Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a Northeast city?
Yes 240 65.22%
No 128 34.78%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:28 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times

Advertisements

^^^^^Right. These hillbillies want you to believe that there is some magical line you cross after you reach Maryland where the weather changes and everyone is sipping tea and picking cotton.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 PM

10,113 posts, read 9,979,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
So what Miami has lacking southern characteristics, Raleigh & NOVA has mid atlantic qualities but guess what its still in the south just like DC and Baltimore
What mid-atlantic qualities does raleigh have? I havent seen any.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
^^^^^Right. These hillbillies want you to believe that there is some magical line you cross after you reach Maryland where the weather changes and everyone is sipping tea and picking cotton.
Anyone that lives in a SOUTHERN straddling metro that sprawls all the way out to West Virginny, Front Royal and beyond should never label anyone as a hillbilly.

Go East, West and SOUTH of the Beltway every once and a while for a reality check on where you really live, and get over your denial.

So what if you actually live at the very edge of AND the beginning of the South? Does this fact actually diminish your quality of life in any way, or are you simply afraid that it damages your self-image somehow?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,398 times
Yes, D.C. is a Northeast city. It sure as hell is not a Southern City. Maybe D.C. has a little Southern flavor but overall it's a Northeast city. However, if you compare D.C. to New York then maybe D.C. feels like less of a Northeast city.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,370,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
Yes, D.C. is a Northeast city. It sure as hell is not a Southern City. Maybe D.C. has a little Southern flavor but overall it's a Northeast city. However, if you compare D.C. to New York then maybe D.C. feels like less of a Northeast city.
And just exactly how are you qualified to make this statement?

Have you ever BEEN to the D.C. area?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 PM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 590,398 times
Yep. I have been there. Maybe my Seattle/West Coast perspective is different and more unique. Personally it feels more Northeast than Southern to me. I have spent time in Memphis, Nashville, Savannah, Charleston, New Orleans, Little Rock, and other places in the South. So for me D.C. just feels more like the Northeast. Although I would say compared to New York that D.C. does have some Southern charm. So I guess overall I would say D.C. is a combo. It's part Southern and part Northern. Also, D.C. is very liberal. So that gives it more of a Northern and Northeast feel. Liberals do not make it feel Southern!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:34 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,547,174 times
To me D.C. is a true gateway. Little of column A, little of column B.

Though north of it does meld into Pennsylvanian/north-central Appalachian culture. But then, I think most of Maryland is northern.

But it's hard to really label the city as southern or northern. Being our nation's capital, it has people and culture from all over the country.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:33 AM

711 posts, read 1,144,290 times
I would imagine that folks view D.C the same way as they treat Maryland. And in my experience, Maryland is the state that neither side wants to claim. If you ask folks from South Carolina or Georgia, they will tell you that Maryland is part of the North /or because it's a "blue" state (i.e., it usually votes Democratic while southern states tend to vote Republican). If you ask folks from New York or Vermont, they probably tell you that Maryland is part of the South because it's south of the Mason-Dixon line and/or because it was a slave state.

Compared to the REAL cities of the Northeast, D.C is a bit more laid back. Compare D.C to say Philadelphia, New York City, or even Boston, the pace of life in D.C is fast compared to the southern cities, but it's a little slower and more laid-back compared to the large northeastern cities.

Personally, I view the area as firmly Mid-Atlantic, neither north nor south. But if I had to choose between north and south, I would call D.C a northeast city.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:01 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
DC is much more fast paced than Philly and Boston! Laid back is a term I would never describe DC as. You need to visit sometimes.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:23 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
I think the DC of the 1970-80s was undoubtedly a southern city. Most anyone who grew up there during that time would tell you that.

But the last 20 years or so have witnessed a dynamic change to the city, to the point where you really couldn't call it "southern" anymore. I honestly don't know what it is, but I do think that the city it compares most closely to is Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City