Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 08:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That last part I agree with. That's why I rank DC ahead of SF and Chicago.

But I agree with Resident09 that looking at alone is giving GDP too much credit. Dallas got example has a huge GDP but apart from it being centrally located it is hard to say why it is important. It has a big centrally located airport but that could easily shift to Phoenix, Denver, Chicago.... It is headquarters for a lot of big companies but again they can shift anywhere.
It's why I always grade different metrics like GDP per capita, and total personal income etc. In addition to the overall GDP total.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 08:59 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
It's why I always grade different metrics like GDP per capita, and total personal income etc. In addition to the overall GDP total.
Same here.
Philadelphia for example I continue to rank in the top 8.
People look just at GDP and say it is being overtaken by Atlanta, Miami, DFW, Seattle... I think Philly still ranks ahead of all of those despite its more modest GDP growth. GDP is just a snapshot in time.
Slow and steady wins the race baby.
Economies boom and economies bust, but one thing that has been consistently is that Philly has been amongst the top.

Old 12-18-2022, 09:06 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Same here.
People look just at GDP and say it is being overtaken by Atlanta, Miami, DFW, Seattle... I think Philly still ranks ahead of all of those despite its more modest GDP growth. GDP is just a snapshot in time.
Economies boom and economies bust, but one thing that has been consistently is that Philly has been amongst the top.
100%.

Old 12-18-2022, 11:11 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,614,605 times
Quote:
Same here.
Philly doesn't rank ahead of Atlanta and Dallas. I'm pretty sure the 2022 GDP of Atlanta has surpassed Philadelphia considering the 2021 numbers are extremely close. The metro population between the two will be very close and Atlanta also have more total jobs in its metro despite having less people at the moment. Philly's strength over Atlanta and Dallas continues to revolve around urbanization. Atlanta and Dallas continues to outpace it in nearly every analyzed metrics and no one can deny that. It's okay to recognize that Philly is on the verge of falling out of the top 10...It will still be a great city for sure.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:32 AM

836 posts, read 851,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Here’s the full report: https://www.kearney.com/documents/29...=1666554433000

You might be disappointed, though. Besides having the expanded lists in the appendices, most of the info is the same as what’s posted on the website.
Thanks for the info! It looks like Miami is gradually growing while Atlanta is at a standstill according to the chart. If you followed the chart from 2017 to the present, Atlanta seems to have made more progress over Miami, but I believe that Miami will eventually make more progress this decade as the years come by. Especially when air connections in Australia, Japan, and hopefully to Hong Kong, Taipei, and Singapore happens, that would greatly improve Miami's connectivity.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:43 AM

836 posts, read 851,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Philly doesn't rank ahead of Atlanta and Dallas. I'm pretty sure the 2022 GDP of Atlanta has surpassed Philadelphia considering the 2021 numbers are extremely close. The metro population between the two will be very close and Atlanta also have more total jobs in its metro despite having less people at the moment. Philly's strength over Atlanta and Dallas continues to revolve around urbanization. Atlanta and Dallas continues to outpace it in nearly every analyzed metrics and no one can deny that. It's okay to recognize that Philly is on the verge of falling out of the top 10...It will still be a great city for sure.
Philly will always be an urban city. The real question is how big will it be and how dense will it be. Miami is already in the Top 10 American cities (min. 100K) for density with 12,284 ppsm, recently surpassing Chicago. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami are practically newcomers to the global scene and it would be interesting to see how all those Southern cities hold up to a city like Philadelphia. So far, all those cities have either surpassed Philadelphia or about to surpass Philadelphia in the MSA/CSA, and all GDP (gross domestic product) does is measure spending in the MSA/CSA.

You'll have to look forward to 2030 and wait for the results in 2031 to fully measure which cities will grow even further and my pick for the most robust growth would be Miami by a mile followed by Atlanta. Dallas and Houston will still have reasonable growth while the Northern cities of Chicago, NYC, and Philadelphia will have minimal growth and that has a lot to do with taxation, real estate costs, available land, and how strong the job markets have which the Southern cities have a glut of in comparison to the Northern cities.

Old 12-19-2022, 08:01 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Correct. You're saying what I'm saying. Boston as an example is a leader in biotech, and other either medical or engineering based industries, as well as the higher education capital in some sense. That's the city's "niche" if you will. It works very well for them, and more than keeps things churning economy wise.
Boston is also a major major wealth management player and has an active port, tech, good tourism, and media sectors as well. It also is a philanthropic capital for the US if not THE philanthropic capital.

The economy in Boston is driven by
  • life sciences
  • healthcare
  • technology
  • finance
  • education
  • tourism
  • commercial fishing and food processing
  • publishing and government

Calling it a niche economy doesn't jibe with what we see IRL- it's probably the most recession-proof major city there is. The reason it's a juggernaut rowing as fast as it does is well beyond 3 industries. It's just as much of a one-trick pony as San Francisco...which is Tech, Finance and Port.

