Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:18 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,874,046 times

Advertisements

here is a good doc on miami, low quality but still worth the watch.

Rampage (full movie)

Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 PM

36,677 posts, read 67,656,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
I wouldn't say worse crime wise, but when it comes to what you mention than yes, but not all SF hoods are nasty and grimy like the Tenderloin.
Never said that all of SF looks like that-and most people obviously know that. But Oakland has nothing that looks like the Tenderloin.

Quote:
It just so happens to be that much more of Oakland has bad spots than good and the good spots are concentrated in together in its own sections of town
Uh, Maxwell Park, Millmont, Frick, Jack London Square are, Temescal, Allendale, Laurel, Dimond etc. Not located in the hills and not bad at all.

Quote:
Because I can! On a real not though most of the flatlands are.
Obviously you 'can', but it sounds like you get all your info on Oakland from the evening news. That's hardly an accurate description of the whole city.

Quote:
But to always downplay the amount of problems that exist in Oakland and act like the crime rate isn't bad at all?
The issue I take with posts such as yours is the implication (IE 'War Zone') that its just that, a War Zone. When it most certainly, even in the majority of the flatlands, is NOT.

Quote:
You are fooling yourself and others who have never been making Oakland sound like some paradise where crime is non-existent.
Never said it was a paraside, Oakland has a high crime rate-but you seem to think Oakland is defined solely by its crime rate and to those of us who live here, its not. And speaking of people who have never been. Most of the time, people come to Oakland thinking one thing and once they actually get to know the place, are surprised at how nice it can be.

Perhaps Im wearing rose colored glasses. Im willing to admit that. But I came back here from High and Mighty Tiburon because I missed life in Oakland. And I have absolutely no regrets.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,299,907 times
C'mon...just spend a few days in Miami and you'll realize that this place is ghetto-central. Heck, even the rich people here are insanely ghetto. Miami is all about "da 305" culture....trashy, brash, ghetto, in your face and loud.....I don't think any US city outranks Miami on overall ghettoness (that is unless you don't consider Miami to be a part of the US?). It's not just about crime either....Miami isn't the worst in the US when it comes to crime, but when it comes to the quality of people, this place has to be the most ghetto....and it makes Oakland, CA look like the cultural capital of the United States!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,864,039 times
Augusta, GA is pretty Ghetto for a city its size. So is Macon, GA.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:32 AM

36,677 posts, read 67,656,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
and it makes Oakland, CA look like the cultural capital of the United States!
Actually, Oakland has a very large concentration of artists. This has been the case for decades.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,864,039 times
Sounds like a negative thread to me... just curious why some are closed and others stay up.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 AM

8,297 posts, read 23,153,003 times
Memphis, New Orleans, Detroit, East St Louie, Jackson Miss,

Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,436,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
C'mon...just spend a few days in Miami and you'll realize that this place is ghetto-central. Heck, even the rich people here are insanely ghetto. Miami is all about "da 305" culture....trashy, brash, ghetto, in your face and loud.....I don't think any US city outranks Miami on overall ghettoness (that is unless you don't consider Miami to be a part of the US?). It's not just about crime either....Miami isn't the worst in the US when it comes to crime, but when it comes to the quality of people, this place has to be the most ghetto....and it makes Oakland, CA look like the cultural capital of the United States!
Atlanta has a similar feel. They love their hip-hop "culture" there.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,390,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Atlanta has a similar feel. They love their hip-hop "culture" there.
What? Which Atlanta are you talking about? Certainly not the Atlanta I love and live in.

Atlanta and Miami have absolutely NOTHING in common, with the exception that they are both Southern cities.

Sounds like you need to turn off The Real Housewives of Atlanta. It's not real.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM

268 posts, read 949,789 times
Atlanta may love hip hop but what major city doesn't, Atlanta is home to the fastest growing millionaire population in the country it also has the most black millionaires, the second richest majority black county in the nation, and just the fact that it is the fastest growing metro in the nation for the past 9 years and if it was that ghetto why would people continue to move here, just because Atlanta has a large black population doesn't make it ghetto actually it has a very affluent black population with over half being upper middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.