Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
IMO suburbs are all the same across the country-bland, insular and anything but diverse.
That's an ignorant thing to say, and I'm sure there are many people who live in suburbs that have character and stand out from their neighbors who would take offense to such a generalization. Maybe MOST suburbs are similar and uninteresting, generally speaking. But saying all are the same across the country is like saying all people of a particular race do the same particular things. There are plenty of suburbs throughout the nation that have their own interesting aspects. I won't debate this further here b/c this discussion belongs on another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Cities, however vary widely-that is why this is the city vs city forum not the metropolitan area vs metropolitan area forum. Suburbs have historically been detrimental to most cities across the country, i.e. "white flight". Some of us, including myself, have gotten off topic arguing about MSA's or CSA's or whatever, when this is actually about San Francisco and Philadelphia-two of our country's most intriguing and vibrant cities. So let's try and stay on topic
Maybe you should take this up with the OP then. You know, the poster who keeps bringing up the "parameters set forth in the original post?" Does this look familiar:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
San Francisco has gorgeous bay views and hilly terrain. The city has about 800,000 people and a metroploitan area of about 4.3 million.

Philadelphia has a river running through it and complete ocean access..it also is still a vital manufacturing center. The city has about 1,400,000 people and a metropolitan area around 5.8 million people.
A false comparison between metros is what has held this back from getting anywhere since it began, and the ignorant stubbornness and immaturity of the OP is keeping things that way.

Last edited by jman650; 08-31-2009 at 05:40 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 04:36 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSwaggerfeld View Post
Your right, street drug, nasty whores, after hours hole in the wall spots, $5 blowjob, Philly is for U Champ.
Drugs, Blow jobs (For 5 Bucks??? Really U cheap m-f-er...)After hour dumps?/
You must've experienced this lively nite life first hand young man... I applaud you, Now go see a Dr.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlSwaggerfeld View Post
I wouldnt know, thats not how Im living.
YOU BROUGHT IT THE HECK UP.... CHAMP!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
I agree with the general gist that the metro populations don't really matter that much in this comparison.

But you "hijacked" (note the spelling) your own thread by refusing to acknowledge what every source besides the census, and all who have actually spent time in the bay area, say. You stubbornly insist that when comparing the regions we have to go by the Census MSA, when that doesn't reflect the reality.

If you had just acknowledged that SF/Oakland/San Jose are all clearly part of the same interconnected, unfettered urban area (or taken our word for it, along with the numerous credible sources we've posted, and the satellite images, etc. etc.) we could have moved on. But you insisted on sticking to this 4.3 million number which has no basis in reality out of sheer stubborness. And you refused to directly address any of the substantive points people have made regarding why theyre the same metro area.

So, next time, if you don't want your thread "hijacked", either make reasonable arguments that directly address the points we're making, OR don't stubbornly refuse to acknowledge what is plainly obvious.

For the purpose of comparing what the metro areas have to offer, you have to include Silicon Valley/South Bay/San Jose as part of SFs metro area, otherwise its a disingenoous comparison.
Spot on! This is exactly what has been the issue here from the jump. The metros could have been excluded from the discussion from the get go if that's what the OP wanted to do, but since he/she decided to include them there needed to be realistic versions to compare. Its ridiculous how immature his/her approach has been to dealing with this issue.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
But see you're talking to someone who actually has to pay in order to get any action, so don't expect him to understand.
BUT SEE... HEeee... BROUGHT It up!!!! IT "BEING" $ 5.00 BLOW JOBS, on top of Drugs, WHORES & bombed out after hour nite spots!!
HE MUST KNOW THIS Shizznit FIRST HAND.. Then he turns around & says that's not how I'm living... WTF??

Then you jump in & start to back him up by falsely accusing DC of buying hookers... DH...

Old 08-31-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
let's change philly too
We might as well since you've already changed SF!

Quote:
Where do we stop...trenton...reading...allentown...Scranton... York...Harrisburgh...noone will ever agree on these parameters.
We should stop at wherever metro Philadelphia ends in all reality. Not to make it a contest between SF and Philly, but to compare the two metro regions in the various areas that apply, within their realistic boundaries. Whatever truly makes up metro Philly should be compared to whatever truly makes up metro SF. Bottom line.

Quote:
I'm all for that if the others agree....city limits of San Francisco vs. city limits of Philadelphia.
Wow, you're such a pioneer. The only thing is I suggested this already 4 days ago on post #331 when I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
We either need to be looking at the City of SF vs. the City of Philadelphia, or the Bay Area vs. Philly's metro. Not half of the Bay vs. all of Philly's metro, sometimes combined with whining that Philly's metro should extend to include more cities. The Bay is the Bay, and Philly is Philly. Let's either compare the two or close the thread.
Quote:
Half the thread is people whining about what to call or not call San Francisco...childish, in my book.
90% of everything you've posted in here has been childish in my book, and you've spent most of your time on this thread whining yourself. Look in the mirror for once.