Boston always ranks as a top city in the US for Finance careers

https://www.investopedia.com/article...eer-cities.asp

https://www.financeinstitute.com/blo...nking-careers/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/16/15-c...p-housing.html

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 12-19-2022 at 08:13 AM..

Old 12-19-2022, 08:49 AM

9,378 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Philly will always be an urban city. The real question is how big will it be and how dense will it be. Miami is already in the Top 10 American cities (min. 100K) for density with 12,284 ppsm, recently surpassing Chicago. Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, and Miami are practically newcomers to the global scene and it would be interesting to see how all those Southern cities hold up to a city like Philadelphia. So far, all those cities have either surpassed Philadelphia or about to surpass Philadelphia in the MSA/CSA, and all GDP (gross domestic product) does is measure spending in the MSA/CSA.

You'll have to look forward to 2030 and wait for the results in 2031 to fully measure which cities will grow even further and my pick for the most robust growth would be Miami by a mile followed by Atlanta. Dallas and Houston will still have reasonable growth while the Northern cities of Chicago, NYC, and Philadelphia will have minimal growth and that has a lot to do with taxation, real estate costs, available land, and how strong the job markets have which the Southern cities have a glut of in comparison to the Northern cities.
In the end we are all guessing... I agree the 2030 census will paint a better picture. In 2022, Covid economic recovery is unsettled, the tech industry is hurting, increased COL in the South, slowing growth nearly everywhere, changing weather patterns, etc. A lot can and will change in 9 years...

I will note, growth and decline do not occur in vacuums. It's clear economic growth has slowed in many regions, even the booming Southern cities. Cities like Chicago and Philadelphia have advantages and disadvantages over Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, etc., and vice versa. It depends on how each region plays them over the next few years.

To summarize my rambling, I still consider Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia in the same general tier of major cities even if they play musical chairs in population, GDP, influence, etc.

My question is where Boston, Seattle and Miami will fall in the coming years... Historically, Boston is a bit ahead and Seattle and Miami are a bit behind...

Old 12-19-2022, 08:50 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston is also a major major wealth management player and has an active port, tech, good tourism, and media sectors as well. It also is a philanthropic capital for the US if not THE philanthropic capital.

The economy in Boston is driven by
  • life sciences
  • healthcare
  • technology
  • finance
  • education
  • tourism
  • commercial fishing and food processing
  • publishing and government

Calling it a niche economy doesn't jibe with what we see IRL- it's probably the most recession-proof major city there is. The reason it's a juggernaut rowing as fast as it does is well beyond 3 industries. It's just as much of a one-trick pony as San Francisco...which is Tech, Finance and Port.

Boston always ranks as a top city in the US for Finance careers

https://www.investopedia.com/article...eer-cities.asp

https://www.financeinstitute.com/blo...nking-careers/

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/16/15-c...p-housing.html
I think you are miss understanding his post. He meant it as a good thing. You guys are actually doing the same thing. He said there are niche industries that Boston is a caption in. Unlike places like DFW and Atlanta that are more like Hub cities, ie big because of their location and not really a champion in a major industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post

Since I was a kid I have been hearing that Miami and Atlanta are going to outgrow Houston and DFW and then the results come in and the latter 2 puts more distance between the first 2.

2000-2020 population growth:

Houston 2945k
DFW 2416K
Atlanta 1977k
NYC 1817k
Phoenix 1594K
DC 1462K
Miami 1131k
Austin 1034k
Charlotte 1161k
Seattle 975K
San Antonio 966k
Denver 806k
Tampa 780K
Philadelphia 558k
Boston 550k
Chicago 520k

Yes Miami is on the upswing, but it is one of the more expensive major metros, Houston is the cheapest major metros. Atlanta is still affordable but it is pricey compared to Houston.

I keep saying it over and over, I wouldn't make bets on short-term trends, look at the long road. Houston is making huge investments in its economy and its economy is already in good shape. I keep hearing that the US is due for an economic slump. If that is true Miami and Atlanta (Dallas too) will be hit harder than Houston. I'm not sure why, but it always seems to do best when the rest of the US is hurting.

I think it is because a lot of its economy is based on international trade and a weak US dollar results in higher numbers for Houston.

Old 12-19-2022, 09:07 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
I think you are miss understanding his post. He meant it as a good thing. You guys are actually doing the same thing. He said there are niche industries that Boston is a caption in. Unlike places like DFW and Atlanta that are more like Hub cities, ie big because of their location and not really a champion in a major industry.

Boston at #20 is about 3 spots down from SF and 8 spots down from DC. Neither Houston or Seattle (or DFW or ATL) are top 30 here and don't make the list. Seattle we often discuss as being a step (not even a tier)below Philly/ATL/MIA/HOU with Boston we usually have to say its being a slight step above PHI/ATL/HOU/MIA.

Boston also was ahead of SF in 2019 and 2017 in the Kearney Index.

the Question for me is whether Boston closer to DC/SF or SEA/HOU/ATL/DAL/PHI.

It's a bit of a tweener but trending upward I think..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City