Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the South really the best place for an Indian to be?
Yes, it isn't as bad as the stereotypes claim it to be, come on or go on down partna! 21 55.26%
Just your experience, maybe you were in the wrong part of the Northeast. 17 44.74%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 10:28 PM

17 posts, read 24,037 times

Advertisements

I am East Indian and lived in NYC before I moved to the South. I live half a day away from Florida and love being here.

Yes it's great to be in the city. I liked that I didn't need to own a car and could hop on the subway at any time and the opportunity for me to stay intact with my culture was more prevalent than anywhere I had lived ..including home! Music, Food, Concerts, Ethnic wear were at my disposal.

However, my decision to move out of the city was one of the better ones I have made in life. Even though I had a true sense of home I felt that I was in a rut and only knew of my culture because of the large east-indian community. Diversity does not breed tolerance. I never felt like a victim of prejudice because I didn't dare step outside of my comfort zone to learn about other people. There was too much in my own culture to be involved in.

I love my life here because I have had the opportunity to grow as a person. Not just as an East-Indian. It took me a very long time to get used to the 'southern hospitality' of everyone, talking to a stranger can potentially render you a 'headline' in NYC. I have a true sense of diversity now. Apart from the great weather, people here are warm and inviting and there is so much to do. Of course people everywhere have their prejudices but most I have met here are progressive and open-minded. Most of my Caucasian friends cook their own curries and come to me for advice! I do school on them on why curries need to be cooked outdoors (case in point ..the smell? when living in an apartment in the city make sure you open windows and close all doors into closets/bedrooms. Ffebreeze is your friend people). It's a lot easier to cook outdoors when you live in the south.

The standard of living and quality of life does it for me. I can make less money here and live better than I ever did in NYC. I own my home, have a great job and feel safe and secure being a single mom with an 11 year old girl. I don't have to worry about random crimes or parking tickets, have never had so much as a break-in in my neighborhood. There are rarely ever any sirens going off and you know when you hear one it's a serious deal, lots of fresh air and the cost of living is definitely affordable.

The police here do a great job and have shown up at my house in under two minutes after accidentally tripping off my 'unnecessary' burglar alarm. I like that I know my officers and can rely on them.

I feel that this place IS my home and have no desire to move. The south is it for me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
diverse for some, not for me. That place is scary to me. all the way up to LA
*Defriending*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
and obviously our backwards education system is headed in the right direction, since we're learning how to spell words correctly. it's "there are", by the way
SOME PEOPLE HAVE FU*KING LEARNING DISABILITIES!!!!!!!!!! OBVIOUSLY THEY DIDN'T TEACH TOLERANCE IN THE SOUTH!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
if Texas is so diverse why do they want to go back to the confederacy? I don't get it.
The retarded Governor is not Texas. He does not speak for me and most Texans on this.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Quote:
*Defriending*

SOME PEOPLE HAVE FU*KING LEARNING DISABILITIES!!!!!!!!!! OBVIOUSLY THEY DIDN'T TEACH TOLERANCE IN THE SOUTH!
Carefull, your lack of tolerance is showing.

Also did you know Houston was the largest city in the US to elect a gay (well actually lesbian) mayor?

Also Dallas County has a lesbian sheriff.

Oh, and I voted for Obama as well. How backwards of me.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,848,066 times
Quote:
well if you weren't being disrespectful, maybe people wouldn't reply in a similar tone

Old 12-01-2010, 10:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
*Defriending*
lol, go ahead. I will survive

EDIT: Thanks to all the people sending reps, it helps me recover from the heartbreak of Footballfreak defriending me. LMAO

Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
I was saying there isn't as many Asians in the south. and not as many hispanics in the south outside of Miami
You are VERY wrong.

Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Corpus, El Paso, Amarillo, & McAllen are full of Hispanics.

Houston, Dallas, & Austin are filled with Asians.

Houston & Dallas have two of the largest Indian populations in the US.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:27 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You are VERY wrong.

Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Corpus, El Paso, Amarillo, & McAllen are full of Hispanics.

Houston, Dallas, & Austin are filled with Asians.
Don't forget there is more to the South than Texas. We aren't short of any of the above here, either.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
There are 2.2 Million Hispanics in Houston. The ENTIRE city gets a bad rap for illegals and Mexicans and stuff all day long. And when its convenient, all of a sudden those Hispanics don't exist anymore?

And no, not all the Hispanics in Houston are "Mexican", it has the largest Central American populations in the South along with Miami.
Exactly

Houston has a large Salvadorian population as well as a sizeable Puerto Rican & Cuban populations.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The retarded Governor is not Texas. He does not speak for me and most Texans on this.
He certainly speaks for most Texans, he is governor in a representative democracy, on his 4th term no less and succeeded the great one Bush, which he was Bush's lieutenant governor... Liberal pocket or not, you are still in Texas and are subject to any laws they decide to make in your state. This is the issue many have, once you get out of these pockets...uhmmmmmmm yeh. Just for example it took the supreme court to get rid of Texas misdemeanor against homosexual acts just 7 years ago. Lawrence v. Texas for instance.

Police in Texas found two gay men engaging in private sexual activity in the apartment of one of the men. They were arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for what the law calls "deviate sexual intercourse." Texas is one of four contiguous states which criminalize certain sexual activities by same-sex couples which are legal when performed by a man and women. The other states are: Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma. The men were found guilty at trial. Their case worked its way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which accepted the task of ruling whether heterosexuals will continue to enjoy special sexual rights in these states which are denied homosexuals.
"Harvard Professor Laurence Tribe cryptically pointed out, the key question, he argues, should be 'not what were Lawrence and his partner doing in that bedroom, but what was Texas doing there?' " 12
On 2003-JUN-26, the U.S. Supreme Court found that the Texas law is unconstitutional.

Last edited by grapico; 12-02-2010 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City