Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 02:36 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,520 times

Advertisements

Why do people's preference have to be related to day to day life? Lots of things don't make a difference in day to day life. For example, skyline, but it is still widely discussed here. Besides, being less popular and less important would in the end harm everybody living in the city because eventually it will mean less world-class anything available to everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What do these two things have to do with someone's preference for a city? I just don't see how popularity or importance make a difference in day to day life.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Why do people's preference have to be related to day to day life?
When we are talking about what place to LIVE in, day to day LIFE plays a role in that.
Quote:
Lots of things don't make a difference in day to day life. For example, skyline, but it is still widely discussed here
Yes, another thing people on here obsess over too much imo, seems kind of shallow to me but to each their own.
Quote:
Besides, being less popular and less important would in the end harm everybody living in the city because eventually it will mean less world-class anything available to everyone.
haha, well for some people things like cost of living, crime, schools, infrastructure, people, etc.. are a lot more important than operas, fancy restaurants, etc..

People have different preferences and I think you need to open your eyes and see beyond your own.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
I did read the thread. Its constant bickering from both sides. The truth is people have their preferences. Some chose philly over sf and vice versa. There was plenty of mudslinging from the san francisco side too, don't play yourself.
Never said there wasn't nor did I ever say Philly has nothing to be proud of. If you can identify that people have their own preferences, then why are we not allowed to here? Yes, there was mudslinging from both sides. That doesn't mean that the Philly people should get a pass and be allowed to continue it without us responding. Don't play yourself.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times
10. Philadelphia | Most Stressful Cities | Comcast.net San Francisco is at number 5.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
By "an outsider's point of view," I believe you mean "my point of view."

What's interesting is that I agree with all of your characterizations but I picked Philadelphia. Philly is definitely older, larger, more run-down, poorer, less popular, and overall less important -- but that doesn't mean there aren't other vital factors that make a city better to live in.

Secondly, is this to assume that every person in Philly -- based on those broad characterizations -- would live a life that is inherently worse than someone in San Francisco? How about if the San Franciscan lived in Tenderloin and the Philadelphian in Rittenhouse Square or Chestnut Hill?

Clearly there are always exceptions, and sometimes we have to think outside of the box to shed the inane stereotypes to be reminded of those exceptions.
I agree and I'd like people to shed their stereotypes of SF as well. Generalizations such as those don't tell the whole story, or even half of it in many cases.

And I believe by an outsider's view he did mean himself, in that he is neither a resident of Philly, SF, NYC or Mexico City. I could be wrong tho.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yes, there was mudslinging from both sides.
All I did was post stats that describe the kind of people who live here. That didnt sit well with some.

Indeed this area is a magnet for wealthy and highly educated women, immigrants, people of color and young people.

Best Cities For Young Professionals

1 San Francisco
2 Minneapolis
3 Houston
4 New York
5 Boston

Quote:
The City by the Bay outshined the rest of the field in attracting alumni from the nation's top schools. More of the class of 1998 from Harvard, Stanford, Rice, Princeton, Duke and Northwestern picked San Francisco (http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/06/24/afx5146141.html?partner=lingospot - broken link) as home, 10 years out of school, compared with any other metro.
Best Cities For Young Professionals - Forbes.com

Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Actually another staple clomes to mind . "Theres a sucker born every minute."

Chester County Pa Median income $83,000. Median Home price $350,000.

Alameda Ca. Median Income $ 67,000. Median Home value $600,000.
That doesn't tell us anything. There are plenty of upscale communities in Alameda County where housing is insanely expensive and there are many, many low income residents of Alameda County in other parts, so the median figures tell us nothing. Nice try though.

You also might want to keep in mind that Alameda County has 3 times the population of Chester County, so comparing figures like this won't get you anywhere.
Quote:
Alameda County California Ehhh what ever floats your boat I suppose. Looks parched, brown,and quite frankly not a very inviting place to live. Not my cup of tea at all. You need to pay 2x as much to live there than in suburban Philly? Whew.
We could take a random BS shot of Chester County and say the same thing.

Looks pretty brown and boring to me. Definitely not my cup of tea, but to each his idiotic own I suppose.

Doesn't look to interesting here either. Maybe try looking at decent shots of Alameda County before presenting the nicest shots you could find of Chester County to compare them to.

http://calivermorerealestate.com/wp-content/themes/thesis_15/rotator/CA%20Livermore%20statue%20in%20downtown%20area.jpg (broken link)

http://baynature.org/articles/jul-sep-2003/reservoirs/captionimage_mainarticle (broken link)

http://livingnewdeal.berkeley.edu/map/pictures/IMG_6102.jpg (broken link)

I totally see what you mean here. Look how parched, brown, and uninviting Alameda County is.

Quote:
Way to make yourself look like a jackass on this one.Looks like you really endeared yourself to the board. We've tried educating you on the ebbs + flows of the city of Philadephia. It along with NYC helped build this country from scratch.Philaldephia was known as the "Workshop of the World" thru the 19th century, there was going to be an eventual price to pay. The Bay Area had to deal with none of its poisons. Age, deindustrialization, The Great Migration of hundreds of thousands of poor uneducated southern sharecroppers being dispersed into your cities in a decades time.

Real classy of you to pick on the city of Philadelphia.
So NOW its not classy to do this when the stats are burning you. NOW its about showing some class and mean ol' us are picking on poor wittle Phiwadewfia. Please . A minute ago I was hearing that big tough Philly was a Rottweiler and SF was a Golden Retriever. Now you're being picked on? Why were you just picking on Alameda County then?? Man some of you Philly boosters are unbelievably hypocritical. Don't dish it if you can't take it. Talk about making yourself look like a jackass lol.

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
All I did was post stats that describe the kind of people who live here. That didnt sit well with some.
Yeah I wasn't even referring to you when I said that. I was accounting for the early posts by people who are no longer members on here that talked some trash. The Philly contingent really just started going on the attack after that and felt the need to keep it going even when we attempted to be civil or even peaceful. So I definitely was not trying to include you in that. You've been speaking rather highly of Philly throughout this whole thread as far as I can recall.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
That doesn't tell us anything. There are plenty of upscale communities in Alameda County where housing is insanely expensive and there are many, many low income residents of Alameda County in other parts, so the median figures tell us nothing. Nice try though.

You also might want to keep in mind that Alameda County has 3 times the population of Chester County, so comparing figures like this won't get you anywhere.

We could take a random BS shot of Chester County and say the same thing.

Looks pretty brown and boring to me. Definitely not my cup of tea, but to each his idiotic own I suppose.

Doesn't look to interesting here either. Maybe try looking at decent shots of Alameda County before presenting the nicest shots you could find of Chester County to compare them to.

I totally see what you mean here. Look how parched, brown, and uninviting Alameda County is.

So NOW its not classy to do this when the stats are burning you. NOW its about showing some class and mean ol' us are picking on poor wittle Phiwadewfia. Please . A minute ago I was hearing that big tough Philly was a Rottweiler and SF was a Golden Retriever. Now you're being picked on? Why were you just picking on Alameda County then?? Man some of you Philly boosters are unbelievably hypocritical. Don't dish it if you can't take it. Talk about making yourself look like a jackass lol.
Nice pictures -Boston14

Old 09-08-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Nice pictures -Boston14
Thanks man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City