Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times

Advertisements

By MSA(Metropolitan Statistical Area)

From the Report:
The study uses “The Forbes Global 2000” ranking for 2010 which is the longest worldwide listing of large corporations publicly available.

For each city the revenues of firms headquartered there are combined to produce the research results: total revenues for 450 metropolitan areas from their Forbes2000 corporations is USD 29,890.17 billion

To facilitate interpretation and ease comparison with other studies we have reclassified the companies operating in these various industry categories into the ten basic sectors of the Global Industry Classification Standard (GICS) used by Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) and Standard & Poor's (S&P).

GICS Sectors:
1 Consumer Discretionary: Hotels, Restaurants, Leisure, Media, Retail
2 Consumer Staples: Food Markets, Household & Personal Products, Food, Drink & Tobacco
3 Energy: Oil & Gas Operations
4 Financials: Banking, Diversified Financials, Insurance
5 Health Care: Health Care Equipment, Drugs & Biotech
6 Industrials: Business Services & Supplies, Capital Goods, Conglomerates, Construction, Trading, Transport, Aerospace & Defense
7 Information Technology: Software & Services, Technology & Hardware, Semiconductors
8 Materials: Chemicals
9 Telecommunications Services
10 Utilities

GaWC Research Bulletin 381

8 US Cities made the ranking
1 New York
2 Dallas
3 San Francisco
4 Chicago
5 Fayetteville, AR(LOL)
6 Houston
7 Minneapolis
8 San Jose

Not bad USA.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 06-21-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,008,050 times
You missed one: Fayetteville, ARK

That's not some sort of mistake either, there is a reason it's 2 companies made the area rank higher than Munich, Moscow, Houston, Minneapolis, The Hague, Hong Kong, Shanghai, San Jose and have parity with Osaka.

Actually, it's probably all due to just one of the corporations...crazy when you think about it.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Congrats to the US cities but this only takes into account HQs

As stated many times there are private companies not included and even with many Foreign cos that have a majority of their mamangement and operations in other locations none of those dollars count. Not to mention this is purely revenue

And Walmart and Fayeteville or Minneapolis or Sn Jose a larger economy than Boston, DC, LA, or Philly - I would think not but an interesting list none-the-less

Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Look at Wally World put ol' Fayetteville in the big leagues...

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You missed one: Fayetteville, ARK

That's not some sort of mistake either, there is a reason it's 2 companies made the area rank higher than Munich, Moscow, Houston, Minneapolis, The Hague, Hong Kong, Shanghai, San Jose and have parity with Osaka.

Actually, it's probably all due to just one of the corporations...crazy when you think about it.
Thanks...I caught that and changed it.

Wal Mart is like a country by itself.

We love to hate that company but it is a beast of a company and the very fact that it propels an otherwise unknown city on to the world economic stage in this ranking just shows how powerful Wal Mart is.

Otherwise, Fayetteville is an anomoly-a very big anomoly. LOL.

Im impressed by Dallas and Houston although I shouldnt be considering theyve long established themselves as HQ cities.

Minneapolis and San Jose are also very impressive but like the 2 TX cities they are longtime HQ cities.

Speaking of SJ, the combined total for SF and SJ is $865 B which would place the Bay area at 5th. I know, I know we arent combined as a single MSA but it makes me feel better just putting it out there. LMAO.

And I think it must have pained the folks over at GAWC to realize that Tokyo and Paris topped NY and London. LOL.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:38 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Wow, look at the gap between Tokyo and the next city.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

As stated many times there are private companies not included and even with many Foreign cos that have a majority of their mamangement and operations in other locations none of those dollars count. Not to mention this is purely revenue

And Walmart and Fayeteville or Minneapolis or Sn Jose a larger economy than Boston, DC, LA, or Philly - I would think not but an interesting list none-the-less
A lot of these cities listed also have huge private companies...

Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,008,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

As crazy as it sounds, if we are just ranking cities on the revenue of their corporations, Walmart beats all of those places without even looking.

I had to look it up though, the Fayetteville-Bentonville MSA is also home to Tyson Foods and JB Hunt transport services (one of or the largest ground transport companies).

That's a pretty impressive resume for such an out of the way place.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:47 AM

469 posts, read 887,043 times
Im impressed Dallas made #2 for the US

Old 06-21-2011, 09:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,198,740 times
^That IS impressive, actually! I'm surprised it beat out Chicago actually...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City