Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 PM

403 posts, read 1,394,623 times

Advertisements

To the chicago people:

You do know that skylines can be measured in TANGIBLE numbers, right? I'm so sick of your inferiority complex. Listen, you are a big city, you have one of the world's greatest skylines, but you're not nyc. making statments that manhattan doesnt have equal urban canyons only makes you sound like youve never been to new york. If I look down third ave downtown from the upper east its like an 8 mile canyon into midtown and downtown. 6th ave in midtown? I mean, really? This is REDICULOUS. Its either bigger or smaller, and chicago is smaller.

Last edited by adambos; 12-14-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Also if there is anyone else out there who has been to Columbia more than me but is it just me or does Columbia at least downtown Columbia die at like 10 30 11 O'clock
No, the downtown nightlife districts are the Vista and Five Points. You were in neither one.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:53 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Would this count as a mini Canyon? Either way, this is a street in the North End looking towards downtown...

I took this this past summer while getting some lunch...looking back at my office building

Itty-bitty canyon on Beacon Hill

Quick shot looking towards Downtown Crossing from the Park Street Station

Old 12-14-2009, 12:58 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
very charming Boston pics.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks

Old 12-14-2009, 01:11 PM

184 posts, read 571,567 times
Wow, those Chicago pictures are great. I am so proud of the City of Chicago.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:14 PM

184 posts, read 571,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
To the chicago people:

You do know that skylines can be measured in TANGIBLE numbers, right? I'm so sick of your inferiority complex. Listen, you are a big city, you have one of the world's greatest skylines, but you're not nyc. making statments that manhattan doesnt have equal urban canyons only makes you sound like youve never been to new york. If I look down third ave downtown from the upper east its like an 8 mile canyon into midtown and downtown. 6th ave in midtown? I mean, really? This is REDICULOUS. Its either bigger or smaller, and chicago is smaller.

Wow, statements like this shows how much you doubt that Chicago's can compete in the urban level with any city including New York. If you were so sure about New York being more urban than Chicago, those comments aren't necessary. But as the old saying goes, "the truth hurts".

Old 12-14-2009, 01:27 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmario_88 View Post
Wow, statements like this shows how much you doubt that Chicago's can compete in the urban level with any city including New York. If you were so sure about New York being more urban than Chicago, those comments aren't necessary. But as the old saying goes, "the truth hurts".
The "truth" is that New York has more high rise towers and longer urban canyons. Of course the other poster is going to get annoyed if you make statements and claims of epic proportions and don't back them up with any evidence. While I think the other guy should take it easy and let the evidence do the arguing, the prodding (i.e. "the truth hurts") is unnecessary.

Chicago's a great city and it does have some impressive walls of highrises, I've seen both cities enough to say that New York's (again, Manhattan) is just so much larger. The difference is that Manhattan's Canyons extend far beyond the central commercial district deep into the residential areas. Chicago's fades slowly as you leave the core of the city. If you need visual proof of all of this, look no further than google street view. THIS is just a simple snapshot from Broadway at 42nd (Times Square) in New York. Look in any direction and the Canyons seem to stretch forever. No city gives you a sense of being contained among urban canyons the way New York does.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The "truth" is that New York has more high rise towers and longer urban canyons. Of course the other poster is going to get annoyed if you make statements and claims of epic proportions and don't back them up with any evidence. While I think the other guy should take it easy and let the evidence do the arguing, the prodding (i.e. "the truth hurts") is unnecessary.

Chicago's a great city and it does have some impressive walls of highrises, I've seen both cities enough to say that New York's (again, Manhattan) is just so much larger. The difference is that Manhattan's Canyons extend far beyond the central commercial district deep into the residential areas. Chicago's fades slowly as you leave the core of the city. If you need visual proof of all of this, look no further than google street view. THIS is just a simple snapshot from Broadway at 42nd (Times Square) in New York. Look in any direction and the Canyons seem to stretch forever. No city gives you a sense of being contained among urban canyons the way New York does.
New York's canyons are also amazing because it has both the Gridded Canyons that are featured in Chicago and the Chaotic Canyons found in Boston...in both cases New York's Midtown is bigger than Chicago's skyline, and Lower Manhattan dwarfs Boston's financial district.

New York simply can't be beat in this department.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:36 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
New York's canyons are also amazing because it has both the Gridded Canyons that are featured in Chicago and the Chaotic Canyons found in Boston...in both cases New York's Midtown is bigger than Chicago's skyline, and Lower Manhattan dwarfs Boston's financial district.

New York simply can't be beat in this department.
I agree. It's funny, I was thinking about that too (the lower Manhattan/Boston Financial District Comparison). Manhattan of course wins by a long shot. I would even go as far as to say that Boston's Financial District is enhanced by the chaotic canyon. The curves make it appear as if it could go on forever when in reality, it doesn't.

The hills enhance San Francisco's. It's such a cool city. Unfortunately, I lost my camera on the plane (i left it in the seatback pocket) so all I have is some crappy iPhone snapshots, but The way the hills change the perspective is quite impressive.

But you're right, even though cities like Chicago, SF, Boston, Philly, Atlanta, etc all have some great canyons, New York is tops in terms of the sheer mass and abundance of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City