Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:35 AM

257 posts, read 458,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

I don't have a problem with MD or DC being southern because I know it's not southern at all. DC has all of the characteristics of a northeastern city. Density, Large DT core, High Transportation numbers, Cosmopolitan, etc... I can go on and on instead of debating a lame who can only prove that DC is southern because McDonald's sells sweet tea and showing me a third grad map of the mason dixon line.

High-Speed Rail Corridor Descriptions
So just because D.C. is urban, dense, liberal, and has great infrstructure means it isn't southern???? Why can't D.C. be all of those things and still be southern? Whats wrong with the south? lol Trust and believe D.C. is more southern than northern. It lacks a lot of things NE cities have. Theres no ethnic white neighborhoods in D.C. AT ALL. Most Caucasians in MD are lily white whereas in New Jersey, New York, and points north its ethnic (Irish, Italian, Polish, etc...). People say you can't find good sweet tea in MD, sheeeeeit you needa go to southern PG county, southern MD, and the eastern shore. Hell I was by Iverson mall last week and say BBQ cookin on one of them big ass grills in a parking lot.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
This is what most of the eastside of the Anacostia River looks like and most of it is highly URBAN if anything
People are always cherrypicking photos to show how urban or not urban a particular place is. Those photos are not representative of the majority of Southeast DC. If I had to choose three photos that I thought were representative of Southeast on the other side of the Anacostia, I'd go with these:

A lot of this

http://www.seraajfh.com/Portals/0/Washington.jpg (broken link)

Some of this

A little of this

Old 01-13-2011, 08:52 AM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,061 times
Internal Breathing Fire

Quote:
First off, the first pic isn't even in D.C., theres no white people east of the river lol.
yea I acually didn't realize that until just now ... and there are Whites East of the River, but of course theres nowhere near as many whites as it is blacks on that side of town.... an to be honest though, East of the the Anacostia River really isn't but a small section of the City unless your talking about the whole SE & NE put together, but usually when ppl say east of the River they're only and specifically referring to Anocostia, SE as a whole and thats only but a small section of the city

Quote:
The sixth pic is Nationals Ballpark which is WEST of the river.
Classic Mix up... Google has everything mixed together these days

Quote:
None of this will change the fact that D.C. will forever and always be a southern city

According to what and whom??? you and the Mason DIXIE LINE LOL , which by the way looks like its about an half of an inch away from Maryland Take two steps upward and just like that your in the NORTH LOL.... WOW Maryland & DC sure is DOWN SOUTH LOL

Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times
Internal,

There isn't anything wrong with the south. But the things you listed (urban, density, liberalism) aren't really associated with southern cities. DC has some southern traits that have been passed down from AA's. Every northern city has it. Have you ever been to the southside of Chicago? Is Chicago southern? Hell no. What about Detroit or Philly? Whites and black in all cities are different. But Black culture is steady in every city. We share a lot of the same values, customs and traditions. I lived in Brooklyn as a young kid. My parents ate pig feet, grits, collard greens etc.. We listened to Al Green and Otis Redding. All black people did. Is Brooklyn southern? Southern is just a way of life. After I moved to DC, I saw that DC cats were just like Brooklyn cats. They just sounded different.

AA's in DC are what the Irish are to Boston. DC never had the poor white neighborhoods like Philly, Bmore and Boston because the city was raised on government and not industry. Almost all of NW DC was largely Jewish in the 50's. Coolidge, Cardozo, Rossevelt and Wilson were all white. But these Jews were rich. They owned all of the DT department stores and businesses in NW DC. Once AA started to integrate their neighborhoods, they moved to the burbs. Petworth was once all white.

BTW: Black people will bar-b-que where ever! I was in Minneapolis last summer and saw this dude that had converted the back of his pick up truck into a bar b que pit. He was driving down the street advertising his business. Is that southern?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:57 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,510 times
Very much a northern city with the exception of two geographic areas: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and Capitol Hill. Check whats on the menu at a particular moment in time in the above locations to get the best idea. If the food's cheap and deep fried: Southern. Expensive (but not to the politicians b/c its likely subsidised), organic, and exotic: Northern.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 AM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,071,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
People are always cherrypicking photos to show how urban or not urban a particular place is. Those photos are not representative of the majority of Southeast DC. If I had to choose three photos that I thought were representative of Southeast on the other side of the Anacostia, I'd go with these:

A lot of this

Some of this

A little of this

Well good for you, but I can do even better than that!!!

First Street SE, Washington DC
:Where you can even find Whites

Onyx Apartment First Street SE: You will even see whites there too

M Street SE, Washington DC
:
Where you can even Find Whites

140 L Street SE, Washington DC: Also another part of SE where Whites Live

^^^^ Well I assume that it is safe to say that you guys no nothing about this side of SE.... and with all the Gentrification going on it wont be long before 90% of the Neighborhoods in SE starts to look more like this .... wheather some of us like it or not it is going to happen one way or another!!!! Another thing that I would like to add is that Gentrification is not always a bad thing... just think of it as that they're giving our city a fresh start, which a lot of us could definitely use

Now for some of the Neighborhoods on the Southside that you guys are more familiar with !!!

