Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Historically I suppose.

But when I see snow or Christmas shaped Pine trees I feel like I am certainly in the north.
If we're gonna based that comment on judging regional geography then North Carolina is a Northern State.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Nope. No matter how much you want it to be.
No matter how much you dislike the state of Maryland, your opinion does not dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State........

It is what it is........

Old 02-28-2012, 11:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
No matter how much you dislike the state of Maryland, your opinion does not dictate against the FACT that Maryland is a Southern State........

It is what it is........
...so is Los Angeles.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I get tired of the guy's rambling, but he does have a point. The primary officially recognized authority when it comes to regional designations is the U.S. Census Bureau which places Maryland in the South and historically it was always recognized as being Southern. Culture is one thing but geography is another. Maryland is still IN the South but isn't so culturally Southern anymore, unless one wants to argue that cultural shifts dictate geographical designations--in which case at some point a very wide swath of the South won't even be considered "the South" anymore in the future.
If it takes all that explaining it's certainly not southern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Historically I suppose.

But when I see snow or Christmas shaped Pine trees I feel like I am certainly in the north.
It snows in Dallas. It snows in Shreveport too. Nothing like Maryland though.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
I thinks it comes down to feel. I know people on this site wont agree because they can't find little charts and surveys, or other BS data, but it basically comes down to if a place feels southern. Baltimore definitely does NOT feel southern, neither does DC.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:11 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
I take it a step further:

• "Texas" South: It's own distinct culture and attitude, but with many southern attributes. "In the South but not of the South" was how I read it by a Texas forum poster a long time ago.
  • "Plains/Lower Midwest" South: Not entirely of the South, but with many Southern attributes. They didn't have active roles in the Confederacy. Even some twangs. Examples:
    • Oklahoma
    • Southernmost 30 miles of Missouri and the boot heel (the Confederate exception)
    • Southernmost 15-20 miles of Illinois
Indiana and Ohio do not count. Not even Evansville and Cincinnati have enough Southern attributes to wash out their "Midwestern-ness.
  • Upper South:
    • Kentucky (sans Louisville and N. KY)
    • Southernmost 50 miles of West Virginia
    • Southern 2/3 of Virginia
    • Northern 3/4 of North Carolina
  • Mid-South:
    • Arkansas
    • Tennessee
    • The rest of North Carolina
    • Northern 1/4 of Georgia
    • Northern 1/4 of Alabama
    • Northern 1/4 of Mississippi
  • Deep South:
    • South Carolina
    • The rest of Georgia
    • The rest of Alabama
    • The rest of Mississippi
    • Louisiana
    • Northern 1/5 of Florida, plus some scattered inland small towns
The rest of Florida has basically become a relocation tank for every place else on Earth. So, I don't count it as being "Southern."

Most of the northern rest of Virginia and northern rest of West Virginia have their own things going on culturally. Not quite South, not 100% Appalachia, but not nearly Mid-Atlantic or Northeastern. Just kinda...there. Urbanized/suburbanized NoVA, however, is plain ol' Northeastern these days. In Kentucky, Louisville and Northern Kentucky are strange Southern/Midwestern hybrids but are majoritatively Midwestern, enough to not be classified as Southern, IMO.

Maryland and Delaware don't count. Maybe their southernmost beach towns were heavily Southern influenced 50 years ago, but folks from farther northeast seem to have really influenced both states culturally now.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:22 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Texas is a state, and not a monolithic region. The sooner people realize that, the better.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
I have another spin to all this. In the deep south states of Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina, couldnt it be argued that extreme Northern GA, extreme Northern Alabama and some of the upcountry in SC are really more a part of the "upper south" than the deep south??? I'm pretty sure places like Rabun County, Towns County, White County and Union County in Northern Georgia have more in common with Eastern Kentucky, Western NC and even West Virgnia than then do with Albany, Macon, or Milledgeville.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:01 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
If it takes all that explaining it's certainly not southern.
Then by that line of reasoning, Texas sure as hell ain't Southern because no other state's "Southernness" is extensively explained on here as your own state's. You could probably throw VA and FL in there as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Then by that line of reasoning, Texas sure as hell ain't Southern because no other state's "Southernness" is extensively explained on here as your own state's. You could probably throw VA and FL in there as well.
My own state is Louisiana. I'm NOT a Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City