Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,588,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
For larger cities (200k+):
1. Detroit
2. St. Louis
3. New Orleans
4. Cleveland
5. Baltimore
6. Memphis
7. Birmingham
8. Newark
9. Oakland
10. DC

For smaller cities (10k-200k)
1. East St. Louis, IL
2. Camden, NJ
3. East Cleveland, OH
4. Gary, IN
5. Compton, CA
6. Harvey, IL
7. Chester, PA
8. Flint, MI
9. Youngstown, OH
10. Trenton, NJ

Those may not be exact and I probably missed a few, but thats basically it.
IMHO I would replace Cleveland ( It still has many decent parts and the downtown is seeing revitalization) with Philadelphia. Within the last 10 to 15 years large swaths of formally stable neighborhoods has seen serious decline and and suffered large scale white or middle class flight.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,786,010 times
Oakland and Richmond California are definatly in the top 10 check their crime rates. Straight Ghetto.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 PM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Oakland and Richmond California are definatly in the top 10 check their crime rates. Straight Ghetto.
Yup. We have a crime rate.

You jealous?

Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,930,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
IMHO I would replace Cleveland ( It still has many decent parts and the downtown is seeing revitalization) with Philadelphia. Within the last 10 to 15 years large swaths of formally stable neighborhoods has seen serious decline and and suffered large scale white or middle class flight.
So you would put Philly as the 4th most ghetto large city in the US?

Phillys bad, but I dont think so. Possibly top 10 if I looked into it more, but I doubt it would be any higher than top 8. Ive personally spent a lot of time in Philly, up to months, and although there are bad areas on every side of town, overall more of the city is nicer than Cleveland.

Im from Cleveland, and it was named the 7th most dangerous city in the US, and was named the poorest large city in the US several times. This was all within the last 5 years. Along with the horrible school system with the lowest graduation rate of all large cities, and the high amount of decay and abdonment, its more than enough to get it into the top 5. Sadly.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yup. We have a crime rate.

You jealous?
Yea Oakland has an awful crime rate. That Oscar Grant thing, and the 4 cops killed all with in the last 5 months. That place is really looking like a warzone. NOT JEALOUS

Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,847,811 times
I never been to Oakland but I do believe you guys are over exaggerating Oakland being so called ghetto. Their are other areas that suffer from serious problems of poverty and lack of jobs around the country. Oakland does not fit the description of a extreme proverty stricken community. If I was from Oakland I would take offense to these false claims.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Dude Oakland is consistantly every year on the fbi's 10 highest crime rate cities. How can you say the claims that oakland is not ghetto are exaggerated. Have been to Oakland after 1975? because um thats about the least time there were solid manufacturing jobs in that town. All the port does there is ship things in, not out. Times have changed and Oakland got left in the dust hard.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:55 AM

210 posts, read 846,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
I never been to Oakland but I do believe you guys are over exaggerating Oakland being so called ghetto. Their are other areas that suffer from serious problems of poverty and lack of jobs around the country. Oakland does not fit the description of a extreme proverty stricken community. If I was from Oakland I would take offense to these false claims.
It is not an over-exaggeration when people are saying that oakland is ghetto, because Oakland is a very dangerous city in places and poverty is high. It is more extreme than a lot of other places b/c of the contrast between the really rich and the really poor. There are some nice neighborhoods with reasonably low crime rates though. Most all of them in the hills and parts of North Oakland. With most of the flats being one giant war-zone. I personally think Oakland and Richmond are both in the list of top 10 most ghetto cities or damn near at least.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:38 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_810 View Post
It is not an over-exaggeration when people are saying that oakland is ghetto,
San Francisco's most ghetto areas are worse than Oakland's most ghetto. Nastier, Grimier, Grittier.

Quote:
because Oakland is a very dangerous city in places and poverty is high.
Exactly. In places.

Quote:
There are some nice neighborhoods with reasonably low crime rates though.
Actually there are lots.

Quote:
With most of the flats being one giant war-zone.
Why do you say that?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:38 PM

210 posts, read 846,036 times
I wouldn't say worse crime wise, but when it comes to what you mention than yes, but not all SF hoods are nasty and grimy like the Tenderloin. Take the Western Addition for example..doesn't feel or truly look like a ghetto in areas but is.

Yup in more place than there are places that are good.

Fair enough, there are some as Oakland is a large city and all large cities have their good spots and their bad spots. It just so happens to be that much more of Oakland has bad spots than good and the good spots are concentrated in together in its own sections of town

Because I can! On a real not though most of the flatlands are.

I understand that you have pride in your city, that is respectable. But to always downplay the amount of problems that exist in Oakland and act like the crime rate isn't bad at all? You are fooling yourself and others who have never been making Oakland sound like some paradise where crime is non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City