tunnel from Tower City (and all that implies) to their private, secure HQ, community anchor or not, but perhaps.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I'd like that (as I do with most things regarding Litt), but I'd also be very surprised if S-W would green light a tunnel from Tower City (and all that implies) to their private, secure HQ, community anchor or not, but perhaps.
Really? I wouldn't be surprised as SHW's current HQ in the Landmark Office Tower is (historically) connected by tunnel to Tower City mainly for the Rapid and train (long gone) connection.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:10 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Really? I wouldn't be surprised as SHW's current HQ in the Landmark Office Tower is (historically) connected by tunnel to Tower City mainly for the Rapid and train (long gone) connection.
The Landmark Office Towers definitely are connected to the rest of Tower City; I've walked between them.

See "Landmark Building" on the right side of the Public Square Level 2 map here.

https://www.towercitycenter.com/pdfs/directoryMap.pdf

I've never tried walking to the State Office Tower, the Federal Court House or Post Office Plaza using the indicated walkways, but apparently they exist according to the maps above.

Visiting the Sherwin-Williams Museum in the Landmark complex is highly recommended. It may disappear when SW relocates into its new complex. If SW does scrap the museum, I hope they donate the exhibits to the Western Reserve Historical Society.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:18 PM

Default Church+State in Hingetown to begin leasing

Leasing starts Feb. 22 for the 158 apartments in the complex. It seems like an excellent project with many amenities, including an open-air atrium. Some apartments will offer good views of downtown and a roof-top social area will be featured.

NEOtrans: Ohio City's Church+State rising to be a Hingetown hub

Old 02-21-2020, 07:30 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
This is good news. University Circle is booming just like downtown. Remember downtown and University Circle are the first and fourth largest employment centers in the state of Ohio .

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...fMSCWwsp8EXEqc

Old 02-21-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
This is good news. University Circle is booming just like downtown. Remember downtown and University Circle are the first and fourth largest employment centers in the state of Ohio .

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...fMSCWwsp8EXEqc

The site plan in this article is horrible as you can't read the streets. It appears the new 24-story apartment building is going to be built directly across Chester Ave. from the University Circle United Methodist Church ("Church of the Holy Oil Can"), which sits north of Chester Ave., east of 107th St. and west of MLK Jr. Blvd., above Wade Lagoon.

Here's a Google Map of the area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...2!4d-81.613093

Here's a street view with a vacant lot to the right and north across Chester Ave. from the Methodist Church.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...2!4d-81.613093

When 107th St. crosses Chester Ave., it turns into Stokes Blvd. So the new high rise apartment tower will be south of Chester Ave. and EAST of Stokes and west of MLK Jr. Blvd. The article appears wrong when it says that the high rise will be on the site of the old 3rd District police HQ, which was at 10600 Chester Ave., south of Chester Ave., but WEST of Stokes Blvd.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...!4d-81.6136545

This article has a rendering of the entire project, which will greatly change the character of the 107th St./Stokes Blvd. and Chester Ave. intersection. Stokes Blvd. and 107th will resemble a much smaller version of the high rises on Park Blvd. in NYC next to Central Park.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2...posal_cou.html

It clearly shows the high rise on the southeast corner of Stokes and Chester, not on the southwest corner location of the old 3rd District police HQ.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-21-2020 at 09:28 AM..

Old 02-21-2020, 11:45 AM

A Planning Commission green light for the planned City Club apartments on the old Hippodrome Theater site (700 block of Euclid Ave); currently surface parking. Yay!

https://twitter.com/mjarboe/status/1...47523%3Fs%3D20

Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
A Planning Commission green light for the planned City Club apartments on the old Hippodrome Theater site (700 block of Euclid Ave); currently surface parking. Yay!

https://twitter.com/mjarboe/status/1...47523%3Fs%3D20
This is very good news.I just think it should be taller. The announced 24 story apartment in University Circle today (above),may even be taller? Still good news nonetheless I’m sure will see some more high-rise apartment and condo towers over the next 1-5 years! The start of this building boom downtown is quite amazing nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland