Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2022, 01:00 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Mansfield Snow Trails ski resort (privately owned) has been open since December 17th. They invested in System Cooling Tower a couple years ago and allows them to make snow at lower temperatures.

Do you mean they can make snow when air temperatures are higher? I would imagine they have a lot of snow melt, given Mansfield temperatures since Dec. 17, with many highs in the 40s and even the 50s. Were they only open on weekends? I wonder how many ski lifts were open there during the warm weather.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ma...0112?year=2021

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/ohio/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 09:08 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Do you mean they can make snow when air temperatures are higher? I would imagine they have a lot of snow melt, given Mansfield temperatures since Dec. 17, with many highs in the 40s and even the 50s. Were they only open on weekends? I wonder how many ski lifts were open there during the warm weather.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ma...0112?year=2021

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/ohio/
I don't ski but grew up nearby. One day last week they pumped 6.65 million gallons of water. The entire city of Mansfield uses 9 million gallons/day. Snow Trails has sold over 10,000 season passes so far this year, skiers come from NY and surrounding states. They started making snow Nov 23. Their snow base is 16-42" as of today.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:16 PM

Default Persons over age 55 probably shouldn't shovel, or perhaps use a snow blower

I used my snow blower for the second time this winter to clean up after the Martin Luther King Day, 1/24, storm. Many in my neighborhood used their snow blowers both on 1/23 and 1/24. I decided I wasn't going to use my car, so waited until my street was plowed for the last time on 1/24 and tackled the job just before dark (6-7 inches of moderately heavy snow; once again my snow blower loved this snow) and did a few neighbors' drives as well (it's pretty fast work once begun and the clean-up time is the same).

When it's needed, I'm glad I have my snow blower, but, given my age and the fact that I'm retired, I still think I would find a snow removal service to do single pushes without a contract rather than buy a snow blower if I didn't already own one, then hire a neighborhood kid to clean up. I could live without having use of my car for an extra day or two until they could get to my drive.

I probably shouldn't be cleaning my own driveway, especially after hearing the following. The mentality is akin to driving a car as you age, especially after age 70. Having done it for decades, you hate to abandon it despite the risks imposed by declining physical (or mental ability when it comes to driving). At least with snow removal, you're not directly threatening others.

I heard during a WKYC 6 p.m. news story this evening about a Lakewood volunteer group that shovels out senior citizens that the Cleveland Clinic recommends that persons over age 55 or with one or more preexisting medical conditions shouldn't shovel snow, or likely man-handle a large snow blower; the Clinic's point is that it's not worth the risk. I definitely wear a snow mask over my mouth to minimize breathing cold air, which I understand is one of the bigger dangers of do-it-yourself snow removal; I also take a break after 30-45 minutes, hydrate and warm up.

Here's the likely source for the Cleveland Clinic warning:

<<If you have more than one medical condition or are over the age of 55, Dr. Laffin says it’s best to get someone else to shovel for you. It’s simply not worth the risk.>>

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/s...-heart-attack/

Old 01-25-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
skiers come from NY and surrounding states.

I don't understand why anyone would come from western NY, PA or WV to ski on the relatively small slopes in Mansfield.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:35 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
It's because the storm track actually moved west. Very difficult to pinpoint these things days in advance.
They might as well call Doppler Radar "Drop-ler Radar" because they need to drop it in favor of something that provides more accurate predictability of future weather conditions.

Old 01-28-2022, 08:58 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
I don't know about anyone else, but I've shoveled more in the last two weeks than all last winter.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I've shoveled more in the last two weeks than all last winter.

Yesterday, 1/29, was the third time this winter that I've used my snow blower in Lake County. It was only four inches, as a multi-hour lake effect snow band set up over North Collinwood, Euclid and Lake County, but I didn't feel like shoveling even a little bit in the cold air, especially after reading the Cleveland Clinic's warning for the elderly to avoid such strenuous activity.

This may be the last significant snow event this winter, as the 40s and rain are in the forecast for the coming week.

Old 01-31-2022, 06:37 AM

17 posts, read 13,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I actually like shoveling my driveway occasionally as long as as its only a few inches at a time. A foot+ is just a pain in the neck.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:02 PM

469 posts, read 434,103 times
Winter storm Landon is on the way, with the potential for heavy snow Wed through Fri this week.

https://fox8.com/news/winter-storm-l...hat-to-expect/

My alerts are suggesting 8-11 inches of snow possible..

Since this one involves rain transitioning to freezing rain and snow, this one is giving the forecasters fits.

I would keep the snow blowers and shovels handy.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:52 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Winter storm Landon is on the way, with the potential for heavy snow Wed through Fri this week.

https://fox8.com/news/winter-storm-l...hat-to-expect/

My alerts are suggesting 8-11 inches of snow possible..

Since this one involves rain transitioning to freezing rain and snow, this one is giving the forecasters fits.

I would keep the snow blowers and shovels handy.
We will see. I will give reports another 24 hours before I really buy in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland