Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
warsaw is not just the financial center of poland, but the entire eastern european economy... you can't specifically look at warsaw as being exclusively polish.
The Eastern European Economy is NOT larger or more important than the Midwestern US.

Puhleeze.

Likewise, the Malaysian Economy is not more important than the Western US-which clocks in a GDP of $3 Trillion+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:04 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,259,290 times
[quote=18Montclair;7640200]The Eastern European Economy is NOT larger or more important than the Midwestern US.

Puhleeze.

Likewise, the Malaysian Economy is not more important than the Western US-which clocks in a GDP of $3 Trillion+[/quote

Don't worry Montclair this survey is deeply flawed. Just look at the -Beta cities and you can openly question why poor Beirut, Lebanon, with all the problems it has been going through since the 1970s, is ranked equally with Houston or Montreal!

Just a little common sense, and some basic knowledge of geography, history and current affairs and you will find a whole bunch of examples like that in this survey.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:46 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Here are the Alpha++ and Alpha+ Cities compared to American CSAs as far as GDP.

Combined Statistical Area/ Total Gross Product($150B+)
Greater Tokyo GDP $1.5 Trillion
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA $1.284 Trillion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA $825.3 Billion
Paris Metropolitan Area $731 Billion
Greater London $669 Billion
Washington-Baltimore-Hagerstown, DC-MD-VA-WV $500.0 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI $490.9 Billion
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA $475.5 Billion
Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH $383.8 Billion
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX $344.5 Billion
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX $341.5 Billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD $330.0 Billion
Hong Kong $293 Billion
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL $262.6 Billion
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL $248.0 Billion
Buenos Aires GDP $245 Billion
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI $233.0 Billion
New South Wales State(Sydney) GDP $224 Billion
Greater Madrid GDP $224 Billion
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA $217.9 Billion
Toronto Metro GDP $196 Billion
Moscow GDP $181 Billion
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ $179.4 Billion
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI $186.7 Billion
Greater Milan GDP $174 Billion
Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO $162.3 Billion
Singapore GDP $161 Billion
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA $157.8 Billion
Beijing GDP $146 Billion
Seoul GDP $146 Billion
Shanghai GDP $128 Billion
Maharashta State(Mumbai) GDP $106 Billion

Kuala Lumpur GDP $100 Billion

Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Eastern European Economy is NOT larger or more important than the Midwestern US.

Puhleeze.

Likewise, the Malaysian Economy is not more important than the Western US-which clocks in a GDP of $3 Trillion+
Importance depends on the context. Warsaw incfluence over Eastern Europe may be bigger than Chicago influence over the US.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,113,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
How does a city like Buffalo not even make the smallest list. Yet Rochester its smaller and a less national city an hour away makes the list. How is Atlanta ahead of Philly? For that matter how is Portland ahead of KC, Pittsburgh and Cleveland? Your telling me Richmond, Va is ahead of Las Vegas? New Castle a little city in PA is ahead of Cincinnati and New Orleans. come on this list is crap. Total crap. How does a city of 450'000 be over a city of 1 million? I wouldn't put any stock into this. Mexico city metro pop over 20 million less important than Toronto a metro area of 5 million. Come on tell me some more lies.....

San Antonio is not even listed, 2.1 million people, 6 fortune 500, Metro GDP nearly 80 Billion, and a growing healthy economy. Maybe the creator of the list visted San Antonio and got bad service at a restaurant on the Riverwalk.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:26 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,788 times
Warsaw & Chicago are both alpha- cities.

GDP output is just one of the factors. Nobody would say Mexico city is more important than San Francisco just because it has a larger GDP.

Quote:
Sorry, but Warsaw is not above Chicago.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:04 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,725 times
I don't really understand the interlocking social model-is it explained somewhere on that site? The list seems as good as any since its only opinion. I really would love to know what the qualifications are since there are some really questionable picks.

Again, I can't say too much without really understanding their process but here goes:
1. Seems a bit China-centric. I can understand Shanghai and Hong Kong both being Alphas but not Beijing as well...I know they just hosted the Olympics and are the seat of political authority for a very central government but it seems laughable to say it's a full 3 sections ahead of Washington D.C.-D.C. got shafted IMO and is a city that has grown in power especially since this financial crisis.

2. I definitely wouldn't place Milan in the same category as Brussels, Moscow, Seoul, and the like. It does have lots of good art (but its cultural clout is diluted by the superb art, food, and wine found elsewhere in Italy ) and is the financial center of Italy but it lacks the immense political power of Brussels or the others or the economic power of Moscow and Seoul. I don't know if I'd include Madrid either, for the same reasons. Mumbai is questionable too and don't know why it's there if not for its huge population

some points I commend them on:

1. Singapore being A+
2. Tokyo being A+ I actually somewhat agree with Tokyo not being Alpha++ with London and NY. Tokyo is top 3 for sure but it's having to more and more share power with other faster-growing Asian cities like Shanghai.
3. Chicago being Alpha-. I agree with this and consider Chicago in the same league as Prague, Sao Paulo, and Istanbul-Although I'd lump Mumbai in with them also.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:08 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,725 times
Quote:
Here are the Alpha++ and Alpha+ Cities compared to American CSAs as far as GDP.

Combined Statistical Area/ Total Gross Product($150B+)
Greater Tokyo GDP $1.5 Trillion
New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA $1.284 Trillion
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA $825.3 Billion
Paris Metropolitan Area $731 Billion
Greater London $669 Billion
Washington-Baltimore-Hagerstown, DC-MD-VA-WV $500.0 Billion
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI $490.9 Billion
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA $475.5 Billion
Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH $383.8 Billion
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX $344.5 Billion
Dallas-Ft Worth, TX $341.5 Billion
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD $330.0 Billion
Hong Kong $293 Billion
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL $262.6 Billion
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL $248.0 Billion
Buenos Aires GDP $245 Billion
Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI $233.0 Billion
New South Wales State(Sydney) GDP $224 Billion
Greater Madrid GDP $224 Billion
Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA $217.9 Billion
Toronto Metro GDP $196 Billion
Moscow GDP $181 Billion
Phoenix-Mesa-Scottsdale, AZ $179.4 Billion
Minneapolis-St Paul-St Cloud, MN-WI $186.7 Billion
Greater Milan GDP $174 Billion
Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO $162.3 Billion
Singapore GDP $161 Billion
San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA $157.8 Billion
Beijing GDP $146 Billion
Seoul GDP $146 Billion
Shanghai GDP $128 Billion
Maharashta State(Mumbai) GDP $106 Billion

Kuala Lumpur GDP $100 Billion
You make a good point but GDP is only one factor that should be included. There is political power and soft cultural power also. Not to mention alot of economic activity in some of these cities is absolutely unknowable and can only be estimated at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City