Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 06:58 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times

Advertisements

How I see it:

Upper South: Kentucky, Virginia, Southern West Virginia, Southern tip of Illinois.

Mid South: Southern bits of Missouri (like the bootheel), northern Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina.

Deep South: Southern Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, northern Florida.

Frontier or Western South: Texas, Oklahoma.

Southern Florida is it's own region of the south. And technically so is Cajun Louisiana.

States I consider northeastern and not southern: Maryland, Delaware, northern West Virginia (part of northern Appalachia IMHO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I see it as deep south, new south and appalachian south. The new south is aggresively business oriented and strives to better itself. Think Nashville, Huntsville, Atlanta, I-85 corridor, RTP, NoVA.

The deep south and appalachian south are more laid back and slower paced but very different from each other culturally. Texas includes some of the deep and new south, but I tend to think of it as a place and culture unto itself.
And the Baltimore area and the Maryland/DC Suburbs......

Old 02-27-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
How I see it:

Upper South: Kentucky, Virginia, Southern West Virginia, Southern tip of Illinois.

Mid South: Southern bits of Missouri (like the bootheel), northern Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina.

Deep South: Southern Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, northern Florida.

Frontier or Western South: Texas, Oklahoma.

Southern Florida is it's own region of the south. And technically so is Cajun Louisiana.

States I consider northeastern and not southern: Maryland, Delaware, northern West Virginia (part of northern Appalachia IMHO).
And your opinion will NEVER EVER Take away from the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State...

You people will never learn to let it go and accept the FACT that MARYLAND IS IN THE SOUTH.......

DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
The Upper South is most of West Virginia (mainly below U.S. 50), Kentucky, Virginia outside of the D.C. suburbs and where it touches Maryland and WV to the west and northwest of there, and parts of southern Missouri. The Mid-South is Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina. Oklahoma and Texas are both the "Western South," much as the rest of the Great Plains states to the north are the Western Midwest. The Deep South includes Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina. Florida at one time was part of the Deep South, but its culture has now been diluted to such a point that only Northern Florida really meets the definition. South Florida is a cultural hybrid of the south, the north (since many northerners live there in the winter), and the Caribbean. I would never consider Florida not southern simply because to call it northern is like calling Minnesota southern.
From the Maryland/Pennsylvania Line is where the South begins....

Also Maryland stretches at least 50 miles south of the DC area........

Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And your opinion will NEVER EVER Take away from the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State...

You people will never learn to let it go and accept the FACT that MARYLAND IS IN THE SOUTH.......

DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!
Nope. No matter how much you want it to be.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Nope. No matter how much you want it to be.
I get tired of the guy's rambling, but he does have a point. The primary officially recognized authority when it comes to regional designations is the U.S. Census Bureau which places Maryland in the South and historically it was always recognized as being Southern. Culture is one thing but geography is another. Maryland is still IN the South but isn't so culturally Southern anymore, unless one wants to argue that cultural shifts dictate geographical designations--in which case at some point a very wide swath of the South won't even be considered "the South" anymore in the future.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I get tired of the guy's rambling, but he does have a point. The primary officially recognized authority when it comes to regional designations is the U.S. Census Bureau which places Maryland in the South and historically it was always recognized as being Southern. Culture is one thing but geography is another. Maryland is still IN the South but isn't so culturally Southern anymore, unless one wants to argue that cultural shifts dictate geographical designations--in which case at some point a very wide swath of the South won't even be considered "the South" anymore in the future.
I personally don't even understand how it's geographically southern.

It's closer to Maine than Florida. The forestry is of northern styles (look at the pine trees for corn's sake! They are northern). It snows there.

AND it was a Union state.

And then it's neighbor Delaware is excluded my the Mason Dixon itself. And has even LESS business calling itself southern.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:

It's closer to Maine than Florida. The forestry is of northern styles (look at the pine trees for corn's sake! They are northern). It snows there.

And then it's neighbor Delaware is excluded my the Mason Dixon itself. And has even LESS business calling itself southern.
All of this just shows how diverse and non-monolithic the South is. Kentucky wasn't in the Confederacy and the most populous parts of the state are closer to Wisconsin than Florida. The climate is different from that of Louisiana. Historically it was definitely aligned with the South culturally and was a slave state. There were definitely reasons for including it in the South historically.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All of this just shows how diverse and non-monolithic the South is. Kentucky wasn't in the Confederacy and the most populous parts of the state are closer to Wisconsin than Florida. The climate is different from that of Louisiana. Historically it was definitely aligned with the South culturally and was a slave state. There were definitely reasons for including it in the South historically.
Historically I suppose.

But when I see snow or Christmas shaped Pine trees I feel like I am certainly in the north.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:

It's closer to Maine than Florida.
Not good enough excuse.

Quote:
The forestry is of northern styles (look at the pine trees for corn's sake! They are northern).
Just from that comment alone tells me that you have Never been to the state of Maryland......

Quote:
It snows there.
It snows in North Carolina and Virginia.....

Quote:
Based on Opinion.......

Quote:
Take a trip to Dover and points south along the DelMarVa.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City