Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:42 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
San Francisco without a doubt. Beauty, charm, cable cars, hills, downtown shopping and Union Square, the ocean, SF bay at your feet. No sweltering summer heat and humidity.
I agree, but be fair,winter can get cool,dismal,foggy and rainy.

Philadelphia can get pretty sweltering(nothing like Florida),but has nice days too. And winter can bring snow...but usually not a lot....."we" go skiing in the Poconos where there is lots of snow.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:44 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,499,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Winter in Philadelphia is a blistering freezer compared to San Francisco-which is very mild by comparison.

And as far as rain, Philly summers are far wetter than SF winters.

Quote:
Philadelphia can get pretty sweltering(nothing like Florida),but has nice days too. And winter can bring snow...but usually not a lot....."we" go skiing in the Poconos where there is lots of snow.
We go skiing in the Sierras, which hosted a Winter Olympics. Lake Tahoe has no peer in the east.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:03 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,453 times
Quote:

Yea winters in SF are not that awesome but you have to admit it doesn't even compare to East Coast winters. If the weather is crappy in SF all one needs to do is cross the bridge over to the East Bay and the temp increases by at least 10-20 degs and problem solved. The Bay Area has many microclimates.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:07 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,520,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Yea winters in SF are not that awesome but you have to admit it doesn't even compare to East Coast winters. If the weather is crappy in SF all one needs to do is cross the bridge over to the East Bay and the temp increases by at least 10-20 degs and problem solved. The Bay Area has many microclimates.
The valleys in Pa have microclimates too...but most of Philadelphia is flat....but it does not get as cold as people think..and snowfall is usually low...but there have been some big ones; there's nothing like playing in the snow, sledding..skiing..ice skating..snowball fights...it's what you make of it.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,453 times
Quote:
The valleys in Pa have microclimates too...but most of Philadelphia is flat....but it does not get as cold as people think..and snowfall is usually low...but there have been some big ones; there's nothing like playing in the snow, sledding..skiing..ice skating..snowball fights...it's what you make of it.
Yea not really a big fan of snow ha. I find anything under 60 freezing. What can I say I am a California brat when it comes to weather . Last January we had a heat wave and I kid you not it was 75 deg in the middle of January (not sure if that's a good thing lol)....I spent the day the beach as anyone should on a warm January day lol.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,573,827 times
I have to give kudos to San Francisco for a beautiful city,the most beautiful and unique city in the United States.I love your Napa Valley Region and Fisherman's Wharf along with Nob Hill just to name a few.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:16 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
Still no acknowledgement that San Francisco metro should clealry be 7.5 million? Does that satellite image not clarify it?

Its absurd to say San Francisco and San Jose are not part of the same metro area: they are separated by 50 miles of unfettered urban development, they are connected by the Caltrain commuter rail, they share media, etc...
Yep, all the news stations represent SF-OAK-SJ. You don't see a news station repping NYC-Philly-DC so they should get off the whole megalopolis point when comparing it to the Bay Area.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I have no problem with a San Jose native travelling abroad and telling people that they're from San Francisco (the Bay). It's no different from a person from the OC saying that they're from LA.

I have a hard time believing a Philly native could travel abroad and do the same, calling themselves "New Yorkers".

That would be a flat out lie, almost ludicrous.
The bolded, I remember my dad doing this when we would go on vaction when I was a kid.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Yep, all the news stations represent SF-OAK-SJ. You don't see a news station repping NYC-Philly-DC so they should get off the whole megalopolis point when comparing it to the Bay Area.

You can have your independence and be part of a greater intra-regional soceity. 30 M people between NYC and Philly which is roughly the same distance as the N-S points of the Bay Area(7 M people).

Philadelphia MSA population + GDP > SF-OAK-Fremont MSA population + GDP.

Philadlephia plus its micro areas(Trenton/Vineland/etc) = population and GDP of entire Bay Area.

Philadelphia abuts NYC cmsa to the N and Wash-Bal cmsa to the south which limits its GDP. Bay area abuts the Pacific Ocean and Sacramento.

Philadelphias regional pull is larger than the Bay Area despite the fact that it abuts the largest media market in the world. TV Market's are probably the best barometer of the strength a core has on its region. Philadlephia TV Market is enormous, it spans from the southern tip of NJ up to the Pocono Mts, parts of MD, all of De and out to the Amish hills.

PDF of the largest 200 TV markets in the usa

Number of households
#4- Phil 2,950,220
#6- SF-OAK-SJ 2,476,450

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/...-dma-ranks.pdf

Old 08-30-2009, 11:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,212,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
That and foriegn investors snatch up almost anything that comes available. SOOOO, while even immediate suburbs like Alameda can be suffering the City has had no real effect.
Very true. Even the most tenacious of Philly supporters could deny that the city of SF isn't overall in better shape than the city of Philly. One could argue that cumulatively Philly may a greater collection of assets given its 3x the size of SF.

Now regionally speaking you could make a case that the Philadlephia region is much more livable and has a greater QOL for a greater % of its populace.

The Bay Area seems to have alot of true icons with the immediate coast,Bay,mts. etc and I'm sure the top end of the food chain lives extremely well. On the otherhand the Philly area settles in the Piedmont of rolling hills,lush valleys, streams, continuous forest and the Jersey Shore is a 1/2 hr -2 hr drive for its 5.8 M metro..

I'm not saying one is better than the other, its very subjective but there will be those who prefer the Philadlephia regions consistently pleasant setting as opposed to The Bay Areas highs +lows

Lake Nockamixon- Doylestown Pa

Valley Forge Pa- Where the revolutionary comeback began. 20 minutes from downtown Philly.

Chester Springs PA-

Washington Crossing Pa

Ocean City Nj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City