Quote:
I have only heard FRISCO people calling Philly names
This is true b/c decided to throw all your jabs at SF by making veiled insults which I have quoted earlier. Its cowardly of you to try and act as though you're innocent here when you know how negative your intentions were with many of the comments you've made. If you had even the slightest hint of integrity you'd at least cop to it. But of course you won't do that.

Quote:
When people make fun of me and my deceased father how should I respond and what does that tell the board and the world about some of San Fran's residents; especially when they are winning...YOU TELL ME! My father died a horrible death and I'm supposed to take these punks seriously...WOULD YOU????
As low as I think of you, I'm sorry to hear that your father died a horrible death. I have nothing against him and that's unfortunate to hear. But you opened the door for comments to be made towards him when you said this:

Quote:
AS my dad would say...you're full of canal water.
And the only comment I made in response to that was my way of saying that I didn't think it was very clever. Who else are you talking about here?? Either someone/people said things that have since been removed and I never got a chance to read them, or you're continuing to play the martyr here and over-dramatize the thread once again. With all the passive-aggressive little jabs you have thrown you'd better be prepared to deal with people not coming at you politely.

If someone insulted your late father that is wrong and should not have happened. But I didn't read anything by anyone doing any such thing beyond my response to your comment, and that was reacting to your use of your father in order to attempt to insult me. So you can't blame me for that one, and I didn't go any farther than that. If you're touchy about your dad, then why did you bring him up in order to insult someone else? Seems like you were trying to set a trap there and are now playing the victim. And that sounds like your M.O.

Quote:
Do posters agree to use city boundaries as parameters in the discussion...this would eliminate the disagreement on MSA's etc.
Do you agree to?? I suggested it quite a while ago and you never showed any interest in doing so at the time. And I was quoted by at least one other poster when I suggested it, so it would be nice if you'd finally get on board. City vs. city is just fine with me, and is metro vs. metro as long as we are using the realistic metros. I don't understand why even for the sake of argument you haven't been able to simply do that.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:36 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,515 times
Maybe we could create a new thread for discussions on the formal boundries of MSAs. People seems to be pretty wound up over the topic.

It looks like the results from the completely meaningless pole are pretty clear. People prefer SF. That is not really a surprise. SF is a romanticized city, while, opinions on Philly are mixed.

IMO, Philly is one of the more underrated cities. But, as I said earlier I couldn’t place it above SF.

However, in the real world I could see Philly as a better fit. SF maybe nice, but it is unaffordable to most people.

One could find a descent apartment in Center City, for the same price as a broken-down place in the SF suburbs.

Faced with that choice, I could see going w/ Philly.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Your friends are idiots and they can be slumlords in any city in the USA, not just Philadlephia. Tell them to put the Pabst Blue Ribbon down and get their act together and buy into Chestnut Hill,Soceity Hill, Main Line,West Mount Airy.

Maybe you go-getters can put your change together and buy La Ronda (1929)which is about to be bulldozed to make way for a new 10,000 sq ft mansion.

Township Delays Fate of Main Line Estate

That would be very nice but also, if they want to purchase the fixer upers then that's fine too but when they do, they need to "Fix em' up"..
Block by block they can change the face of those areas.
Soledad O'brien did her expose on CNN last month & there was a guy from SF or Oakland who's an artist & he had a vision for his worn down community, then he made it into a plan and now a decade later the place is a vibrant, inhabitable, & safe community.

They could do the same.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
BUT SEE... HEeee... BROUGHT It up!!!! IT "BEING" $ 5.00 BLOW JOBS, on top of Drugs, WHORES & bombed out after hour nite spots!!
HE MUST KNOW THIS Shizznit FIRST HAND.. Then he turns around & says that's not how I'm living... WTF??

Then you jump in & start to back him up by falsely accusing DC of buying hookers... DH...
WTF?? Dude, who cares? You're responding to someone who isn't even a member anymore about something that wasn't even attempting to connect to what the thread was supposed to be about. Go to sleep.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
All the transplants and anyone who doesn't really care about baseball tend to root for the Giants like people root for the Yankees. Even people in Sacramento root for the Giants over the A's, SF has the image and Oakland does not. But the small fan base the A's do have are great, hardcore fans who love their team through thick and thin. If you had ever been to the Oakland Coliseum you would know why few people attend the games and the team has been sh*tty for a while now. If Oakland had a nice stadium like SF then I guarantee they would have better attendance. The coliseum is crap and the neighborhood surround it is even worse. Anyways, I know my rant doesn't change anything but I am a lifelong A's fan and it just pisses me off how everyone loves the Giants even though they haven't accomplished nearly as much as the A's. Remember getting swept in 89 Giants fans? Oaktown won that Battle of the Bay.
Maaaan It's been 20 years?? I remember that series didn't you guys have an earth quake during a game?? I rooted for the A's that year..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City