Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
We have a Little Italy also! Take that other cities! jk, jk haha. But no it's fun over there too but I agree probably not the foodie epicenter compared to Ohio City. Many cities would kill to have a neighborhood that looks/feels like our 4th or 5th best food neighborhood though, so that isn't a bad thing.
Obviously I know that Cleveland has a Little Italy. What I meant to say is that a Little Italy isn't unique to Cleveland. I feel that the Market District, taken as a whole, has a unique Cleveland vibe, especially with the ethnic and locavore emphasis and the West Side Market and even "Burning River Ale" at Great Lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 AM

133 posts, read 175,837 times
Little Italy's might not be unique, however Cleveland's LI is one of the largest and best around the country...

Six Little Italy Neighborhoods Across the United States | BootsnAll

Askmen.com ranked Cleveland's Little Italy #3 out of 10 in their list of Top 10

Old 04-21-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
Little Italy's might not be unique, however Cleveland's LI is one of the largest and best around the country...

Six Little Italy Neighborhoods Across the United States | BootsnAll

Askmen.com ranked Cleveland's Little Italy #3 out of 10 in their list of Top 10
Clevelandsrocks, it's great that Cleveland has a viable and distinctive Little Italy. Admittedly, most U.S. cities don't have anything like it. However, it is significantly smaller than a few of the other cities that hosted large numbers of Italian immigrants, such as Philadelphia, Boston and NYC. Of course, Cleveland is smaller than those cities!

Last edited by WRnative; 04-21-2015 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 01:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Haha I knew that but just figured I'd throw it out there just how awesome our cuisine is. I'd agree with you that Ohio City is the most unique to Cleveland neighborhood, and the one neighborhood I would absolutely without a doubt show to out of town guests.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,811 times
Cleveland had a Big Italy (Woodland Avenue ) Old Haymarket Area and a Little Italy at the same time . Big Italy started to decline by the 1960's .
Further demise of the residential area of course was the building of the freeway system

Old 04-23-2015, 07:10 AM

133 posts, read 175,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Clevelandsrocks, it's great that Cleveland has a viable and distinctive Little Italy. Admittedly, most U.S. cities don't have anything like it. However, it is significantly smaller than a few of the other cities that hosted large numbers of Italian immigrants, such as Philadelphia, Boston and NYC. Of course, Cleveland is smaller than those cities!
It doesn't sound like you've been to any one of those Little Italy's you mentioned in sometime. Cleveland's Little Italy is hands down bigger and better than NYC's LI. I was just there last weekend.....

Little Italy does not even exist anymore in NYC, its a tourist extension of Chinatown.

Little Italy is on the brink of extinction | New York Post

Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
It doesn't sound like you've been to any one of those Little Italy's you mentioned in sometime. Cleveland's Little Italy is hands down bigger and better than NYC's LI. I was just there last weekend.....

Little Italy does not even exist anymore in NYC, its a tourist extension of Chinatown.

I think the new NYC Little Italy is called "Staten Island".

Old 04-23-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:

Admittedly, I haven't been to NYC's Little Italy in several decades. Having visited it once, I didn't see a need to go back given frequent visits to Cleveland's Little Italy, which IMO has gotten much better in recent decades.

Good article. Those rents in NYC's Little Italy are frightening, and likely reflected in the price of the meals, a vicious circle raising costs of restaurants and lowering revenues. Relatively low occupancy costs certainly are an attraction for restaurateurs in Cleveland, as are more reasonable restaurant prices for customers.

My hunch is that Cleveland's Little Italy has at least several good decades ahead. However, with the relocation of the Red Line station and the likely expansion of Uptown, similar pressures to those in NYC's Little Italy may begin to impact Cleveland's Little Italy. Many Italian Americans of several generations descent obviously feel little need to live in the old neighborhood. I guess we should savor our Little Italy while we still have it.

One advantage of Cleveland's Little Italy is the adjacent Lake View Cemetery. I love to combine visits to both attractions, especially with out-of-town guests.

Uptown even now offers some competition to Little Italy's restaurants. Visitors to University Circle no longer have to walk as far to get a good meal.

Little Italy's businesses should ban together and offer free shuttle service from University Circle to Little Italy, much as is provided in downtown Cleveland. I know myself and others don't like dealing with the lack of parking in Little Italy.

BTW, Bruno's Ristorante on the west side is on the PD's A-list of 100 best Great Cleveland restaurants. Cleveland Scene has ranked it as Cleveland's best Italian restaurant. It's very moderately priced, parking typically is not a problem, especially for lunch, and prices are reasonable. Bruno himself often hangs around the bar when business is slow during lunch hours. When downtown, or in the Market District, and get a yen for Italian, I often head to Bruno's, not Little Italy. Bruno's definitely is in a much less gentrified neighborhood than Little Italy.

Dinner reservations are a good idea at Bruno's, a relatively small restaurant, and in Little Italy.

Galucci's also is well worth checking out for good, bargain-priced Italian food.

Giovanni's in Beachwood likely is Cleveland's most acclaimed, very upscale Italian restaurant. It most reminds me of some Italian restaurants outside NYC's Little Italy that I've more recently enjoyed in NYC.

http://www.cleveland.com/dining/inde...e_leopard.html

Last edited by WRnative; 04-23-2015 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 10:16 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
I've noticed that the Scene in general makes no qualms about hiding somewhat of an anti-Little Italy bias. Perhaps because the restaurants there are not willing to pony up for advertising money if that is what causes places to get mentioned, or perhaps because the Scene would prefer to see every neighborhood be completely filled with trendy places (out with the old, in with the new) similar to Pittsburgh. To their credit, they do mention Sokolowski's quite often, but then again, how could they not.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:17 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
A little shout out from USA Today Hot dogs + tater tots = A 'happy' time in Cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland