Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:04 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,802 times

Advertisements

I have never seen so many unqualified people comment on a subject in my life.

Not that everybody isn't entitled to their opinion, but, bringing up rappers? Seriously?

The area was first Native American, of course, then was always the fringe between the north and the south. The district of Columbia was cut out of the state of Maryland, which was the northernmost Southern Colony.

Washington is not an organic city like Baltimore, Phila, NY and Boston. It was created years later, and deliberately (whereas the other towns built from small towns.) Washington was always designed to be the capital city in the federal district.

D.C. would have been south until the era when the railroad was built (1840s?)

After the railroads connected the NE corridor, all the cities became more like each other than their seperate states.

NY has more to do with Philadelphia than it does Buffalo, NY. Philadelphia has more to do with Baltimore than it does Erie, PA.

Washington doesn't have to look like the other NE cities, because it was designed to be a capital city modeled after EUROPEAN CITIES. These senseless comparisons to other U.S. cities ignore the fact that the layout of Washington is that of a EUROPEAN city.

If you say D.C. is southern in character, or nature, you're searching... searching for something that isn't there.

Last edited by Joe84323; 10-26-2010 at 06:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 06:17 PM

115 posts, read 149,520 times
DC is an "East Coast" (NE) city whether you want to admit it or not.

If you took this poll to the Washington DC forum, or to Washington DC itself, nearly all of them would consider DC as NE/Mid-Atlantic rather than Southern.

Go to the streets and randomly ask people if DC is Southern or Northern, nearly everyone will say Northern. DC shares more similarities with the NE than the South. For one, the city has that unmistakeable NE feel, it's very connected to NYC, Philadelphia and Boston..and it's also too upper middle class and educated to be a southern city. It's very Northeast in that sense.

And the results of this poll say it all.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:08 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I guess, it just sounds very weird.

Just like WV is "considered" a Southern state but it extends to NYC's latitude.
i made this exact same point in a different thread a few months ago. good job

Last edited by KodeBlue; 10-26-2010 at 07:22 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The architecture is different, yes. But the people are very southern. When you say "Yuuung" and "Jive Like" and "Dey Be Fakin," you are southern. Period. Could you imagine Memphis Bleek or Beanie Sigel saying, "Mayne, these bammas up in hur be jive fakin like they want it, slim, we bout to curry it and go hard fo real, Yung. Believe that, Lova Looova." Who talks like that? I mean, they really talk like this. They don't say "carry," they say "curry." That's southern, man.

You need to explore far SE and NE DC and P.G. County. They're not as different from Atlanta as they think.
lmao!!

Old 10-26-2010, 07:17 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I guess, it just sounds very weird.

Just like WV is "considered" a Southern state but it extends to NYC's latitude.
I don't think there's much to consider when you learn that West Virginia had a state law mandating that white and black children attend separate schools .. until 1994.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:22 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,769,046 times
Wheeling, West Virgina feels solidly rust belt. West Virginia is not a southern state. Its a mixture, and has always historically been considered a border state.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzyy View Post
and it's also too upper middle class and educated to be a southern city. It's very Northeast in that sense.
I was with you up until this part. I suppose Philadelphia and Atlanta should switch regions then.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The architecture is different, yes. But the people are very southern. When you say "Yuuung" and "Jive Like" and "Dey Be Fakin," you are southern. Period. Could you imagine Memphis Bleek or Beanie Sigel saying, "Mayne, these bammas up in hur be jive fakin like they want it, slim, we bout to curry it and go hard fo real, Yung. Believe that, Lova Looova." Who talks like that? I mean, they really talk like this. They don't say "carry," they say "curry." That's southern, man.

You need to explore far SE and NE DC and P.G. County. They're not as different from Atlanta as they think.
I've explored more than I probably should have in the metropolitan area. I lived in Landover before moving to Northeast DC. Yeah, I heard that slang except Mayne. Never heard any born and bred DC said that and I rarely heard jive fakin. But it's slang. I don't see how slang would mean they are Southern. Heck, even in Chicago, they use slang words that you would think they are Southern. But they are straight Midwestern.

I'm saying that DC is not entirely Southern or entirely Northern. The area is strictly Mid-Atlantic and culturally the capital of that region which is basically Virginia/DC/Maryland/West Virginia/Southern Delaware.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:54 PM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Washington doesn't have to look like the other NE cities, because it was designed to be a capital city modeled after EUROPEAN CITIES. These senseless comparisons to other U.S. cities ignore the fact that the layout of Washington is that of a EUROPEAN city.
Yeah, that's what I was saying in an earlier post. If you visit Paris and London, it becomes pretty obvious where Washington, D.C. gets it iconic architecture and layout from.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
yea, thats the whole point. many southern states, especially the inland ones, lack overwhelmingly large cities to overpower the rural areas.

no, that doesnt come into play here. the census breaks up the counties into "census blocks" when gauging total rural population.

yea, thats the entire point. the rural south has a lot of small towns very close together, but they are all small. the rural west has small towns all very far apart, so cities dont have to be as big to overwhelm the rural population. thats the entire point, that small-town rural life still represents very significant portions of many southern states.
once again, they do it by blocks.

from the census: For Census 2000, the Census Bureau classifies as "urban" all territory, population, and housing units located within an urbanized area (UA) or an urban cluster (UC). It delineates UA and UC boundaries to encompass densely settled territory, which consists of:
-core census block groups or blocks that have a population density of at least 1,000 people per square mile and
-surrounding census blocks that have an overall density of at least 500 people per square mile

from wiki, defining a block:A census block is the smallest geographic unit used by the United States Census Bureau for tabulation of 100-percent data (data collected from all houses, rather than a sample of houses). i agree, although mostly in the south atlantic states. i dont think AR, KY, WV, MS and AL will be affected much.
In terms of gauging what is urban, census blocks are used. This isn't used to gauge a rural area. The census basically operates at the county level to determine what is rural. Any non-metropolitan or non-micropolitan areas are determined to be rural. Thus, many, many rural areas are officially recognized as metropolitan.

The South does not lack large inland metropolitan areas.

Dallas-Ft Worth - 6.7 million
Atlanta- 5.7 million
San Antonio 2.4 million
Orlando- 2.2 million
Charlotte - 2 million
Austin- 1.8 million
Raleigh-Durham -1.7 million
Nashville 1.6 million
Memphis 1.3 million
Louisville 1.2 million
Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point (Piedmont Triad) 1.2 million
Greenville-Spartanburg 1.1 million
Birmingham 1.1 million
Richmond 1.1 million

On top of this, there are several inland metros which range from 700,000-1 million, including:

Columbia
Knoxville
Baton Rouge

Let's take a look at the inland northeast metros over one million:

Pittsburgh- 2.2 million
Hartford 1.6 million?
Buffalo 1.4 million
Albany-Schenectady 1.2 million
Rochester 1.2 million
Syracuse 1.1 million
Scranton-Wilkes Barre 1 million?
Allentown-Bethlehem 900,000-1 million?

I really don't think the inland northeast has much room to argue for being filled with large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City