Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:13 PM

9,245 posts, read 13,368,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Actually, the biggest surprise to me was that Tokyo wasn't Alpha ++ like NYC and London. I've always considered those three to be, "the Big Three."
Actually I always consider those three cities and Paris to be the big 4!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,376,381 times
A couple notes
> Surprised to see LA drop out; i thought for sure LA was Alpha
> Is there a slight Asian bias going on here? The alpha+ definition is geared toward it "alpha+ cities Other highly integrated cities that complement London and New York , largely filling in advanced service needs for the Pacific Asia"
> For all the hoopla with Dubai, I expected to see it a bit higher..

Old 02-23-2009, 08:29 PM

While not sure what standards they used to come up with list - I smell anti-American BS here big time. Either that or the danger of letting biased people vote for their own nation's cities instead of being fair & realistic.

Really - Kuala Lumpur, Mumbai and Buenos Aires are Alpha cities ahead of Chicago (alpaha-), Washington (beta+) and Boston (beta-)? While Buenos Aires is important to Argentina - how is it so internationally important?

Seriously a list that comes out with poverty stricken Caracas or Jakarta as Alpha cities over San Francisco is not worth much IMHO.

This list is BS.

Last edited by LINative; 02-23-2009 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: This list is BS

Old 02-23-2009, 08:31 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,875,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
Thats what I was thinking too. It must be a total global thing. Because I am pretty sure nationaly Buffalo beats out Rochester. Larger population, proffessional sports, etc...It must be about what city affects other global cities. Seeing it like that, now I can understand why Toronto would edge Mexico city, which has four times the population. I can also see Atlanta having Coca-Cola. That alone I am sure would help them tremendously in this poll.
In addition to Coca-Cola, there is UPS, CNN, Delta Airlines, Equifax, The Home Depot, Georgia-Pacific, Newell-Rubbermaid, Rollins/Orkin, Turner Broadcasting - all Atlanta-based companies with an international presence.

I tried to figure out the criteria for this ranking, but I gave up...I guess it's not that important.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,618,136 times
This list is as retarded as those who live and die for it. Sorry, but most of the cities on that list I disagree with 100%. Probably one of the worst compiled lists Ive seen in a long time.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,302,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
This list is as retarded as those who live and die for it. Sorry, but most of the cities on that list I disagree with 100%. Probably one of the worst compiled lists Ive seen in a long time.
Wow. And not long ago you were happily quoting the previous list to prove the point that Chicago is an alpha, world class city. Everything changes with the perspective, I suppose

Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Wow. And not long ago you were happily quoting the previous list to prove the point that Chicago is an alpha, world class city. Everything changes with the perspective, I suppose
Dementor - this list ranks Jakarta - Indonesia the same as Chicago.

Do you agree with this?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:16 PM

6,692 posts, read 12,202,891 times
Of all the hundred or so cities on that list, Atlanta seems to be the one that gets picked on for its status and many want to "dethrone" it. I do however disagree with Los Angeles being a Beta+ city. It should be Alpha+ or at least Alpha.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,343,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Of all the hundred or so cities on that list, Atlanta seems to be the one that gets picked on for its status and many want to "dethrone" it. I do however disagree with Los Angeles being a Beta+ city. It should be Alpha+ or at least Alpha.
Do you believe Atlanta is more important than Houston??? Coke and CNN are only so important to a certain extent. You guys act as if the world would die without these things. Houston is home to oil and one of the world's most busiest ports. This alone is reason why this list isn't making sense. Seriously, COKE is as important as the nations capital???

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,246,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRick1 View Post
How does a city like Buffalo not even make the smallest list. Yet Rochester its smaller and a less national city an hour away makes the list. How is Atlanta ahead of Philly? For that matter how is Portland ahead of KC, Pittsburgh and Cleveland? Your telling me Richmond, Va is ahead of Las Vegas? New Castle a little city in PA is ahead of Cincinnati and New Orleans. come on this list is crap. Total crap. How does a city of 450'000 be over a city of 1 million? I wouldn't put any stock into this. Mexico city metro pop over 20 million less important than Toronto a metro area of 5 million. Come on tell me some more lies.....
Maybe they meant New Castle, England. Still. . . And I do agree that third-world cities with all their health problems, substandard housing, etc, should not be above "High sufficiency" at the highest (and probably should be ranked lower). I just got back from Brazil with all that still fresh in my mind's eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City