Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the South really the best place for an Indian to be?
Yes, it isn't as bad as the stereotypes claim it to be, come on or go on down partna! 21 55.26%
Just your experience, maybe you were in the wrong part of the Northeast. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 PM

803 posts, read 1,266,996 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I just returned from a thanksgiving break trip to New Jersey. I went to visit my relatives who recently moved there like 6 months ago and I asked how they like it. My cousins (who moved from North Carolina) said that they miss North Carolina and how open minded the people there were and already in New Jersey they caught racial slurs from some Italian kids who called them "sand (n word)s with a hick accent".

Basically they said they were not used to such open racism that they received in Jersey and the town they live in is rich, though mostly White. Then again when they were in North Carolina the area they lived in was mostly White too and they made a lot of White friends and friends from all backgrounds.

They said Jersey is so unbelievably segregated and the Whites there do not want anything to do with anyone except for maybe East Asians and that is it. I received a lot of rude and nasty looks from the White residents there and basically CRUSHED my belief that the Northeast was a generally more tolerant place.

Now two southern states (SC and LA) have Indian governors, personally I have not even known of the Indian smell like curry stereotypes down here and most people here are really open minded. I have rarely encountered any racism in the so called "racist stronghold", the racism I did encountered was oddly enough from people who came here from other areas.

Your views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 08:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,181,708 times
Why is this so important to you? Every thread you have made has been about indians and biracial dating.

The south is the last place any race wants to live.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,320,602 times
I dont know how it is in Jersey but I somewhat agree with your cousins. NC is still southern but not backwards. I dont know but Seems like you have some unfortunate encounters with alot of racists!!
mas23

Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM

27,623 posts, read 28,723,867 times
You need to come to the Washington DC metro area. I want to hear your experiences with people's attitudes towards east indians here.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:31 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,984,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Why is this so important to you? Every thread you have made has been about indians and biracial dating.

The south is the last place any race wants to live.
lol, although I am with you on that every thread he makes is about race, don't forget that the south is where a plurality of the races want to be. So you are far off when you say it is the last place any race wants to be, it seems like the top place to me

It is a given that the south is the most populated region in the US.

109 Million people prefer to live in the South than living in the west

as of 2006:
South 109M
NE 55M
West 69M
Midwest 66M

definitely seems like the place to be to me.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,829,314 times
NJ has more indians than any other state (Middlesex County- Edison/Iselin/Woodbridge)- They're really common around NNJ in general, one of my best friends is actually Indian (I'm Italian, coincidentally) Jersey city is also the most diverse city per square mile, which also have a thriving "little India" section. The state of NJ is the most ethnically diverse states per square mile, actually (segregated to an extent, but every state is, really)- I didn't deal with much racism growing up, but I can't say it's an issue in NJ (because it is)

I want to call BS because your pulling the stereotypical "Obnoxious Italians" card because it "suites" NJ- But I won't. IDK, I guess your family had bad luck- What part was this?

I think you're just to into the fact that you're Indian. (judging by your other posts)

Old 12-01-2010, 08:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,181,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, although I am with you on that every thread he makes is about race, don't forget that the south is where a plurality of the races want to be. So you are far off when you say it is the last place any race wants to be, it seems like the top place to me

It is a given that the south is the most populated region in the US.

109 Million people prefer to live in the South than living in the west

as of 2006:
South 109M
NE 55M
West 69M
Midwest 66M

definitely seems like the place to be to me.
There is a lot of murder and racism in the south. Blacks and whites live in the south. If you are indian, asian, or mexican/spanish, then I would stay out of the south personally. The south is still VERY backwards.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,069,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
There is a lot of murder and racism in the south. Blacks and whites live in the south. If you are indian, asian, or mexican/spanish, then I would stay out of the south personally. The south is still VERY backwards.
I am Asian, and I haven't ever had any act of racism or anything conducted towards me at all. In fact this city I live in is like the 7th largest Asian community in the USA.

Then again I live in a big city here in Texas. So I cant speak on the small towns and stuff. So you may be right about those.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You need to come to the Washington DC metro area. I want to hear your experiences with people's attitudes towards east indians here.
Been to DC, nice and warm people there!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
NJ has more indians than any other state (Middlesex County- Edison/Iselin/Woodbridge)- They're really common around NNJ in general, one of my best friends is actually Indian (I'm Italian, coincidentally) Jersey city is also the most diverse city per square mile, which also have a thriving "little India" section. The state of NJ is the most ethnically diverse states per square mile, actually (segregated to an extent, but every state is, really)- I didn't deal with much racism growing up, but I can't say it's an issue in NJ (because it is)

I want to call BS because your pulling the stereotypical "Obnoxious Italians" card because it "suites" NJ- But I won't. IDK, I guess your family had bad luck- What part was this?

I think you're just to into the fact that you're Indian. (judging by your other posts)
Arizona has a lot of Hispanics but remember what happened when they tried the racial profiling act?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City