Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 01:55 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Downtown San Jose is lively day and night
Dude, c'mon. No its not. It shuts down for the most part relatively early, and compared to other major US cities downtown SJ is not particularly lively. Trust me, my old job required that I drive around and find heavy foot traffic in order to promote product, and I was sent to downtown SJ regularly. On a day to day basis downtown SJ was not anywhere near as lively as one would expect for a city of 1 million+. Maybe during Sharks games or Music in the Park, etc., but on an average weekday (even including Friday nights) its not what anyone who has been around at all would describe as "lively day and night." Give it a rest b/c you're not even telling it true.

Quote:
but it's relavent.
WRONG. Its absolutely not relevant to this thread at all, nor is much of anything you've been saying factual. You're pretty much just turning these threads into us having to take whatever you post and translate it into the exact opposite in order to decipher the truth.

Quote:
Philadelphia is little more lively than San Jose's. I didn't see it that way when I was there day, but I'm giving the benefits of doubt.
How big of you!

Quote:
Santa Cruz, CA is way more shopping active than Philly's Center City. People walk side by side all the time in downtown Santa Cruz.
WTF?? Lol, woooooow.

Quote:
The same goes for SF. Downtown SF, as we know, destroys Philadelphia's Center City with Bloomingdales, Niemin Marcus, Nordstrom's and Sak Five Avenue. Philadelphia has most of its shopping in King of Prussia, which I like. Downtown SF's nightlife is concentrated around the periphery of its downtown like South Of Market and North Beach.
Well welcome back to the topic, but have you ever been to any of the cities you're discussing here? You have no idea what you're talking about. And how is SF's nightlife confined to 2 neighborhoods? I won't even bother to list every hood in SF that has nightlife b/c you seem to repel facts, but you are waaaay off base again, as seems to be the only way you are capable of being.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
You don't want to disservice your New York City since I've been going there since 1978 and observed what it was like for good and bad, now and then. I have a whole lot of experience with the Apple, and that's for another forum and another time. I don't want to dignify the response to the Apple as well. They also can't vouch for San Jose since they have their own fault.
Oh Lord. Dude, do NOT even go there. Just please stop already. SMH.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Well jman650 we'll take it from here. War with SF! First, the retail in Downtown San Jose. Target, Marshall's and Tjmax are at the Market Center, the northwest gateway to downtown San Jose. It's on Coleman. Ross is on First St, by Santa Clara. Market by Safeway is on Second and San Fernando, obviously, you haven't been there for awhile. You just mouth off and put San Jose down from SF. Do you? Yes, as I stated, I've been to cities just recently, which you haven't. I was just Santa Cruz. That's for another thread. You obviously don't go to Downtown SJ at night. What about all those restaurants such PF Chang, Gorden biersh and Original Joes and Billyberk's, which is a cool hang out. Later on, play pool at South First Billiard, watch a movie at Camera Cinema's or watch comedy at the Improv's. What about Civic Auditorium for mid-sized live concerts. How about all the live theaters and a thriving art scene. You just mouth off! Off course downtown is lively. Are you snoozing?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
durf is a troll, or really likes dressing for less...Usually when people tout downtown shopping though, Ross, Target and TJ Maxx, or food like PF Chang's lol stuff that is anywhere USA is not mentioned. I think durf is trying to be a SJ booster but now trying to make it look bad? I am not sure...

Old 07-05-2010, 04:37 PM

Downtown San Francisco is a total cesspool! Haven't you been on Market St. What about the civic center? Don't get me going started about toiletry Tenderloin which is still infested with drugs and loosers who just got out of prisons because the crime lab got contaminated. We all know downtown SF is the dirtiest, slummiest and blighted downtown in the U.S. if not world. They(hotels and chamber of commerce people) put up the billboards throughout the city, exclaiming " Mayor Gavin Newsom, please, please clean this filthy, filthy city, and it's embarrasing!" One tourist asked, "am I in Kakistan? Remember the Borat? I think SF is even dirtier than Kakistan. The Financial District is a virtual ghost town,especially on Weekends and Nights. The only area in Dt SF is Union Square, which is very lively and SoMA, which people debate whether it's downtown or not-that's up for debate. Area between Second and First along Mission, near Transbay Terminal, is infested with homeless people. What happen, Gavin? I thought you were going to clean up the city. Oh, your homeless program is out of money. The nightlife is mostly outside the downtown, and Philly kills you that. I like the Mission District scene and near Union St. Sorry, SF. I didn't want to do this, but I was pushed these San Franciscan bloggers. I rest my thread.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,868 times
Outstanding.

This thread has had a lot of twists.

Now Playing : The Bay Area Brawl

Old 07-05-2010, 04:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Durf, all day yesterday you criticized Philadelphia and it's downtown. Now today it's San Francisco, those are the only two options.

I think you're bipolar or something if your not a troll. If you are, then well yeah you're trolling.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:55 PM

OmShahi, no, I'm just describing SF. It's the second most vibrant city in America. It's just so dirty. There are alot of positive attributes to this city. Even though I put this city to shame, it's way, way more vibrant than Philly's, especially when it comes to shopping. I'm just exposing its ugly side. They just need to serously clean this place. Otherwise, you can enjoy the beauty of this city from the boat ride. This city is nicely packed with little surface lots, unlike Philly. It's more a complete, albeit dirty downtown. I'm very consistent. I was pushed to the edge by San Franciscan bloggers to expose its other side that I try to ignore. The threat is proven and done!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:04 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Dude, just go away. You arguments are not only skewed, but factually incorrect.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
OmShahi, no, I'm just describing SF. It's the second most vibrant city in America. It's just so dirty. There are alot of positive attributes to this city. Even though I put this city to shame, it's way, way more vibrant than Philly's, especially when it comes to shopping. I'm just exposing its ugly side. They just need to serously clean this place. Otherwise, you can enjoy the beauty of this city from the boat ride. This city is nicely packed with little surface lots, unlike Philly. It's more a complete, albeit dirty downtown. I'm very consistent. I was pushed to the edge by San Franciscan bloggers to expose its other side that I try to ignore. The threat is proven and done!
I've got some great pictures of San Francisco! But unfortunately I can't share all of them here, it has a lot of pictures of my family with some of the buildings in downtown. So I won't even bother uploading those.

But I'll describe my last visit out of many visits in picture details:

Here's the drive in from San Jose:

Going downhill:

Some really pretty tree outside of the new Science Museum:

My tragedy:

^^ It's not even like it was parked in a bad part of downtown, it was actually in a good area, some hobo stole my laptop and made off with the car radio too. It's pretty tragic.

^^ I know it didn't come out clear, but it wasn't my camera, it was just the weather that day....

But I had a good visit in San Francisco nonetheless. But I do agree, they kind of do have to clean up some parts of downtown, some parts are actually quite nicely kept, but others and I don't even mean the bad areas, are kind of dirty with trash on the ground and such... but it's a very nice city nonetheless, one of the best in USA! And easily one of my favorite places to visit, since I have family in the Bay Area.

I have some other pictures of the skyline from the bridge and all that (some pictures without family members in it), and pictures of most of the buildings individually, but those will be uploaded yet another day... too many pictures for today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City