Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Metro has the Best Shopping?
New York Metropolitan Area 81 54.36%
Los Angeles Metropolitan Area 30 20.13%
Chicago Metropolitan Area 12 8.05%
Other 26 17.45%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 AM

403 posts, read 1,189,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I disagree. Then why is it millions and millions of people come to NYC to buy clothes? Also, Why the fashion of "I love NY" was adapted in the other states? For example, I saw people wearing t shirts of "I love Atl", "I love SF", why? This was a part of the fashion style that was in NYC, then other states adapted it. Lastly, there are more fashion trends that are from NYC that other people adapt.

Also when New Yorkers are out of town they are easily spotted by the way they dress. So no city really has a unique style lately? I disagree.
You're living in the past my dude. No one looks to NYC anymore for what's hot. Like the other guy said most areas set their own trends now. What's hot in NYC might not be hot in ATL or Chicago.

And that New Yorker so "easily spotted by the way they dress" can easily be from NJ, CT, Philly, Boston, DC, or even Virginia. It's not all about NY fam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:23 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Anyway, here are some stores that Dallas has that Atlanta doesn't.

CH Carolina Herrera
De Beers
Custo Barcelona
Bottega Veneta
Barney's Flagship Store (not the same as Co-Op)
Herve Leger
Roberto Cavalli
Oscar de la Renta
Lancôme
Ted Baker
Tod's
Henri Bendel
Movado

Here are some stores that Atlanta has that Dallas doesn't.

Bally
Roberto Coin
Jeffery
Elie Tahari
Karen Millen
Nicole Miller
Calvin Klein
Theory
Carol's Daughter
Façonnable
Charriol
Vidal Sassoon
St. Croix Shop
Vera Bradley

Metro wise, Dallas wins (since you would include Highland Village). City wise, they are more equal.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:35 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Anyway, here are some stores that Dallas has that Atlanta doesn't.

CH Carolina Herrera
De Beers
Custo Barcelona
Bottega Veneta
Barney's Flagship Store (not the same as Co-Op)
Herve Leger
Roberto Cavalli
Oscar de la Renta
Lancôme
Ted Baker
Tod's
Henri Bendel
Movado

Here are some stores that Atlanta has that Dallas doesn't.

Bally
Roberto Coin
Jeffery
Elie Tahari
Karen Millen
Nicole Miller
Calvin Klein
Theory
Carol's Daughter
Façonnable
Charriol
Vidal Sassoon
St. Croix Shop
Vera Bradley

Metro wise, Dallas wins (since you would include Highland Village). City wise, they are more equal.
Actually I say that Dallas wins over all. Those Atlanta stores you listed aren't the big luxury names like Valentino, Ferragamo, Fendi, Cavalli, etc. Not to mention that Dallas is the home of Neiman Marcus and probably the beginning of southern fashion.

And as I said before, a city that does have a Barneys is a tier over a city that doesn't.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Actually I say that Dallas wins over all. Those Atlanta stores you listed aren't the big luxury names like Valentino, Ferragamo, Fendi, Cavalli, etc. Not to mention that Dallas is the home of Neiman Marcus and probably the beginning of southern fashion.

And as I said before, a city that does have a Barneys is a tier over a city that doesn't.
I agree on mostly everything you said except that part. While a city that has a Barneys is something to brag about (I guess), doesn't really make the city have good shopping. A good example is Seattle. It has a Barneys, but the overall shopping scene is kinda sparse compared to other cities its size.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
I agree on mostly everything you said except that part. While a city that has a Barneys is something to brag about (I guess), doesn't really make the city have good shopping. A good example is Seattle. It has a Barneys, but the overall shopping scene is kinda sparse compared to other cities its size.
Yeah you're right. The only point I was really trying to make is that Dallas has virtually everything Atlanta does and then some. A BIG then some.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:07 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Why did we just spend the last 3 pages discussing cities that aren't even in the poll?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
^Probably becasue there is an "Other" category?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Well I know that Atlanta only has one Neiman Marcus and I think Dallas got 2 or 3 of them. Dallas also has Barneys New York which is a MAJOR high end department store. Neither Houston or Atlanta has one. This is a store that will only be found in the top fashion cities. I don't even think Chicago has one (don't quote me on that).
It all depends on demographics and the Trade Area. Dallas has a big trade area compared to Houston, and probably Atlanta. ATL will most likely get Barney's before Houston due to it being isolated, and not having much competition. Houston competes with Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin. However, while SA and AUS aren't exactly upscale cities, they are definitely pulling them quick; especially Austin.

It has nothing to do with being more "fashionable".

Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah you're right. The only point I was really trying to make is that Dallas has virtually everything Atlanta does and then some. A BIG then some.
True.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,421 times
Quote:

Yeah Dallas has some very upscale stores but Dallas also has some of the most bama dressing people in the world. I have never seen so many Reebok and leather short wearing people in my life as I have in Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City