Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 01:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
San Francisco has gorgeous bay views and hilly terrain. The city has about 800,000 people and a metroploitan area of about 4.3 million.It's economy(GDP) ranks 15th in the world. It has Golden Gate Park and those stunning Bridges. It is our about our densest city with great weather and various ethnic groups. The skyline is pretty nice also. see... File:FinancialNorth.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ....and.... File:SF From Marin Highlands3.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Also San Francisco is more liberal and I could only find these pictures. Feel free to post better pictures.

Philadelphia has a river running through it and complete ocean access..it also is still a vital manufacturing center. The city has about 1,400,000 people and a metropolitan area around 5.8 million people. It's economy(GDP) ranks 9th in the world. It has many pocket parks downtown and Fairmount Park...one of the nation's largest.(city parks) It too is a dense city, but not as dense as San Francisco. I has a tolerable 4 season climate, which many people prefer. It too has many ethnic groups and a good skyline. The city's center is a great asset and is essentially a more manageable Manhattan; one can walk center city easily.

San Francisco has that "West" coast feel; while Philadelphia has a Northeast feel to it and the city is older and filled with history. To see Philadelphia check... Philadelphia Skyline at Night : Photo Detail :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia .... and... File:GardenStreetBridgeSchuylkillRiverSkylinePhila delphiaPennsylvania.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia These are the only pictures I could find...Feel free to post your own.

I love both cities and I grew up in Pennsylvania; so I am a bit biased. I would call it a draw but center city Philadelphia is wonderful; so, by a hair I vote for Philadelphia.
I could not find what the objective to the OP's post was.I don't see any pertinent questions asked,there are nice descriptions and facts of each cities, but not what city do you prefer to live in? or what city has a nicer skyline ? or what city is more scenic ? etc.,just facts and descriptions.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:05 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
alright, i didn't mean that...just saying that we're all having fun on this board and i understand that stats mean something to some extent. but loving a city is subjective. to not call philly dirty is a lie, but the same goes for hartford, ny or dc or atlanta. i just like my cities dirty
And what makes you think there is no dirt in SF?

Walk around the Tenderloin, Mission, Central Waterfront, SOMA, Hunters Point, Visitacion Valley, Potrero Hill, and tell me there's no "dirt" anywhere. There are soot covered buildings along main streets all over, as well as graffiti...but maybe you mean "dirty" as in tons of abandoned buildings? that's something the Northeast/rustbelt beats the westcoast out on usually, especially someplace as tightly packed as SF.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:29 AM

246 posts, read 758,775 times
The objection was to him completing excluding the South Bay and Santa Clara county from SFs metro (saying it had only 4.3 million, when its established that the SF bay area has around 7.3 million).

For the purposes of this comparison, there was no need to cut the bay area in half. Culturally, socially, economically, in terms of unfettered urban development--the bay area includes SF, SJ, and Oakland, along wtih everything in between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I could not find what the objective to the OP's post was.I don't see any pertinent questions asked,there are nice descriptions and facts of each cities, but not what city do you prefer to live in? or what city has a nicer skyline ? or what city is more scenic ? etc.,just facts and descriptions.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I was a 10th Grader when this happened.
I was in 7th and on crutches lol. I remember my grandma going to get the car and having me wait on the steps of the Burlingame Library and then being like, "greeeeaaaat." Outdoors its not nearly as scary. I was just watching this one window across the street wobbling really hard like it was about to shatter. I didn't realize how serious it was until we got home and turned on the radio (since the power was out). Then I started hearing about all the deaths and people looting stores and crap.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Drama that you cause with your drive-by trolls.
Exactly, its freakin pathetic. You already pointed it out like 20 posts before this one and pitts is trying to do it again. So ridiculous. At least it seems to failing at this point since most of us are pretty tired of it.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Lol well if we're going there SF can get a bit dirty at times too.

YouTube - Fight in SF

YouTube - California Street Fight!

Better version but not embedded:

Most Daring - Cat Fight! - from TruTV.com - Video

Oakland

YouTube - East Oakland Shooting

YouTube - DWB - Driving While Black - SYDEWAYZ

Quote:
lol - just kiddin man!

this battle is garbage anyway...who cares??

philly kicks ass and probably could beat up SF in a fight anyway

like i stated before its a pitbull vs a golden lab

and btw, i actully LIVE in Philadelphia i don't need the main line or buck co fighting my battles
Lol "probably" being the key word here, and that's only b/c it'd be a 2-on-1 fight. But if we talking natives then it would be more like a 5-on-1 fight, and I'd definitely give it to Philly there. I just know that I'd be knocking some Philly teeth out on my down! Lol.

I'm with you tho man, this battle IS garbage, especially at this point.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I never was able to either and he/she pretended to ignore it when I'd questioned it earlier. He/she kept referencing it earlier and then claiming things were mentioned in there that aren't even there lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishimm View Post
The objection was to him completing excluding the South Bay and Santa Clara county from SFs metro (saying it had only 4.3 million, when its established that the SF bay area has around 7.3 million).

For the purposes of this comparison, there was no need to cut the bay area in half. Culturally, socially, economically, in terms of unfettered urban development--the bay area includes SF, SJ, and Oakland, along wtih everything in between.
Agreed. But I think that part of this thread is pretty much over now. At least I hope it is. And if the OP would quit trolling maybe things could stay calm like they are now.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:06 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Why are all these videos of black people? Can't we get some diversity going here? Violence is for everyone!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:41 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Lol "probably" being the key word here, and that's only b/c it'd be a 2-on-1 fight.
pfft. Those are the best kind. East Oakland Like Whaattt!!!

I normally would never talk like that-but sometimes it comes out.

Quote:
I just know that I'd be knocking some Philly teeth out on my down! Lol.
I gotchu. they aint nobody.

Once again-that sort of language is totally out of character for me. LOL

Excuse me while I look for the very expensive eyeglasses I threw on the floor in order to give effect to those 2 swagger-filled statements.

Quote:
I'm with you tho man, this battle IS garbage, especially at this point.
Yes, Philadelphia rocks!

Old 09-13-2009, 04:18 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,588,790 times
Quote:
Yes, Philadelphia rocks!
So does SF/Oakland/San Jose!

This may sound crazy, but I think underneath all this hostility -- and aside from our ingrained, individual preferences that may not always be articulated tactfully -- there is definitely a lot of mutual respect underlying this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City