Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 12:27 PM

171 posts, read 148,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
But, a lot of the liberal elitists or the those media outlets won't focus on that because it'll ruin their perfect, pristine image.
Actually, they do talk about it (crime in East Coast cities). I’ve never heard anybody suggest that the Midwest has a greater crime problem than the coasts.

There are many reasons that people on the coasts don’t travel to the Midwest. Mainly, they just don’t see what the Midwest has to offer that they can’t already find nearby. The coasts also have world class orchestras, art museums, etc. as well as beautiful mountains and beaches. Why should they bother traveling to the Midwest?

I personally think the Midwest is a great place to live, and I always enjoy visiting Cleveland and Chicago. But if I didn’t already have ties to the area, I’m not sure I’d see a reason to go out of my way to go there.

I don’t think that makes me a snob or an elitist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 01:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
Actually, they do talk about it (crime in East Coast cities). I’ve never heard anybody suggest that the Midwest has a greater crime problem than the coasts.

There are many reasons that people on the coasts don’t travel to the Midwest. Mainly, they just don’t see what the Midwest has to offer that they can’t already find nearby. The coasts also have world class orchestras, art museums, etc. as well as beautiful mountains and beaches. Why should they bother traveling to the Midwest?

I personally think the Midwest is a great place to live, and I always enjoy visiting Cleveland and Chicago. But if I didn’t already have ties to the area, I’m not sure I’d see a reason to go out of my way to go there.

It’s been my experience that many people I’ve met on the West Coast aren’t aware that the Midwest had these things. Even more odd, when I would tell those people, “What about Chicago’s great symphony, museums etc?” I would often get the response, “Oh, but Chicago’s ‘Back East,’ that’s not the Midwest.”

To them the Midwest was strictly farmland and small towns and nothing much more. “East” was NYC, Boston and the like and were equal to the West Coast in sophistication. Chicago being a big city in what they perceived as being in that general area was included in on it.

I am not kidding.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:

I never hear them talk about the crime issues in Philly, D.C. or Atlanta like they do in Chicago on the nightly news and those cities have higher crime problems than some Midwest cities, so they tend to get so many passes by the media. Also, you never see any city on the Coasts in the Top 20 on "The Most Dangerous City" list only Midwest and Southern cities. To some of those people on the Coasts, they would think that Midwest cities are like Crime Central. In fact, some of them do think that.

I say, it's 50/50 why your people on the Coasts don't visit the Midwest. Half of it is what you said, but the other half they already have their minds made up about what the Midwest is based on the media or hearsay. Some of them try to go out of their way to make themselves so open-minded and people in the Midwest close-minded but little do they know they're just being as close-minded as the people they're accusing of doing the same thing. At least more people in the Midwest can be more open-minded to things outside of their comfort zone than more people on the Coasts. That's why a lot of people look at people on the Coasts as snobs and/or elitists.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 05-14-2018 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 01:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It’s been my experience that many people I’ve met on the West Coast aren’t aware that the Midwest had these things. Even more odd, when I would tell those people, “What about Chicago’s great symphony, museums etc?” I would often get the response, “Oh, but Chicago’s ‘Back East,’ that’s not the Midwest.”

To them the Midwest was strictly farmland and small towns and nothing much more. “East” was NYC, Boston and the like and were equal to the West Coast in sophistication. Chicago being a big city in what they perceived as being in that general area was included in on it.

I am not kidding.
You are so right. It's funny that they say the Coasts are suppose to be better educated, but it seems that a lot of them never learned basic geography in school.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 05-14-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 05-14-2018, 01:54 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:

Maybe I am a hipster or something, but traveling to the other big coastal cities doesn't really offer much. I mean, sure, Philly and Boston already have high cultural amenities just as good as if not better than Pittsburgh and Cleveland etc. True enough. But the difference between, say, Philly and Boston is getting less and less in terms of actual on-the-street culture. I've been finding smaller cities that don't get much press to be interesting and fun. There's something more enjoyable for me going to a place that isn't written about and covered ad nauseum. Just spent a 3-day weekend in Scranton PA for example, a few weeks ago. Ever been to Scranton? Surely it has "less to offer" (in a generally accepted sense) than Boston or Cleveland. But you know what? I found out that Scranton pizza puts everyone to shame! Just happened to be staying near a beer festival for cheap. Discovered all kinds of history I had 0 idea about.

