Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:38 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,244,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrsc View Post
OAKLAND, CA is #1... Period.

Oakland Sideshows
Haha, they're still doing sideshows? Anything on suburban street racers? Might not exactly fit your criterion of "ghetto", but all the more deadly nonetheless.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,244,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
What's a sideshow?
Kind of akin to an informal Galveston Kappa Beach Party, but in the middle of town. Just imagine 30 cars and dozens of youngsters packed in the Wal-Mart parking lot on Westheimer and Dunvale, complete with loud music, car "stunts", dancing, women, video cameras and all manner of shenanigans.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,595,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Detroit
Camden, NJ
Irvington, NJ
Saginaw, MI
Pine Bluff, AR
East St. Louis, MO
Gary, IN
New Orleans, LA
Compton, CA
Flint, MI
Trenton, NJ

Kinda sorta in order
Just for the record, East St. Louis is actually in Illinois, not Missouri.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,684,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Kind of akin to an informal Galveston Kappa Beach Party, but in the middle of town. Just imagine 30 cars and dozens of youngsters packed in the Wal-Mart parking lot on Westheimer and Dunvale, complete with loud music, car "stunts", dancing, women, video cameras and all manner of shenanigans.
Kinda except not in parking lots but in street intersections..unfortunately that's what it's grown to be it used to be more a parade of sorts traditionally by people bringing there cars out in the middle of the night with 30/40/50 cars in a "train" with music and etc.,somewhat of a "moving party" now it has turned into something different but there is hardly ever video cameras around and they are completely scheduled last minute no days,weeks in advance and happen all the time or atleast did the past couple of years I heard they where cracking down pretty hard but last year I was driving through Oakland stopped and got some food at 3.a.m and sure enough there was a small sideshow going on and the police even drove right past without trying to break it up..and they have been going on for decades it's kind of a "Oakland Tradition" or was at one time.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:35 PM

300 posts, read 952,774 times
I can't imagine a city worse than Detroit, is Gary really that bad?

Flint's crime has skyrocked recently. My cousins live in Flint and they both have had their cell phones stolen this year. A group pulled a gun on my cousin (she is 18) the other had it pick pocketed by a guy talking to her.

A few years ago my friend's brother was shot and killed in Flint at the Autozone on dort hwy.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:48 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,690,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Just for the record, East St. Louis is actually in Illinois, not Missouri.
WOW, really.
You learn something new everyday

Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 AM

265 posts, read 597,508 times
This is just my opinion, but the term ghetto is bandied around far too much nowadays. Just because a place is run down and it's residents are poor does not make it bad.

That being said, I'd put Detroit on the top of any list. That place is hell from top to bottom, and NO ONE should live there.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:23 PM

93,489 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
This is just my opinion, but the term ghetto is bandied around far too much nowadays. Just because a place is run down and it's residents are poor does not make it bad.

That being said, I'd put Detroit on the top of any list. That place is hell from top to bottom, and NO ONE should live there.
Tell these people that:HISTORIC INDIAN VILLAGE

Boston-Edison Historic District, Detroit Neighborhood

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Greater Corktown Development Corp

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Welcome to Palmer Woods

Parkland, Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation

UDCAonline.com

Virginia Park Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Vi...roit,_Michigan)

Last edited by Yac; 08-22-2013 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-04-2009, 08:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times
Port Authur,Tx!

Old 04-05-2009, 03:48 AM

3 posts, read 12,703 times
i wrote this in another thread.

there is no worse area bad is bad. there are bad areas prone to violence in every big city. some just have more than others.

i been as in hung out or lived in hoods across the east coast and grew up in the hood myself. anacostia in south east dc. north camden nj. the south bronx. roxbury in boston. central ward in newark. parramore in orlando many others.

some have less people then others and more abandoned buildings but there is reason for that. usually becuase everyone who can move, left. thats the situation over west baltimore. in other places like harlem there is a housing shortage in the city so the poor are stuck where they live. some places dont look that run down overall but are still full of violent crime like parramore in orlando.

overall though murder although always a bigger risk then anywhere else it aint the main thing you concerned of unless you have a problem with someone or are involved in drugs or money scam. your more worried about getting robbed or beat up or into a problem over something dumb. also most people are poor and there are bigger problems then just violence. over in harlem you have thousands of people struggling in projects thats 20 floors tall everywhere. like the whole city of camden is run down really poor. the schools suck in these places and living conditions are not the best.

there is is no worse hood. there is just bad.

and dont think just becuase you can walk or drive through an area that its crime free. thats one of the most naive things i have read usually on the internet. when you become a regular in the area you start seeing the real problems in the ghetto like people starting problems with you for no reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City