Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:28 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There are abandoned homes in Philadelphia that have been that way for 50 years. That would never happen in San Francisco because of the value of Real Estate. There people will pay $750,000 just to buy a lot and tear down the house.
I really do not know if that is true or not. However, when houses are abandoned and the taxes not paid....one would assume the house would be condemned and torn down; like in any other city.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:49 PM

221 posts, read 797,902 times
I can't believe there are still people trying to claim San Francisco and San Jose are not in the same metro area. It is absolutely ludicrous.

The Philly to NY comparison is more akin to Bay Area to Sacramento (approximately the same distance), and no one would EVER try and claim the Bay Area and Sacramento are part of the same metro area.

Driving from SF to San Jose (half hour w/ no traffic) on 101 or taking Caltrain (35 minutes on the express) you feel like you're going through one city. The population signs are the only indication youre not. Same with Oakland to San Jose (And clearly, SF and Oakland border each other).

This isn't any cohort...Anyone whos lived in or spent significant time in the Bay Area will immediately tell you SF/Oakland/San Jose are all part of the same metro. Like someone said, its a triangle of cities with unfettered development in between that are economically, culturally, and socially dependant on each other. The physical geography of the area (surronded by hills and mountains) makes it even more apparent.

Its crazy that there are people on this board who wont accept this..It's like arguing that the sky isn't blue.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
There are abandoned homes in Philadelphia that have been that way for 50 years. That would never happen in San Francisco because of the value of Real Estate. There people will pay $750,000 just to buy a lot and tear down the house.
The 2009 median sales price for this quarter, in San Francisco is $472,000.00 and prices have fallen, in the same quarter by a WHOPPING 31%. Philadelphia has a much lower median value...but they did not experience the unsustainable housing boom like other metros.; it's median house price for the quarter fell by 10.5%. Philadelphia's median housing price was $211,000.00

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 08-29-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
San Francisco would still come out on top if there was a new survey,it is more of a vibrant city than Philly by far.Just to come in to San Francisco on the Golden Gate Bridge,especially at night says it all.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:32 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
I completely agree that San Francisco and San Jose are one metro but a lot of people are discounting the fact that Philly and New York, which are the two biggest cities on the entire East Coast, lie only 45 miles apart. How can you say that this area is less integrated or powerful. I don't really care about tv affiliations or whatever else people are using to make their point. Of course New York and Philly have separate identities. New York is the biggest city in the most powerful country in the world. And of course San Jose will be integrated into SF metro simply because it's not a very influential city. Philadelphia's and New York's GDP are 9th and 2nd in the world respectively. San Francisco's is 15th and San Jose and Oakland are not even in the top 100. Give credit where credit is due

Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3465 View Post
I can't believe there are still people trying to claim San Francisco and San Jose are not in the same metro area. It is absolutely ludicrous.

The Philly to NY comparison is more akin to Bay Area to Sacramento (approximately the same distance), and no one would EVER try and claim the Bay Area and Sacramento are part of the same metro area.

Driving from SF to San Jose (half hour w/ no traffic) on 101 or taking Caltrain (35 minutes on the express) you feel like you're going through one city. The population signs are the only indication youre not. Same with Oakland to San Jose (And clearly, SF and Oakland border each other).

This isn't any cohort...Anyone whos lived in or spent significant time in the Bay Area will immediately tell you SF/Oakland/San Jose are all part of the same metro. Like someone said, its a triangle of cities with unfettered development in between that are economically, culturally, and socially dependant on each other. The physical geography of the area (surronded by hills and mountains) makes it even more apparent.

Its crazy that there are people on this board who wont accept this..It's like arguing that the sky isn't blue.
I understand your arguement...you are not listening to the other side. One can include Allentown, Reading, etc. with Philadelphia...if you disagree with the Census Bureau, than by all means feel free to contact them and correct their errors.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM

250 posts, read 246,095 times
san francisco: 61.54%
philadelphia: 28.46%

you are the weakest link.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
san francisco: 61.54%
philadelphia: 28.46%

you are the weakest link.
San Francisco by a landslide or is that a hillslide. Seattle versus San Francisco would be more competitive.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:07 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
San Francisco by a landslide or is that a hillslide. Seattle versus San Francisco would be more competitive.
Yes this scentific poll is very accurate. Now lets see how many more new accounts get opened.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:24 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
From my experience there are abandoned homes in North Philly that were abandoned when I was a Child. I am on Social Security. Like many Rust Belt Cities you can't give them away. Philadelphia was the 3rd Largest City with 2 million people when I was young, now it is barely 1 million

Where I lived in San Francisco there was hardly a house under $1 million, for a row. At the worst month of the mortgage crises there were 2 forclosures in the zip code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City