Really hoping to get our to a few more under the radar places in the next few years: Boise, Louisville, Omaha, Des Moines, Savannah are on the list for now.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I never hear them talk about the crime issues in Philly, D.C. or Atlanta like they do in Chicago on the nightly news and those cities have higher crime problems than some Midwest cities, so they tend to get so many passes by the media. Also, you never see any city on the Coasts in the Top 20 on "The Most Dangerous City" list only Midwest and Southern cities. To some of those people on the Coasts, they would think that Midwest cities are like Crime Central. In fact, some of them do think that.

I say, it's 50/50 why your people on the Coasts don't visit the Midwest. Half of it is what you said, but the other half they already have their minds made up about what the Midwest is based on the media or hearsay. Some of them try to go out of their way to make themselves so open-minded and people in the Midwest close-minded but little do they know they're just being as close-minded as the people they're accusing of doing the same thing. At least more people in the Midwest can be more open-minded to things outside of their comfort zone than more people on the Coasts. That's why a lot of people look at people on the Coasts as snobs and/or elitists.
And I never hear them talk about Cleveland when I watch the nightly news. That’s because those programs are tailored to the specific region that they’re broadcast to. Regarding the lists of most dangerous cities, I’d have to see the data. If the lists are based on actual data, you can’t really blame the people on the coasts for that.

What I do know is that cities on the coasts have plenty of crime, and I’ve never heard anybody suggest that the Midwest is any worse. The one person I met who refused to go to Chicago was a guy from St. Louis, another Midwestern City. If anything, people here stereotype the Midwest as being overly friendly and polite—like the people in the movie Fargo.

I really think you’re making a lot of generalizations. You need to try living on one of the coasts before making such blanket statements.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Maybe I am a hipster or something, but traveling to the other big coastal cities doesn't really offer much. I mean, sure, Philly and Boston already have high cultural amenities just as good as if not better than Pittsburgh and Cleveland etc. True enough. But the difference between, say, Philly and Boston is getting less and less in terms of actual on-the-street culture. I've been finding smaller cities that don't get much press to be interesting and fun. There's something more enjoyable for me going to a place that isn't written about and covered ad nauseum. Just spent a 3-day weekend in Scranton PA for example, a few weeks ago. Ever been to Scranton? Surely it has "less to offer" (in a generally accepted sense) than Boston or Cleveland. But you know what? I found out that Scranton pizza puts everyone to shame! Just happened to be staying near a beer festival for cheap. Discovered all kinds of history I had 0 idea about.

Really hoping to get our to a few more under the radar places in the next few years: Boise, Louisville, Omaha, Des Moines, Savannah are on the list for now.
Couldn’t agree more. When I was young and looking for a place to relocate to from Chicago I looked for places that were off the beaten path and not the typical places to which everyone else was flocking. Back then Portland and Seattle were those places no one thought about. That’s how I wound up in the PNW.

As an old geezer, when I decided to relocate from Portland, I obviously wasn’t going to seek out places where the hip young people were going but I wasn’t looking for the places where the geezers were going either. Some of us just don’t like to follow the crowd. But if someone wants the cookie cutter type city that’s fine, to each their own.

Cleveland is just unique enough for me. Although, I cringed a while back when some video links posted on this forum were supposed to be selling Cleveland. They looked like all the other videos of all the other cities I’ve seen with the emphasis on Millennails dating, running, biking, eating at a dizzying pace as if they were trying to say, “We look just like all the other cities with the emphasis on Millennials dating, running, biking, eating at a dizzying pace too!” And the background music on all of them was noisy and grating.

No thanks. Show me things I’m not going to find elsewhere on the Cleveland videos.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:53 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
. Although, I cringed a while back when some video links posted on this forum were supposed to be selling Cleveland. They looked like all the other videos of all the other cities I’ve seen with the emphasis on Millennails dating, running, biking, eating at a dizzying pace as if they were trying to say, “We look just like all the other cities with the emphasis on Millennials dating, running, biking, eating at a dizzying pace too!” And the background music on all of them was noisy and grating.

No thanks. Show me things I’m not going to find elsewhere on the Cleveland videos.
The fortunate thing is that Cleveland isn't really like that so much!

Old 05-14-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Exactly. This is the point I was trying to make earlier. If I live in a major city that already has world class cultural amenities, why should I visit Cleveland? Show me something unique that I can’t find at home!

Regarding visiting places that are “off the beaten path”: This is true everywhere, not just in the Midwest. For example, the Eastern Shore of Maryland is a fascinating place to visit. It’s geographically beautiful and also has a lot of history (including some abandoned ghost towns from the Colonial Era—nothing spookier than seeing some old brick buildings from the early 1700’s in the middle of an isolated field). But few people outside of the region have ever visited these places.

Many tourists visit the major cities of the coasts. But few venture off the beaten path.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Exactly. This is the point I was trying to make earlier. If I live in a major city that already has world class cultural amenities, why should I visit Cleveland? Show me something unique that I can’t find at home!
In Greater Cleveland, unique attractions would include the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Steamship Mather, the U.S.S. Cod (far superior to other WWII fleet submarine museums as it was retired with much of its equipment intact and visitors enter and exit using the original hatches and ladders, providing an authentic experience), Holden Arboretum (Emergent Tower and Canopy Walk), Historic Kirtland (where the Mormon Church was first established), Kirtland Temple (the first Mormon temple and open to the public), the West Side Market, the Cleveland Museum of Art (to my knowledge, no other museum yet offers the likes of the Artlens Gallery and the CMA's overall digital experience; the CMA has one of the very best Asian and textile collections in the U.S. as part of one of the nation's very best encyclopedic collections in one of the best art museum physical plants), and the Cleveland Orchestra (the combination of the excellence of the Cleveland Orchestra as an ensemble, and the beauty and wonderful acoustics of Severance Hall). The Garfield Monument (have you visited it yet) is the largest and most ornate of Presidential resting places, exceeding Grant's Tomb. Wade Chapel at Lake View Cemetery is one of the best surviving examples of the work of Louis Comfort Tiffany.

https://lakeviewcemetery.com/visit/p...morial-chapel/

Read through reviews by non-Clevelanders of the Cleveland Museum of Art.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...o.html#REVIEWS

<<But the highlight - the big pig-out revelation - came the morning we visited the West Side Market. It's huge, vastly outsizing Capitol Hill's beloved Eastern Market. It's sparkling clean, putting Baltimore's Lexington Market to shame. And the variety! Pasta, sausage, cheese, pastry, pierogies, tamales, meat, meat, meat.>>

Impulsive Traveler: A Cleveland neighborhood rises above the city's Rust Belt image

In Greater Cleveland, add in the Pro Football Hall of Fame and Ohio Amish Country, the largest Amish community in the U.S. A visit to eastern Holmes County far exceeds a visit to suburbanized Lancaster County in PA. Cedar Point is unequaled as a roller coaster haven, both for its collection of thrill rides and its location on a Lake Erie peninsula. Stan Hywet Hall in Akron is one of the very best historic mansions in the U.S. The National First Ladies Library also is in Canton.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...h.Country.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...kron_Ohio.html

For fans of Hollywood's Golden Age, I know of nothing on the East Coast that compares to Malabar Farm State Park. Louis Bromfield's Big House there is frozen in its mid-20th century excellence which made it a favored and historic Hollywood escape. And Lawnfield at the James A. Garfield National Historic Site in Mentor is acclaimed as perhaps the best 19th century historical Presidential mansion available in the National Park Service. A significant majority of the furnishings there actually belonged to the Garfield family. The combination of Lawnfield and the Garfield Monument make Cleveland a must stop for those on Presidential tours.

https://www.nps.gov/jaga/index.htm

Cleveland is well worth a stop, especially on a vacation road trip inclusive of Niagara Falls, a leg through Cleveland and perhaps Sandusky to the Henry Ford outside of Detroit, and then south to Dayton for its incomparable aviation history attractions.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...The.World.html

The Lake Erie Islands offer the only peace memorial in the National Park Service, the world's most massive Doric column, and observation deck that overlooks the site of perhaps the most consequential naval battle in the nation's history. Kelleys Island offers what is generally acclaimed as the nation's best example of glacial grooves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry%...Peace_Memorial

See Mohican region here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

Cleveland may not be Washington, DC, New York City, Boston or Philadelphia, but it does have wonderful attractions worthy of visiting.

For those many cultural tourists, Cleveland is a worthy stop, especially compared to less than a couple handfuls of American cities, one of which certainly is Chicago. Cultural tourists flock to excellence like moths to a flame.

And I know birders from the East Coast who have visited northwest Ohio several times for the Biggest Week in American Birding, even before it was a formal festival.

I've traveled across the U.S. visiting museums and attractions much less worthy than the attractions offered in northern Ohio. The Toledo Museum of Art and the Butler Institute of American Art in Youngstown are great art museums compared to those in much larger American cities.

Also, for those who like to celebrate Christmas, its tough to beat the combo punch of "A Christmas Story" house and of Castel Noel in Medina.

http://www.medina-gazette.com/News/2...in-Medina.html

https://www.ohio.com/akron/entertain...noel-in-medina

I would agree that a video could be made which would be more effective in attracting tourists to Greater Cleveland than the glitzy output that most characterizes thisiscleveland.com.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-14-2018 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland