Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
I have no problem with a San Jose native travelling abroad and telling people that they're from San Francisco (the Bay). It's no different from a person from the OC saying that they're from LA.

I have a hard time believing a Philly native could travel abroad and do the same, calling themselves "New Yorkers".

That would be a flat out lie, almost ludicrous.
Ummm.....News Flash! We are NOT New Yorkers, I'm from West Philly baby "All day long" It'll never stop!!

I don't know anyone who claims to be from NYC when we're not even though lots of have family up there & we visit eachother a lot.

I did a study for my final grade in HS back in 1985 & the Philly Metro was a little over 9m & included Trenton, Chester PA, etc; I guess that's must've changed ( dunno) but who cares? (LOL)

I really like the Bay Area, ever since I moved to LA people will tell me that I'd love the Bay Area because it's a little more cultured than LA & I think it is.
SF reminds me of a smaller version of Philly i.e. Close together homes, palm trees, bridges going over a body of water. (LOL)

I love the wharf with all of the sea food spots, I love the music scene, I've been going up for the past few years when the Eagles play the 49ers, I'll be going for the Eagles-Radiers game in Oct. This time I'll stay for more than a weekend.

So as for the other junk I don't care about, most of us Philadelphians KNOW who WE ARE & don't need to ride anytown's coat tails, Philly's an amazing city in it's own right, & people tell me all the time how much they like it or they may associate it with NYC & I can understand why cause they're so close together & have a few simalarities...

For me it's not a bad thing to be in a 1hour radius of the americas top city..

Old 08-31-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
San Francisco is a million times more sophisticated than Philly. It should win, hands down.
Really Wally, Me thinks San Fran is a Ga Bill Yun, Ba zill yun, times betta then the Philly.....

Well I don kno Beeeve, I think we shood ask mom & dad bout that wun..

Old 08-31-2009, 01:16 PM

672 posts, read 1,788,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Not that I think this is pertinent to the overall discussion -- because honestly, we're really splitting hairs here -- but I felt the need to jump in and clear up some confusion.

The income measures here are comparing apples to oranges. 18Montclair is citing per capita income numbers, which are not really that indicative of overall wealth -- a couple of highly affluent CEOs can really inflate those numbers and certainly explains the astronomically high per capita wealth in an area as CEO-laden as suburban SF. Are you really willing to claim that the average working individual in Marin County has an income of $91,483? I find that a bit hard to believe. Per capita income is interesting in terms of finding out where the REALLY rich people reside -- but again, it really does not say much about the average Joe who lives/works there.

What rainrock cited was median household income figures, which gives a much better picture of overall wealth. Using his figures, 50% of households make above $83,910 and 50% below that in Marin County. That figure is only negligibly higher than Chester County's median household income of $82,979 and certainly falls within the margin of error.

Both are, without a doubt, among the most affluent counties in the country, however, as they are both far above the US median HH income of $50,740.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
My apologies. I agree that things, especially income, should be compared apples to apples.

Now if we could only come to a consensus that the entire Bay Area vs Philadelphia Metro is apples to apples as well, we might just be able to all get along.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
WTF?? Dude, who cares? You're responding to someone who isn't even a member anymore about something that wasn't even attempting to connect to what the thread was supposed to be about. Go to sleep.

I thought it was funny & my assesment was on point. So obviously YOU CARE dude.. ..

Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
Ummm.....News Flash! We are NOT New Yorkers, I'm from West Philly baby "All day long" It'll never stop!!

I don't know anyone who claims to be from NYC when we're not even though lots of have family up there & we visit eachother a lot.

So as for the other junk I don't care about, most of us Philadelphians KNOW who WE ARE & don't need to ride anytown's coat tails, Philly's an amazing city in it's own right, & people tell me all the time how much they like it or they may associate it with NYC & I can understand why cause they're so close together & have a few simalarities...

Uhh news flash! You just used 4 short paragraphs to say that you agree with the poster you responded to without realizing it lol. That was exactly his point. Philly has too much of its own identity for anyone from there to claim to be a New Yorker, unlike SJ or its surrounding suburbs that are all part of the SF metro region and often identify as being "from SF" when talking to outsiders. That was the whole point, so you're actually on the logical side of the argument here although I think you misunderstood what you were responding to.

Quote:
Really Wally, Me thinks San Fran is a Ga Bill Yun, Ba zill yun, times betta then the Philly.....

Well I don kno Beeeve, I think we shood ask mom & dad bout that wun..
lol

Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
Maybe we could create a new thread for discussions on the formal boundries of MSAs. People seems to be pretty wound up over the topic.

It looks like the results from the completely meaningless pole are pretty clear. People prefer SF. That is not really a surprise. SF is a romanticized city, while, opinions on Philly are mixed.

IMO, Philly is one of the more underrated cities. But, as I said earlier I couldn’t place it above SF.

However, in the real world I could see Philly as a better fit. SF maybe nice, but it is unaffordable to most people.

One could find a descent apartment in Center City, for the same price as a broken-down place in the SF suburbs.

Faced with that choice, I could see going w/ Philly.
A well written post and fair presentation.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Just to **** off some forumers here, the UC Census Bureau counts Santa Cruz and San Benito counties as part of the Bay Area. Have fun sleeping at night.
Is the UC census bureau in Canada

Old 08-31-2009, 04:49 PM

593 posts, read 1,761,647 times
Its interesting, because even though Philly proper has a larger population than SF and is much bigger in area, SF *feels* like the bigger city. Downtown feels more urban and cosmopolitan, and the inner neighborhoods are a lot more dense and have more of a "city feel" than Philly.

Perhaps its because SF has a larger metro area, or because its "landlocked" nature has forced denser development.

Philly is definitely grittier, though, without a doubt, and there is something to be said for that (I mean that in a positive way)...

Quote:

I did a study for my final grade in HS back in 1985 & the Philly Metro was a little over 9m & included Trenton, Chester PA, etc; I guess that's must've changed ( dunno) but who cares? (LOL)

I really like the Bay Area, ever since I moved to LA people will tell me that I'd love the Bay Area because it's a little more cultured than LA & I think it is.
SF reminds me of a smaller version of Philly i.e. Close together homes, palm trees, bridges going over a body of water. (LOL)

I love the wharf with all of the sea food spots, I love the music scene, I've been going up for the past few years when the Eagles play the 49ers, I'll be going for the Eagles-Radiers game in Oct. This time I'll stay for more than a weekend.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroJimmy2 View Post
Its interesting, because even though Philly proper has a larger population than SF and is much bigger in area, SF *feels* like the bigger city. Downtown feels more urban and cosmopolitan, and the inner neighborhoods are a lot more dense and have more of a "city feel" than Philly.

Perhaps its because SF has a larger metro area, or because its "landlocked" nature has forced denser development.

Philly is definitely grittier, though, without a doubt, and there is something to be said for that (I mean that in a positive way)...
Thanks for participating in the thread.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:30 PM

250 posts, read 246,123 times
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin west philadelphia, born n raised on the playground is where i spent most of my days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City