Barry Farms:

Fendall Heights V street SE, Washington DC: Black Side

4452 B Street SE, Washington DC: Black side

Benning Hieghts SE, Washington DC
:
My old Neighborhood when I was a Kid

Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Quote:
Internal,

There isn't anything wrong with the south. But the things you listed (urban, density, liberalism) aren't really associated with southern cities. DC has some southern traits that have been passed down from AA's. Every northern city has it. Have you ever been to the southside of Chicago? Is Chicago southern? Hell no. What about Detroit or Philly? Whites and black in all cities are different. But Black culture is steady in every city. We share a lot of the same values, customs and traditions. I lived in Brooklyn as a young kid. My parents ate pig feet, grits, collard greens etc.. We listened to Al Green and Otis Redding. All black people did. Is Brooklyn southern? Southern is just a way of life. After I moved to DC, I saw that DC cats were just like Brooklyn cats. They just sounded different.

AA's in DC are what the Irish are to Boston. DC never had the poor white neighborhoods like Philly, Bmore and Boston because the city was raised on government and not industry. Almost all of NW DC was largely Jewish in the 50's. Coolidge, Cardozo, Rossevelt and Wilson were all white. But these Jews were rich. They owned all of the DT department stores and businesses in NW DC. Once AA started to integrate their neighborhoods, they moved to the burbs. Petworth was once all white.

BTW: Black people will bar-b-que where ever! I was in Minneapolis last summer and saw this dude that had converted the back of his pick up truck into a bar b que pit. He was driving down the street advertising his business. Is that southern?
Poor? Im pretty sure I wouldn't consider Philly's and Boston's white ethnic (Italian, Irish etc) populations poor. Say what you want but Bottom line DC is southern and thats a fact. DC doesn't have the strong irish, italian, puerto rican, jamaican, hatian, dominican etc populations and a ivy league school that you would find in the Northeast. In all, DC is a cool city and its not a bad thing that it is located in the south.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Hmmmm! Your analogies are borderline retarded. Seriously, Ivy League Schools? Harvard is not even in Boston. DC does have Georgetown and GW which are pretty close and along the likes of Boston College, Temple, UMASS, St. Joe's, St. John's, Villanova, Syracuse etc... all NORTHEAST SCHOOLS I might add. And your wrong, DC does have a strong jamaican, hatian, and trini population. Have you ever been to DC's Carnival? It kills Philly's Carnival. Oh, does Philly even have a noteworthy Carnival. Like I keep saying. You lames need to stop posting about sh*t you know nothing about. You are same lame who said Philly has a bigger nightlife scene than DC and Atlanta. And then a few posters had to tell you that people from Philly come to DC to party because Philly doesn't have top level clubs like DC. Pound some sand homey!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,445 times
Quote:
Hmmmm! Your analogies are borderline retarded. Seriously, Ivy League Schools? Harvard is not even in Boston. DC does have Georgetown and GW which are pretty close and along the likes of Boston College, Temple, UMASS, St. Joe's, St. John's, Villanova, Syracuse etc... all NORTHEAST SCHOOLS I might add. And your wrong, DC does have a strong jamaican, hatian, and trini population. Have you ever been to DC's Carnival? It kills Philly's Carnival. Oh, does Philly even have a noteworthy Carnival. Like I keep saying. You lames need to stop posting about sh*t you know nothing about. You are same lame who said Philly has a bigger nightlife scene than DC and Atlanta. And then a few posters had to tell you that people from Philly come to DC to party because Philly doesn't have top level clubs like DC. Pound some sand homey!
U MAD lol? Man you have no idea what you are talking about. If Im remembering this correctly I said that people from philly (a good amount) do not party in DC. Just because you saw a chartered bus go to a club in DC a # of years ago does not mean a good amount of people from Philly party there. I also said that IF anything people from Philly party in New York and AC occasionally because they are closer and they are more ideal party destinations than DC. Yes I also said that I prefer Philly's combination of clubs and bar scene over DC's because its more options and its more diverse. I didn't even say anything about Atl. Now back on subject, Bottom line Philly has a higher jamaican, hatian, dominican, puerto rican etc population than DC. I do admit that DC probably has a better carnival. Bottom line DC is historically southern and is considered southern by the GOVERNMENT!.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:43 AM

So the entire Federal Government says DC is in the south? I don't think so. The only agency I have seen on record is the U.S. Census Bureau categorizing DC in the southeast. The U.S. Department of Transportation places DC in the N.E. Corridor. Hmmmmm! Let me know if you need a link.

Philly is three times the size of DC so of course it has a higher population. WTF? What about population percentage? DC also has more Columbians, Nicaraguans, Salvadorians, Ethopians, Africans, etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City