Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 11:32 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times

Advertisements

We had many days like this when I lived in the Charlotte area...the heat never has bothered me, I just wish I was off work today as it would definitely be a day to go swim in the lake...that said many places in NE OHio probably don't have AC...if you don't have that, then this is unbearable.

I do enjoy the fact that our winters have become more mild...gone are the days where we get the first big snows in Nov and then don't see the grass until spring. This past winter it was surprising that we had a stretch of about 30 days in a row w/ snow pack on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 12:01 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I do enjoy the fact that our winters have become more mild...gone are the days where we get the first big snows in Nov and then don't see the grass until spring. This past winter it was surprising that we had a stretch of about 30 days in a row w/ snow pack on the ground.
It has never been the case that it snows in November and it covers the ground for 4 months. THe reason this winter was surprising is because it was the third longest such streak on record. People have very poor memories when it comes to weather, for whatever reason. The longest such streak was Jan 9 to March 14, 1978 (65 days).

Old 06-15-2022, 02:05 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It has never been the case that it snows in November and it covers the ground for 4 months. THe reason this winter was surprising is because it was the third longest such streak on record. People have very poor memories when it comes to weather, for whatever reason. The longest such streak was Jan 9 to March 14, 1978 (65 days).

What's the source of this information? Could you please post a link? TIA!

Old 06-15-2022, 02:56 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What's the source of this information? Could you please post a link? TIA!
https://www.cleveland.com/data/2022/...outputType=amp

And at 23 days plain dealer was writing about the streak as the longest since 2015. It is really not common at all historically.

https://www.cleveland.com/data/2022/...outputType=amp

Snow on the ground for a couple weeks is much more the norm and then a random day will hit 50 and it’s all gone.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I guess it just seemed that way growing up...I seem to remember far colder winters...more days w/ snow cover than in recent years.

Old 11-13-2022, 07:03 AM

Default First day of snow accumulation in Lake County snow belt

Had 1-2 inches of snow accumulation on the ground and roofs this morning (Nov. 13) despite temperatures above freezing currently (overnight low was 32 degrees F.). Paved areas generally had minimal snow and ice. It is beautiful, and my first thought was this would have been acceptable on Christmas day.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:00 AM

Default Lake Erie snow belt

The snowfall forecast maps in this article for Tuesday and Wednesday are interesting as they show how the primary Lake Erie snowbelt stretches from about Erie, PA, through Buffalo.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/winte...theast/1277651

Greater Cleveland will experience over the next week an early bout of winter weather. I've seen forecasts for as much as six inches of snow for Wednesday night in the eastern snowbelt. Temperatures with highs in the low 30s and lows in the low 20s are forecast for this weekend.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cl...orecast/350127

By contrast, here's the temperature history from last November.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cl...0127?year=2021

Old 02-25-2023, 07:53 AM

Default Winter 2022-2023 preliminary restrospective

Was this the most mild winter in Greater Cleveland's recorded history? It will be interesting to see how it ranks once winter has ended.

Looking at Accuweather.com's monthly history and forecast, it now appears that we've experienced our last day of winter with a high below freezing. In February, there were only two days, both at beginning of the month, with a high below freezing! There have been eight days with highs above 50 degrees, and two days with a high of 70 degrees!!!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cl...weather/350127

I can't remember the last day, if at all in 2023, that I touched a shovel, even though I live in the historic lake effect snow belt in central Lake County. I used my snow blower once all winter and I was able to drive through my driveway, including the apron, even then before clearing the driveway, and that was during the Christmas holiday cold snap, an old-fashioned winter experience.

This morning, there's a dusting of snow on the driveway, sure to melt within a few hours. I considered briefly using my snow blower just because I don't want the hassle of draining it, even though I only put in less than a half of tank of gas at the beginning of the snow season. This morning, I'm going to spend five minutes clearing some of the snow before it melts with my push shovel, just for the exercise and fresh air, and perhaps to experience a very little nostalgia.

The question to be answered in coming years is whether this winter is an anomaly, or just one more winter marking the beginning of the end of snowy, relatively cold, prolonged winters in Greater Cleveland. Due to the rapid onslaught of climate change, I greatly fear the latter, with all of the dire ramifications virtually ignored by our media and leaders. Our increasingly disappearing winters have been very obvious to me over the last five years, let alone looking back over the several decades of my lifetime in Lake County.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-25-2023 at 08:04 AM..

Old 02-25-2023, 01:45 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
The winter was non-existent in most of the Ohio Valley, including where I live in southern Indiana. There were only a few very cold days, all in December. The coldest low temperature for the winter was -10.4F in Floyd County where I live. February has been nearly record warmth for the entire month across the board. Glad to see at least the western US is finally having a good snow and water year, however.

Old 02-27-2023, 01:56 PM

Definitely seems to be becoming more the norm where last year was more like it used to be w/ long stretches of snow cover and several good snow storms...
I do feel we will still see our typical March snowstorm at some time...but maybe not...have not had a single what I call snow storm yet this year...that said, we've had several very near misses...Buffalo, only 4 hrs up the road got hammered in Nov and Dec...had those winds then been out of the NW instead of just the west...we would have gotten it...and several big snow storms have moved out of the TX Panhandle southern Rockies and moved over us which gave the snow to the Twin Cities and WI and central MI...had one of those storms just tracked 100-200 miles south, we would have gotten heavy snow instead of rain.
What we haven't really seen this winter are any Clipper Systems or fronts that bring NW winds across the unfrozen lake...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland