Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 03:18 PM

840 posts, read 760,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I don't understand why there's such bias towards Midwest cities. To me, it seems to me that those people who have those biases don't get outside of their cities and their own bubble but they're quick to say people in the Midwest are ignorant, uneducated, uncultured or close-minded. I enjoy visiting Chicago but I can't live there.
I think it's just that intellectual and cultural life has developed predominantly on the coasts and led to more educational and job opportunities which has led to more people moving there. I suppose being near the ocean has been desirable and played a part in development too. I think the midwest has developed differently for the most part although there are definitely cities with culture and good colleges.

But it's the Liberal elites who mainly discount the "flyover states" and we saw how this attitude played a part in the recent presidential election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 08:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post

But it's the Liberal elites who mainly discount the "flyover states" and we saw how this attitude played a part in the recent presidential election.
Coastal progressives own the media so their biases come through. Best to just ignore them.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:10 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Coastal progressives own the media so their biases come through. Best to just ignore them.
I agree. As much as I still love my Portland friends and others in the West Coast, I realize especially now that I no longer live there what utter and complete snobs they can sometimes be about the rest of the country. Especially because most have never traveled west of the Cascades.

To each their own.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:54 AM

171 posts, read 148,943 times
Here’s another example of how people in the “cool” cities worry about too much growth. If amazon decided to put their headquarters in Cleveland, people would be thrilled. But not in D.C.!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2a_story.html?
_term=.6f1cc90b0df0

Old 05-13-2018, 11:02 AM

It's kind of like when an ordinary Joe wins a billion dollar lottery and it ruins his life because he didn't know how to handle it. It happens all the time. The only people who benefit are those who manage to get their piece of the action poor Joe meantime loses the money, friends, family and whatever life he had before. Too much too soon without a plan.

I wonder what some of these boom towns will look like in 30-40 years. When you think about it, throughout history there have been booms and busts, whether it's logging, coal, gold, steel, etc. Now it's tech. Each time people think the prosperity will last forever. Each time it doesn't. Eventually it all evens out. They all get their turn. Nobody envied Portland and Seattle forty years ago as some do today. Maybe forty years from now they will envy Cleveland in the same way. That's why I keep saying there is no need to feel inferior to anyone.

Based on my own experience, for me, the important thing is not who's there, it's to learn the good and the not-so-good ways they got there. I just want to see Cleveland and all other cities now striving for greater success learning from the mistakes of other cities and not copy them.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Honestly, I think there are snobs everywhere. The majority of people on the coasts are normal, every day people just trying to get by. Many of these aren’t even originally from the coasts. They are transplants from the Midwest like me. The snobs exist but I would not say they are typical or the majority any more than I would say that the “typical” Midwesterner is an ignorant, anti-intellectual redneck.

While I’d agree that many people on the coasts are clueless about the flyover states, plenty of people in the heartland are ignorant about the coasts and the problems that we have here. Hence, the subject of this thread. Think we have it better here on the coasts? Try living here, get to know the region, and then decide for yourself.

Hint: Not everybody here has a white collar, professional job, and not everybody is a liberal—especially when you get outside the big cities.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
wonder what some of these boom towns will look like in 30-40 years. When you think about it, throughout history there have been booms and busts, whether it's logging, coal, gold, steel, etc.
I do think there’s a difference between a boom town and a well established city. Boston will always be an academic powerhouse with places like Harvard and MIT, New York is a financial powerhouse and will always have Wall St. and access to serious money, and D.C. is the capital of the U.S. and a political powerhouse with untold influence. I really don’t see that changing, any more than I would expect to see London or Paris to disappear.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:40 PM

840 posts, read 760,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
Honestly, I think there are snobs everywhere. The majority of people on the coasts are normal, every day people just trying to get by. Many of these aren’t even originally from the coasts. They are transplants from the Midwest like me. The snobs exist but I would not say they are typical or the majority any more than I would say that the “typical” Midwesterner is an ignorant, anti-intellectual redneck.

While I’d agree that many people on the coasts are clueless about the flyover states, plenty of people in the heartland are ignorant about the coasts and the problems that we have here. Hence, the subject of this thread. Think we have it better here on the coasts? Try living here, get to know the region, and then decide for yourself.

Hint: Not everybody here has a white collar, professional job, and not everybody is a liberal—especially when you get outside the big cities.
Well I guess I was talking more about the movers and shakers such as the media as bjimmy mentioned. They have shaped opinion and discounted those in the middle of the country which may have contributed to the low self esteem mentioned here.

I grew up in Massachusetts and know not everyone is wealthy or educated etc. and some of those people can feel just as bad about their towns or selves.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I do think there’s a difference between a boom town and a well established city. Boston will always be an academic powerhouse with places like Harvard and MIT, New York is a financial powerhouse and will always have Wall St. and access to serious money, and D.C. is the capital of the U.S. and a political powerhouse with untold influence. I really don’t see that changing, any more than I would expect to see London or Paris to disappear.
We are talking about two different things. I was referring to what I think of as boomtowns like Portland and Seattle which have seen hard times and good over the decades not long time well established ones. I am talking about boosts the Media is giving those newer places experiencing a boom that's causing some of their problems because those cities aren't ready for all of it. I am not including cities like Boston or New York in this.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:09 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
New York is a financial powerhouse and will always have Wall St. and access to serious money
Some persons don't believe this, especially given the new $10,000 deduction limit for state and local taxes in the new federal tax bill.

https://nypost.com/2018/05/08/allian...-to-nashville/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland