Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:32 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Clean Polo, the skyline picture of San Jose is 6 years old. They've added alot more buildings since. If you look at the skyline from I 888 which is north of downtown SJ, and you look at it close up, it's really impressive. The best vantage point is along highway 87 because the freeway parallel the downtown. Also looking at it from the South is quite nice. If you drive along 280, which is South of downtown, is decent. Just watch Man Vs Food's San Jose's episode, and you'll be impressive. Remember, Philly is like a taller version San Jose. The tallest building is Comcast tower, which is 70 story. I subscribe to it, and they spend all their money on that tower. I'm paying for it!
Do you mean 880?

Old 07-03-2010, 06:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
The tallest building is Comcast tower, which is 70 story. I subscribe to it, and they spend all their money on that tower. I'm paying for it!
So thats what this is all about.

Please Stop saying that Phillys downtown is just a taller San Jose.
Louisville is a taller San Jose.
Philadelphias downtown is on a completely higher level compared to San Jose.
This is silly to even compare these 2 downtowns.

San Jose has alot of positive attributes eventhough they may be somewhat sterile, but you are barking up the wrong tree on a head to head "downtown" matchup with Philadelphia. You are doing a disservice to San Jose and Philadelphia.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:41 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Has anyone realized that the Koolaide continues to be drank? just saying...

Old 07-03-2010, 09:58 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,589 times
Philly > San Francisco
Why?

Because its on the east coast and the east coast kicks the west coasts a**.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:08 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times
^ Word.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:46 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Rainrock, you've probable never been to San Jose. I've have. Downtown SJ is nice than Philly's and better put together with minimal surface lots and old towers that will be demolised. Some buildings in Center City are dirty and abandoned, while there's none in downtown San Jose. Just check out San Jose and see for yourself. It a much more pleasant urban area. Philly's ok but not great. It's alot better than 13 years ago and way better than the Rock's days when it was a dump and People would go "Yhay" just like Rocky would.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
It's still apples and oranges, sir.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Quote:
Rainrock, you've probable never been to San Jose. I've have. Downtown SJ is nice than Philly's and better put together with minimal surface lots and old towers that will be demolised. Some buildings in Center City are dirty and abandoned, while there's none in downtown San Jose. Just check out San Jose and see for yourself. It a much more pleasant urban area. Philly's ok but not great. It's alot better than 13 years ago and way better than the Rock's days when it was a dump and People would go "Yhay" just like Rocky would.
Center City overall was not a dump 13 years ago. Less polished? Perhaps. A dump? Absolutely not. Keep in mind you seem fixated on the negative in regards to Philly. You see the downtrodden block of Chestnut but refuse to acknowledge the plethora of amazing blocks of Society Hill,Rittenhouse,Washington West,Queen Village,Univ City etc etc.

Center City Philly is a world class urban utopia oozing with character, culture and vibrancy. Its one of the countrys very best jewels. Arguably the best 100,000 person urban neighborhood in the country.

San Jose is not.

From what I have gathered from photos and reports downtown San Jose seems like a very nice conventional downtown where you can have a great time. A bigger Albuquerque or Austin perhaps? Nice pleasant town.

Downtown San Jose appears to be a nice sterile community where software + tech workers raise their families. On the otherhand Center City Philadlephia is a living museum of history where musicians,actors,artists,doctors,chefs,designers study learn and begin their careers.

Last edited by rainrock; 07-04-2010 at 07:04 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 09:07 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
I voted too close to call. As a city I like Philly because it has a more blue collar conservative feel, I love cheesesteaks, it is realer, and the neighborhoods are great. I like San Francisco because of the natural beauty but the hipsters are annoying, fake, and they dress like fools. One plus to me for a city is if it has its known for its own food styles such as cheesesteaks to Philly, chicken wings to Buffalo and clam chowder to Boston.

Given the opportunity to move to either one I would move to Philly.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 07-04-2010 at 09:15 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Downtown San Jose appears to be a nice sterile community where software + tech workers raise their families. On the otherhand Center City Philadlephia is a living museum of history where musicians,actors,artists,doctors,chefs,designers study learn and begin their careers.
Since we're dealing strictly with stupid stereotypes, try not to shoot me and steal my shoes when I call your post a piece of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City